Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When Everything Comes Together ~ Celtic Woman in Amsterdam  (Read 8771 times)
MaryNorth93
« on: October 25, 2013, 08:38AM »

This is a long and really sentimental review, be warned.  Tongue

A nice thing in comparison with last year is that I have fall break this week, so I didn't have to rush from college to Amsterdam. I would visit the show with my friend Irma again. After a nice day of shopping we met with Saskia (Egwene) and her mother for dinner. I was absolutely thrilled when they announced they would perform in the Royal Carré Theater. I've always wanted to see it and it's one of the better known venues here and a beautiful theater. It has also a much more intimate feeling than huge venues as the Heineken Music Hall. Very fitting for the ladies.

At one point we seperated and me & Irma took our seats. I bought the tickets fairly late so my seats were rather poor but it could have been worse. We were sitting in one of the lower balconies at the right, still very close to see the ladies, but I could not see the entire stage. The show was sold out which pleased me definately  Grin  When waiting for the show to start I talked a little with an elder couple sitting next to us whose story was kind of funny. The woman had once bought one of those Celtic Woman cd's, those 'various songs' cds with songs from different Irish artists. And she thought that was the kind of show she was going to see and she didn't find out untill she saw the posters of our ladies hanging in the theater. Her husband was less concerned and joked he liked it anyway to watch pretty women.

Dulàman has a new vocal introduction which sounds very cool. And than it's time for Mairéad's Carlin first solo. She has some very big shoes to fill since Chloë was such a fan favorite, which she probably realises. When she was announced as the newest member I looked up some of her video's, and was pretty much awestruck after Let The River Run..

Her first solo is Scarlet Ribbons, yes, this song is AMAZING. I love the sweet, innocent lyrics. This song showcases that Mairéad can actually sing quite powerfull, and she also sings in a sweet soft fairytale-like voice. The instrumentals were fantastic too. At one point the piano, drums and flute merge beautiful together and it's stunning. Great performance by all. I hope this will also be featured in the Emerald Tour. And a recording would be nice too  Grin

And than it's time for Caledonia. A fantastic performance from one of my all-time favorite CW-songs, and I only loved it more after visiting Scotland last year. It's not difficult to understand Dougie MacLean's heartfelt for his country when walking across the shore of Isle of Skye or the old streets of Stirling. I really can't compare Susan & Lisa Kelly on this one because their approaches are completely different. I like to see it as Lisa still making up her mind and fondly saying goodbye, and that Susan already made her decision and she is happy to return to Caledonia. I've really come to love Susan. She obviously has grown comfortable in her role and is much more interactive than a year ago. She reminds me much of broadway-stars as Kerry Ellis and Elaine Paige.

In The Coast of Galiçia were there certain moments where the audience got confused about how to clap to the rhythm (me included, I have no feeling for it  Roll Eyes) but Máiréad did a good job of conducting it. Lovely piece, and Granuaile's Dance never gets old.

Téir Abhaile Riú was another highlight. At certain moments it was clear Mairéad had some struggles with concentrating on her voice and acting at the same time, but considering she has only been on tour for a couple of weeks, she performed fantastic. Adorable interaction between the girls, great song. What I love so much about these song is when the ladies peform it, that it shows you can act a little playfull as woman without loosing your sense of class & dignity. Let these ladies be an example for so many ladies, also in the artist-industry.

I'm still not sure what to make of She Moved Through The Fair. It has nothing to do with Mairéad who sings it very beautifully. I guess I prefer the more traditional arrangement from the first CW-dvd.

I didn't know what to expect of Bridge Over Troubled Water, I never liked this song, not even on the Believe-dvd. But Lisa was just flawless. The changed arrangement is definately an improvement. This was a moment where I got a little emotional, why is a long story.

Ray stole the show again with his bodhran solo and his 'encounter' with Máiréad running op the stage was hilarious. I really like the new intro to Níl S'én Lá where the choir gets a little solo showtime too, there was not enough room in the sidewalks so they started the song on stage.

It was wonderfull to hear Shenandoah live for the first time. Several people in the audience were humming along, the mood was very peacefully. Máiréad literally shocked the man sitting next me when she started Women of Ireland. He was still enchanted by Shenandoah I guess  Cheesy  Unlike his wife, he actually did clap along with most of the songs.

The first standing ovations were for You Raise Me Up & The Parting Glass. To be honest, I can live without You Raise Me Up but I really love The Parting Glass. It's such a powerfull old song. The Finale is unbeatable in levels of epicness.

Afterwards we waited outside the stage door in hope of some kind of Meet & Greet. There were a lot more people outside than last year hoping to see a glimpse of the ladies. It was nice to see Evi and her friends again and I also met Marc from France briefly which was very nice. A few security men seemed to be displeased with our presence, but one man was actually very nice and joked a lot. He told us he had never heard of the group but he fancied 'the dark haired one' Later, when Mairéad Carlin walked to the bus he was a little shocked and said: 'Oh, she is a lot smaller than I thought!'  Cheesy  We also could say a briefly hello to some members of the crew. The ladies were a little later and had to leave unfortunately so they didn't stop, but the Mairead's & Lisa took one picture with a little girl who was overjoyed. Always nice to see that they're loved by children. And we could say goodbye to them. After that we left.

Of course I also missed Chloë this evening. My fondest memories of her are probably her succesfull attempts at getting a stiffy crowd singing along with Green Grow The Rushes last year, and meeting her by the stagedoor. And walking across Galway Bay this year, while listening to Chloë's version of the song is a memory I'll never forget. Thank you miss Agnew.

Another great evening. Thank you ladies, for everything.
Hubert
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 09:08AM »

Thanks for the review, Mary.  I enjoyed it although I love "You Raise Me Up".  We can agree to disagree.  Smiley  I certainly hope they allow Mairead Carlin to sing "Scarlet Ribbons" during next year's Emerald tour.  I'm dying to hear it live.

There is no Lambe like our Lil' Lambe.  Mairead Carlin is the real deal.
ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

let it carry me through darkest night

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 10:42AM »

Sound so beautiful Smiley Even though I love both songs - Bridge Over Troubled Water and You Raise Me Up. YRMU is CW'S signature song and will always be!

So exited to hear Mairéad!

MaryNorth93
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 05:21AM »

Thank you both for your comments. Don't worry, I like You Raise Me Up, it's just not one of my favorite songs. And I definately love Bridge Over Troubled Water now.

You'll all love Mairéad. I know she'll be welcomed with open arms in the States.   Grin
Dinozzzo
Honorary Roadie

The biggest French Fan

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 05:54AM »

Great review Evi ! It was a real pleasure to meet you Wink

03/06/2010 : Wallingford, CT, United States
06/28/2011 : Hamburg, Deutschland
09/23/2011 : Paris, France
05/17/2012 : Dusseldorf, Deutschland
10/23/2013 : Amsterdam, The Netherlands
ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

let it carry me through darkest night

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 06:28AM »

Thank you both for your comments. Don't worry, I like You Raise Me Up, it's just not one of my favorite songs. And I definately love Bridge Over Troubled Water now.

You'll all love Mairéad. I know she'll be welcomed with open arms in the States.   Grin

YRMU isn't one of my faves either, 'cause I have heard it just TOO often. But I still love it - and it's meaning!

MaryNorth93
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 06:36AM »

I'm Martine, but thank you  Cheesy It was also really nice to meet you.  Wink
Kevin R.I.
Featured Soloist

my two favorite green eyed ladies

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 06:41AM »

Great review Martine....now you have to visit America so you can see  them again  Wink

thanks EVI

Hi Kev, I sneeked into your account as you know, wanted to say: love you!!!!

Love, Evi.
Dinozzzo
Honorary Roadie

The biggest French Fan

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 06:54AM »

I'm Martine, but thank you  Cheesy It was also really nice to meet you.  Wink

Oh sorry Embarrassed, I wanted to write "Martine" but I don't know why I wrote "Evi"...  :-

03/06/2010 : Wallingford, CT, United States
06/28/2011 : Hamburg, Deutschland
09/23/2011 : Paris, France
05/17/2012 : Dusseldorf, Deutschland
10/23/2013 : Amsterdam, The Netherlands
MaryNorth93
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 07:24AM »

Great review Martine....now you have to visit America so you can see  them again  Wink

Thank you Kevin. I'd love too, who knows  Wink

Oh sorry Embarrassed, I wanted to write "Martine" but I don't know why I wrote "Evi"...  :-

It's okay Wink
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 07:45AM by MaryN. » Logged
chellek

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 11:01AM »

Thank you for your interesting and honest review!   Smiley
MaryNorth93
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 03:02PM »

Thank you for your interesting and honest review!   Smiley

Thank you Chellek Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: