Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Home For Christmas DVD Reviews  (Read 40096 times)
kirstie_x
Bodhrán Player

Fill the glasses one more time!

« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2013, 04:32AM »

Travelling Spaceman, thank you for your post!!! But one question: I thought What Child Is This and Silent Night are hymns, aren't they? o.O

They are hymns Smiley

All I ask is that you want me as a friend  Kiss
Celtic Woman Home For Christmas August 7th 2013-best night of my life Smiley

Thanks, ShiningBright Smiley
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2013, 07:00AM »

Travelling Spaceman, thank you for your post!!! But one question: I thought What Child Is This and Silent Night are hymns, aren't they? o.O
 First of all  Rob...thank you  for  your  review.  I  can hardly  wait  for  mine  to  arrive  in a couple  of days  or  so.   Cool  And  just  a note  of  clarification.....These songs  are  ALL  "carols" ..... it's  just that  we  call  religious  carols   hymns.  Just  me  making  a technical  point- it's  my  nature.   Grin  
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 09:18AM by Raving Meaviac » Logged

mattycakes
Honorary Roadie

Oh you have made me very angry, very angry indeed!

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2013, 08:09AM »

And I can't wait to see them singing my favorite hymn of all, Hark The Herald Angels Sing!
Traveling Spaceman
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2013, 07:02PM »

Yep, they sure are.   Smiley

Thank you Chiara for my beautiful banner. Smiley
Traveling Spaceman
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2013, 07:03PM »

And I can't wait to see them singing my favorite hymn of all, Hark The Herald Angels Sing!

Yes, I knew I would leave something out - I love that performance, as well.

Traveling Spaceman
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2013, 07:05PM »

First of all  Rob...thank you  for  your  review.  I  can hardly  wait  for  mine  to  arrive  in a couple  of days  or  so.   Cool  And  just  a note  of  clarification.....These songs  are  ALL  "carols" ..... it's  just that  we  call  religious  carols   hymns.  Just  me  making  a technical  point- it's  my  nature.   Grin  

Yeah, just my semantic way of expressing my personal preference - perhaps I should have said church songs vs. holiday songs, or something like that. But you get the idea.  Grin

mattycakes
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2013, 08:43PM »

Clarification for all!

Hymns are the Christmas songs that celebrate Christmas as being the birth of Jesus. They're the types of songs we'd sing in church. Includes songs like Hark The Herald Angels Sing, Joy To The World, Silent Night, What Child Is This, We Three Kings, and It Came Upon A Midnight Clear.

Carols, on the other hand, are those Christmas songs that simply celebrate the spirit and soul of Christmas as being a time of peace on Earth and goodwill towards our fellow man. They're the more secular songs, such as I'll Be Home For Christmas, Auld Lang Syne (even though that's technically more New Year's, but whatever), Santa Claus Is Coming To Town, Winter Wonderland, We Wish You A Merry Christmas, Carol Of The Bells, Its Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas, and Let It Snow.

Didn't include The Light Of Christmas Morn cuz I've never even heard that one and didn't include O Tannenbaum cuz I don't remember the lyrics to that one! Lol!  Roll Eyes

Its rather interesting seeing as how ACC was made up more of hymns and HFC seems about 50/50.
ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

let it carry me through darkest night

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2013, 09:53AM »

Ah, OK, thank you all! I thought Christmas Carol = Religious (Hark The Herald Angels Sing, What Child Is This, etc.), Christmas song = Pop/Trend (Santa Clause Is Coming To Town, The Christmas Song, etc.)

Starman
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2013, 12:34PM »

Both are in the Baptist hymnals and I suspect others.

MaryNorth93
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2013, 02:11PM »

The Light of Christmas Morn is also about the birth of Jesus, so I guess you could say it's a modern hymn. It's originally written by songwriter Sarah Hart: http://www.sarahhart.com/

The first recording with Chloë & Lisa:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKQzODo_Zmg
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 02:14PM by MaryN. » Logged
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2013, 10:17PM »

I  will post my  review of  this  tomorrow. I  just  got my  HFC  DVD  today and  watched  it  all.   Cool

mattycakes
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2013, 11:25AM »

I got my dvd today. Here's a small review for all!

Meav - It was nice seeing her return and hearing her soaring angelic voice. And it seems to me that she's loosened up a bit in this performance. Thank God for that! I know Meav liked to focus on the singing more but in some of the older dvds she hardly seemed to even be enjoying herself. So it was very nice that she was able to grace us with her fantastic voice while having fun at the same time. The new version of Silent Night is FAR superior to the old one in my opinion. Yes the old one was part Irish and the Irish is beautiful but the vocal arrangement on this was STUNNING! Add to it the fabulous stage design and you get a performance to remember.

Lisa - Ah Lisa! I've loved you since you first joined back in 2011. She brought so much energy to, what I feel anyway, was a bit of a tired group and I think in many ways she brought it back to life. So wonderful to see she still has that child-like joy she brings. She clearly has fun doing what she's doing and it shows. Auld Lang Syne was so beautiful. I'm so glad its been recorded.

Mairead Nesbitt - The flying fiddler. The worst part about the Christmas shows is you don't get to see enough of Mairead. Carol of the Bells was an excellent choice for her. She got to flitter about the stage like she does and had a moment to shine. But it is sad that she doesn't get more time in these Christmas shows. But I will say this. Having her perform it first act, with that beautiful dress that makes her look like a snow angel or somethingm was a perfect choice! Go Mairead!

Susan - I'm so glad we've finally got her on a dvd! I've loved Susan since she joined and always thought she didn't get enough credit. She was FANTASTIC in Santa Claus Is Coming To Town! And that's a hard one cuz Chloe's always been my favorite! But Susan was so fun in that song. She was up there being playful with the audience and going back and forth with Mairead! Oh it was so good! And It Came Upon A Midnight Clear was very good too! So nice for Susan to have one of her own solos (about freakin time!). The gospel version of this song would've been something I'd expect from Chloe, but Susan more than did the song justice. She knocked it outta the park! Go Sue!

Overall it was a great concert. I'm very happy with it! My only qualm is the fact that Let It Snow was not included! What's up with that?! I'm also interested in how they'll do the vocal arrangements for Symphony. Particularly Meav's high parts.
AggieGuy
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2013, 09:06PM »

Finally got my Blu-Ray today.  It came in a normal DVD case, not the jewel case the regular DVD came in.

I don't have time to watch it tonight, but will do it tomorrow and get some screen captures.  Gotta remember how to bypass the BD protection which tries to block screencaps.
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2013, 09:14PM »

Both are in the Baptist hymnals and I suspect others.
The  Lutheran  hymnals  as well......    Wink

AggieGuy
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2013, 12:57AM »

Dang it.  My Blu-Ray player on the computer will not play the disc.  Either it's too old to read it or the software is too old.  I'll have to take the disc to work on Monday and figure out where the problem lies.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: