Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Review: Oklahoma City May 16th  (Read 6793 times)
Scott

« on: May 17, 2013, 03:22PM »

By one definition the most-anticipated show I've ever had, Oklahoma City would be my first ever show in the Sooner State.  As often happens, I was as excited, if not more excited, by the prospect of the friends I'd be meeting than by the prospect of a fantastic show.  Luckily I can have both, and I did.

I bought my ticket for the show on July 14 2012.  The show wasn't until May 16 2013.  A ten month wait for a specific show is a record for me.  My reasoning for going to this show was to have a show with Rachel, Alexa, and Taylor.  Later Roy committed to the show and so did Coren.  With 6 forum members we would have a formidible group.  Alexa, as host (even if an hour drive away host), began to formulate plans and finally the day came.

Roy and I would be flying together, Houston Hobby Airport to Oklahoma City Airport, Southwest Airlines.  After a short delay we were airborne and arrived just about on-time in OKC.  Coren had agreed to pick us up, and after a slight misadventure finding the right parking lot, he drove us to our hotel for check-in and then to Zio's for dinner.  Food and service at the restaurant were very good, Zio's management gets an F-.  But for me this was overshadowed by finally meeting Taylor Gibson after talking to him over the preceding three and a half years.  Also joining us was Alexa's friend Colin.  For Rachel, Alexa, Taylor, and Coren, this would be their first shows of this tour; for Colin, it would be his first show ever.

After dinner we decided to walk to the venue to save parking fees.  The problem was that the walk was more than advertised: it took a good half hour to make the trek to the venue.  For a Friday afternoon, the streets of Oklahoma City were pretty quiet (shades of Beaumont 2011!) but I must say that the city is very attractive.  Arriving at the venue, and after circling the entire building on foot to size the place up, we went inside to the will-call box office.  The Civic Center Music Hall is, by the exterior, much like the theater in Chattanooga: a 1950s era white brick structure that takes up an entire city block.  The lobby is very spacious, allowing for much mingling and roaming.  Personal facilities seem to be well-placed.  Multi-door egresses out of the building are on three sides of the structure; this would be perhaps the safest theater I would ever attend.  I will describe the interior presently.

Perhaps I should have expected this, considering it had been ten months, but there was a snafu getting my ticket at will-call; fortunately I had written and brought along the confirmation number of my purchase, as well as the sundry license ID and credit card originally used to purchase it.  It took well over ten minutes but they finally gave me my ticket.  Just before the M&G was to start, Roy came over to where Coren, Colin, and I were lounging and said that someone in the M&G had an extra unused pass; I immediately looked at Colin and said "Go!!"  He didn't seem to understand at first just how good his luck had been.  So, I was not involved with the M&G group, and Rachel asked that I stay in the lobby to hand over a ticket to local lady Cate, who had purchased a ticket that Rachel had originally purchased.  Not a big problem except there was a misunderstanding there too, which we were able to sort out only after Rachel had come out of the M&G.  Once everything was smoothed over, since it was now only about 5 minutes until the "announced" show time, we went into the theater.  I entered through the door closest to the band-side at the stage edge; this is very unusual for me, as I typically enter the venues through the doors farthest from the stage and walk towards the stage.  Coupled with this was that almost everyone had already been led to their seats; my entry into the theater was one of the most dramatic moments I've ever experienced as a fan.  The place was easily 90% full, and I could see the whole place at once, which as I said was atypical for me.  And this was also my first time being at this venue.

The theater is of the functional sort, not a restored, charming old theater.  Much like other theaters, the orchestra section slopes upward as one walks away from the stage.  The stage seemed at first to be a bit higher than average, but upon close examination it was a trick of the eye; the stage is less than four feet high, and is plenty deep.  The white tape line on the stage is only about six feet from the stage edge.  There are three balconies, each with perhaps 20 rows and all virtually full.  The lowest balcony has "wings" that extend out almost to the front orchestra row.  I settled into my second-row seat, slightly off-center to piano side, and talked across to Coren who was behind and a couple seats to my right.  As we talked, a couple behind and to my left began to engage us and were astonished that this was my sixth show on this tour alone.  But finally the lights dimmed and the time for Celtic Woman had come again.

"Awakening" had a slightly different Lisa Lambe magic spell involving the stage lights; for this one she opened her fingers slightly and (as Alexa said later) it looked like she had magic fingers; less than a minute into the song, Chloe noticed me and winked... the crowd was getting into it from the very beginning, without any prompting from us forum people, who were scattered in three different areas; however, as seems to have happened at a number of my shows on this tour, the crowd was segmented with one side making most of the noise; also, the front row, except for one guy, was basically full of zombies, as were the couple to my left, unlike the enthusiastic first-timer ladies sitting to my right; lighting began badly but got slightly better as the show went on.

From the moment when Chloe said "This... is Nocture" I thought suddenly of my most recent graphic, which I made especially for dear friend Misha, and which included the beautiful last lines of the song: "Though darkness fades/It will give way/When the dark night delivers the day, Nocturne".  Sometimes Celtic Woman's songs are more than just personal.  I don't think I have ever before had tears in my eyes so soon at a Celtic Woman concert.

For "Coast of Galicia" the crowd went NUTS!!!!  Clapping along by the crowd began as soon as the beat was set... I really noticed the choir's unplugged voices at the beginning of "Orinoco Flow" and I love it!!!... for "TAR", Lisa Lambe found a new lap, and finally Roy got that moment that had eluded him well over a year now, and of course he got the salute at the end of the song; kudos to him, I know the experience from last year myself and it proves again that good things come to those who wait... during the standing ovation for "Mo Ghile Mear" Chloe blew a kiss, another moment I will never forget: how many such moments can one brain hold? haha

During intermission there was much talking among us as we gathered together, which I had expected since so many hadn't seen this tour yet; but the time came to get back to our seats... "Amazing Grace" was once again marked by early, enthusiastic applause as soon as the tune became apparent; perhaps this was not surprising as the shows WAS in Oklahoma... another crowd-pleaser was "I Dreamed A Dream" but of course it was followed by my beloved "Circle Of Life"... wow, there is no song on this earth as fun and energizing as this year's "Nil Se'n La"; it seems that the cast is hamming it up more and more with every performance that I've seen this year... Lisa reached within for an extra special something for "Bridge Over Troubled Water" tonight... the standing ovation for "Ave Maria" didn't include the whole house, but if I could have stood up a thousand times to make up for those that didn't, I would have... Susan has tweaked "The Voice" and made her interpretation into something special; thanks again Susan... on the first chorus of "You Raise Me Up", Chloe, then Susan, and finally Lisa looked at where I was sitting; I almost trembled, even though I'm sure it was really just coincidence... what grandeur tonight for "The Parting Glass" as the crowd again went wild, especially when Anthony stepped out from the back... the crowd didn't stay standing for "Encore Finale" but I didn't care tonight, I just love this song and I was out of breath by the end; Chloe tried three times to introduce the band but the roar of the crowd drowned her out.

We headed out to the stage door to at least wave to the participants.  We actually got a chance to talk to Ray the drummer for almost five minutes, to Dermot for almost as long, and to Craig for even longer.  Dermot again made me feel like an old friend, and as he walked off to the bus he summed the night up simply: "It was electric!"  Craig took the time to sign Rachel's and Alexa's dancing shoes, and we made sure to tell him that he'd be having the experience of a lifetime at Red Rocks in three weeks!  I did have one disappointment here, but oh well.  There was actually another disappointment... saying goodbyes.  Coren, Roy, and I took our leave, and we walked another half hour back to Coren's car.  Of all the nights for me to wear my dress shoes!

Aside from the dazzling show, I'll have another good remembrance from this flat city... the local people.  About the only town that I have ever seen people like this is Roanoke, Virginia.  While in the lobby of the venue, a number of patrons were not just courteous (or curious) but just plain friendly.  In the lobby of the hotel, when I went to use the business computer to post a quick status update, even though it was midnight, a couple of guys in the lobby waiting to talk to the desk clerk asked a not- just- rhetorical: "How are you doing tonight?"  Same thing in the morning, at the continental breakfast.  Good people all, and I hope this review is a fitting tribute.

But I already have to look ahead.  As I finish this report, I have less than 48 hours until my next show: my "home" show, or what for this tour at least is my home show, at San Antonio.  So, stay tuned.

littlecubspirit
Honorary Roadie

Mairead and Misha- Pixies!

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 03:41PM »

From the moment when Chloe said "This... is Nocture" I thought suddenly of my most recent graphic, which I made especially for dear friend Misha, and which included the beautiful last lines of the song: "Though darkness fades/It will give way/When the dark night delivers the day, Nocturne".  Sometimes Celtic Woman's songs are more than just personal.  I don't think I have ever before had tears in my eyes so soon at a Celtic Woman concert.

So glad to know I was thought of! I was with you in spirit, I promise you that. So glad you had such a wonderful show, and were able to provide us with such a fantastic review. I have a feeling Nocturne will forever mean something very special to us both, forevermore.

MY REVIEW OF MY THIRD SHOW IS UP!

I MET LISA L, CHLOE, MAIREAD N, SUSAN,  MAIREAD C, LYNN, EABHA,  DAVID, SARAH/EDEL, CRAIG, NICK, RAY, ANTHONY!
Scott

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 05:07PM »

So glad to know I was thought of! I was with you in spirit, I promise you that. So glad you had such a wonderful show, and were able to provide us with such a fantastic review. I have a feeling Nocturne will forever mean something very special to us both, forevermore.

Yes Misha.  Really, any song that I make a graphic of becomes special to me.  But Nocturne, that night, was extra-special.  Celtic Woman has inspired some wonderful friendships. Smiley

littlecubspirit
Honorary Roadie

Mairead and Misha- Pixies!

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 06:21PM »

But Nocturne, that night, was extra-special.  Celtic Woman has inspired some wonderful friendships. Smiley

Amen to that!

MY REVIEW OF MY THIRD SHOW IS UP!

I MET LISA L, CHLOE, MAIREAD N, SUSAN,  MAIREAD C, LYNN, EABHA,  DAVID, SARAH/EDEL, CRAIG, NICK, RAY, ANTHONY!
urbanracer34
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 10:49PM »

But Nocturne, that night, was extra-special.  Celtic Woman has inspired some wonderful friendships. Smiley

Amen to that!

I'll second that Amen! Smiley

I'm Jerad. Smiley
CWazy since 2012!
CompTIA A+ certified, Long time Apple product user.

Banner by Kirstie. Thanks! Smiley
silverstream1

chloe agnew rules!

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 06:43PM »

u described the show Perfectly scott! It was better than I could have ever imagined ,plus who knew giving flowers to the drummer for one of the girls could help  u FINALLY meet them?,
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 06:55PM by silverstream1 » Logged

chloe agnew rules!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: