Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Welcome bookworms!  (Read 12867 times)
ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

let it carry me through darkest night

« on: October 15, 2013, 06:30AM »

Du you love to read? Welcome here!

This thread is about everything printed on paper. What do you read? How do you read?

I love books with an athmosphere and a unique writing style. My favourite genres are Fantasy, Classics, History, everything victorian, theological books, sometimes science fiction and also some other books! I don't like real life stories (also known as "problem books", you know about teenagers that use drugs, etc.) and too... well... for me unfeeling books. I love to live in books!

I love reading on "bad weather days" in a fleece blanket, with a cup of tea or (vegan) hot chocolate) or a glass of wine. Or maybe a cup of veggie soup. And I love real, printed books. I don't have an eReader. I'm totally a bookworm and I love the full reading experience, not just taking the storyline and nothing else.

How about you?

Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 06:07PM »

I  read  more  when  I  was  younger,  but  my  faves  were  fantasy  (usually Piers  Anthony )   and  sci/fi ....especially  books  based  on  the various  Star  Trek  series.  i  got  into   Dean Koontz for  awhile  too..great  suspense  writer.  I  usually  read  in  small chunks  at  a time. 

AggieGuy
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 06:18PM »

I used to read constantly, but after grad school, I kind of got burned out on it.  When you read 12-20 books a semester (200-1000 pages each) for 3 years, you kind of burn out.

I still read history books when I find one of interest like the one on Ireland I keep trying to finish, but never find a lot of time to sit down and read it.  When I was younger, I'd always take a Star Trek book with me on family vacations and read it before getting home.  When we flew to Hawaii in 93 and 94, I'd read an entire Star Trek book on the flights there and another on the flights home.
kirstie_x
Bodhrán Player

Fill the glasses one more time!

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 07:21PM »

I love this thread... Simply because of the name!!

I love reading- I prefer a real book, there's just something about holding a book that makes me feel happy, and the smell of a book!   Grin

I do have a kindle app on my iPad, but rarely use it. I can see how e-readers can entice younger people to read, because well, it's technology really. Hand them a real book, and they'd probably tell you it's more boring.
I read almost anything, (usually judged by the blurb or first few pages) but seem to prefer those biography type stories, of adults telling their childhood stories (which usually aren't to pleasant) fiction/chick-lit & SOME crime novels... Any books that really let your FEEL what each character feels, and let you live that story. Losing yourself in a book is the best thing ever Smiley
I love reading at any time, but especially on the colder nights, when your inside warm and cosy curled up with a good book, with the window howling outside the window (more typically raining beating down in Ireland tho!)

When I was in school, I would be in the library every other day for books, and used to sit up all night or quite late into the night, totally lost in  a book! Now I'm working I do it less, but still love to take time out & leave everything behind for a good read!  Smiley

All I ask is that you want me as a friend  Kiss
Celtic Woman Home For Christmas August 7th 2013-best night of my life Smiley

Thanks, ShiningBright Smiley
ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 04:04AM »

Thank you three for responsing on this thread! I love to read what people think about reading^^ And Kirstie: I agree completely about the real-book-thing!

kirstie_x
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 05:33AM »

Your very welcome Smiley
I really think real books are the best thing, :-)

ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 07:08AM »

Thank you<3

I love real books aswell! And I love having a real reading experience. With a hot drink (tea, chocolate, spiced wine, maybe even coffe), a blanket, "bad weather", candles, music...

kirstie_x
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 12:15PM »

Thank you<3

I love real books aswell! And I love having a real reading experience. With a hot drink (tea, chocolate, spiced wine, maybe even coffe), a blanket, "bad weather", candles, music...

Bad weather is prefect for reading! Smiley

ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 12:21PM »

It is. But I think it's also nice for reading outside. Exept for rain, makes the book wet. Cheesy

kirstie_x
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 12:35PM »

That's when an e-reader would be handy!

ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 12:51PM »

Exept when the water ruins the tech...

kirstie_x
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 01:18PM »

Oh yeah! Forgot about that whoops!

sunflower
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 02:06PM »

Audio books come in handy in the rain.
ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 04:35AM »

Yeah, good idea! The problem is just, that I can hardly concentrate on them :/

AggieGuy
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 05:01PM »

How about discuss books we've read and would recommend to others?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: