Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stuff that happens at uni  (Read 10538 times)
Lanti SF
Honorary Roadie

Proudly diagnosed Celtaholic!

« on: September 08, 2013, 06:02PM »

Sorry I've been away for a while. The Internet here at the uni isn't very good, except for in academic buildings (which are locked on the weekends).

Anyways, besides a meltdown on Tuesday and going to the counselor to straighten things out, it's been pretty good overall since moving into uni.

The bad things as of so far (from really bad to trivial complaints):
1. The meltdown on Tuesday. I won't go into much detail besides that bad things kept piling up and the RD found me lying on the floor of the bathroom singing "It Sucks to be Me." Anyways, he sent me to the counselor, and things are getting better.
2. Unfortunately, I dropped the hint about ADHD to the counselor, and she told me that it would cost $100 (out of pocket since I don't want my parents to deal with it) to see the psychiatrist and actually get tested/diagnosed.
3. Stuff is expensive. Especially textbooks.
4. Even if the uni is 2 minutes away from a huge Asian market, the canteen still undercooks rice and can't cook miso soup.

The good things (in no particular order):
1. I Skyped with some friends from back home, and they were really excited to see me. Also, one friend from back home is planning on visiting me next Saturday.
2. No one has any problem with barefooting yet, not even in the canteen.
3. Just a few days after the meltdown, I got a few emails from my German teacher and high school chem teacher encouraging me not to give up and to keep going.
4. Today the Wifi in my room actually works!

Things I'm not quite sure about:
1. For some reason, every single chem teacher/prof I've had looks like someone I've seen on TV. My high school chem teacher looked like George Donaldson from Celtic Thunder, and now my chem prof this year looks like Nic Rouleau (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oRls87DaAA ) but with an accent because he lives in Windsor. Hopefully I don't get too distracted in his class, since I don't want another chem department fiasco like last year. Also, he promised us donuts on exam days.
2. Still a little bit nervous for my speech class. Even if our class is only 20 people, I have a feeling that I will stare at my feet the entire time. (Or for my hello-my-name-is speech I'll just get on my barefooting soapbox for a little bit to calm down tomorrow)

So wish me luck this semester, and hopefully no more meltdowns!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 07:11PM by Lanti SF » Logged

Thanks Godshorsegirl!
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 06:54PM »

Good  luck  this  year  with everything- especially  with  classes.   I'm  sure  you'll  do  fine.    Smiley

urbanracer34
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 07:37PM »

Good luck with everything Lanti! I'm sure you'll do well. Smiley

I'm Jerad. Smiley
CWazy since 2012!
CompTIA A+ certified, Long time Apple product user.

Banner by Kirstie. Thanks! Smiley
sunflower
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 08:04PM »

I love that you mentioned the good things that have happened! It's always great to stay positive.
I remember when I was taking my speech class. I was so nervous, I thought I would pass out but it turns out everyone in the class felt the same way. We ended up having a good time. Like you, my class was very small but I think that's better because it's easier to get to know your classmates and you feel less nervous talking in front of them.
I'm with you on textbooks, they just get more and more expensive every semester.

Good luck with school and everything else, Lanti!  Grin
Kevin R.I.
Featured Soloist

my two favorite green eyed ladies

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 02:51PM »

Just thought I`d mention this....WE LOVE YOU LANTI!!!!!!!!!!!    Du Bist Sehr Suss und Anbetungswerdig Wink
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 02:53PM by Kevin R.I. » Logged

thanks EVI

Hi Kev, I sneeked into your account as you know, wanted to say: love you!!!!

Love, Evi.
Hubert
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 08:47AM »

Thanks for updating us.  I know how hectic beginning a new semester at a new school can be.  Just hang in there and everything will eventually smooth out.  You may not realize it but I'm sure a lot of other students are stressed just like you.

There is no Lambe like our Lil' Lambe.  Mairead Carlin is the real deal.
Lanti SF
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 04:03PM »

Aw thanks everyone  Cheesy *hides behind shower curtain because door corners are sharp*

I was talking to the counselor today again after chem lab, since she wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to have another meltdown. As of so far, I think things are going pretty good (don't want any incidents like last year). The only little things that annoy me are just canteen food and door corners (see above), but the canteen's made up for that by offering Doeners, fish tacos, and pretty decent burgers.

As of so far, my profs are at least decent and willing to help: Chem lecture is still kind of hard to pay attention to because of the content, but chem lab seems all right. Actually, my lab prof has this huge jar of candy in his office with a sign next to it saying, "Don't even think about asking. Just take some," and he is really chill in the lab, considering how many times he mentioned, "It's okay. Accidents happen, and I'm fine with it as long as it gets cleaned up." Genetics is pretty interesting, and the prof reminds me of my high school chem teacher. As for geography and art history, I'm working with them on honors projects. (Art project= approved and will be presenting in November, will probably need some help. Geography project= still discussing thesis, but prof approves general topic)

So it's just keeping up with friends in the past, making friends at the new uni here, staying positive, and making sure this doesn't happen:

...unless the door tries to say hello to my foot again  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Thanks Godshorsegirl!
Kevin R.I.
Featured Soloist

my two favorite green eyed ladies

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 05:16PM »

we`re always around for support if you need us...uh....that`s SUPPOSED to be a positive thing  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

thanks EVI

Hi Kev, I sneeked into your account as you know, wanted to say: love you!!!!

Love, Evi.
Lanti SF
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 07:03PM »

we`re always around for support if you need us...uh....that`s SUPPOSED to be a positive thing  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Thanks Godshorsegirl!
Lanti SF
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 07:10PM »

Hello organic chem, it's been a while... Roll Eyes

Thanks Godshorsegirl!
urbanracer34
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 08:33PM »

Got any more of a progress update than that Lanti? It's been 3 months! Shocked

I'm Jerad. Smiley
CWazy since 2012!
CompTIA A+ certified, Long time Apple product user.

Banner by Kirstie. Thanks! Smiley
Lanti SF
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 07:02PM »

Got any more of a progress update than that Lanti? It's been 3 months! Shocked

Here's a list of some highlights of 2013 for me. OK, so some of them aren't really that special, but they're all firsts for last year.

1.   Joined improv club
2.   Made over 3000 cranes
3.   Joined the Society of Barefoot Living
4.   Started a blog
5.   Watched the ESC final live stream
6.   Went to CAPS (uni counseling services) multiple times
7.   Almost got kicked out of Kroger
8.   Learned how to knit (left handed)
9.   Stepped on a thumbtack (Thankfully it wasn’t too bad, but I’m still ticked off that it happened)
10.   Got a flu shot
11.   Saw people get grossed out by me ordering chicken feet at a dim sum place
12.   Successfully asked someone out (the first day of exams XD and it still feels really weird...)
13.   Applied for jobs (waiting for that tutoring job once the semester starts)
14.   Celebrated Chinese New Year away from home
15.   Learned to throat sing
16.   Discovered the Book of Mormon musical
17.   Convinced my former high school’s radio station to play ESC music
18.   Watched a uni preview of Catching Fire
19.   Lost my $2 flip flops because the communications department threw them out
20.   Bought something at the mall (I tend to avoid the mall, since I’m not a shopper)
21.   Had more than enough meltdowns
22.   Played (and then deleted) Candy Crush Saga
23.   Participated in Intergroup Dialogue, so it’s easier to talk to people
24.   Played Apples to Apples/Cards Against Humanity
25.   4.0’ed a semester at uni (endlich!)

So let's see what this year/semester brings....

Thanks Godshorsegirl!
Lanti SF
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 05:17AM »

So... today's the last orgo 1 day of the semester,  and I'm really nervous for the final even though it's my favourite class this semester. If anyone could send any good vibes I would really appreciate them.

Thanks Godshorsegirl!
Hubert
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 09:44AM »

Good vibes and best wishes for Lanti.  You always take your classes seriously and stress about them but that means you are really applying yourself so I feel like you are better prepared for finals that your classmates.

There is no Lambe like our Lil' Lambe.  Mairead Carlin is the real deal.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: