Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts on Emerald.  (Read 8569 times)
littlecubspirit
Honorary Roadie

Mairead and Misha- Pixies!

« on: February 12, 2014, 01:54PM »

Hi gang...well, Emerald's release is getting closer, and I wanted to give voice to some of what I'm thinking and feeling about the upcoming release.

As a lot of you know, this particular setlist/show/experience holds precious memories for me. I was blessed to have been able to meet the girls last spring when they came through central IL. The meeting was impromptu and held a lot of meaning for me in terms of helping me heal from some difficult stuff. Chloe was a huge part of why that is. When Chloe left I was HEARTBROKEN. I fully understand her reasons, and I know she is not gone, but it hurt. When I heard they were still planning to release Emerald, I wasn't sure how to feel. I was so happy that in some ways my concert experience had been lovingly preserved for all time. I was also well aware that it meant being faced with some tough things. I wonder, sometimes, if Chloe knew, that night. Did she do this recording knowing it would be her last with CW? If she did, I am glad she did. What a sweet joyful sendoff for our sweet girl, onto bigger and better things. If not, then I simply hope she enjoyed the rush of performing that night, as with all the others.

When watching the initial airing (Chicago PBS limited broadcast) I was so filled with joy at seeing Chloe again...I think there was a part of me that was pretending that Chloe had never left. During Parting Glass I was bawling. I couldn't pretend anymore, as those words to that song took on an eerie significance. You Raise Me Up was even worse. But I pushed all that down and did the best I could at writing an enthusiastically objective review...I think I tried too hard and overdid the enthusiasm. But I did what I had promised to do, so again I could ignore dealing with Emerald until the home audience release.

Well, here we are. And the sizzle reel and the Mo Ghile Mear videos have me excited and sad and angry all at once. I am excited because the concert really is awesome. I'm sad because it hurts to realize the fundamental change which has occurred since this recording was done. And I am angry because of those other emotions I just mentioned. With my background in the performing arts, usually I can take a fairly objective view of CW projects and evaluate them technically as well as aesthetically. I can engage in friendly debate and discussion. Not this time.

A lot of the conversation in the last few days has been so focused on griping about less than perfect editing choices and every time I read it all, I want to explode. It feels too much like people are only concerned with the surface of things, and even I am less than enthused. But at the same time, there are so many fans for whom this concert is VITALLY important, particularly those of us who missed the last tour and/or are still healing from when Chloe said goodbye. I wish we all could focus on the gift we were given when the decision was made to proceed with release. To have taken away Emerald and had it "disappear" like Isle of Hope would have been a HUGE slap in the face to CW fans. It would have been punishing us for Chloe's (valid and acceptable) personal choice, something that would have had disastrous results indeed. Re-recording with Mairead Carlin, which some people have said they see as perhaps a more honest choice, would have also been problematic. For those of us who were attached to and familiar with Chloe, knowing that a re-recording had been done would have likely made us feel that Mairead literally was intended as a replacement for Chloe, rather than as the newest member of a group evolving through an organic and necessary process.

After all, it is growth which caused this change. Chloe's growth as a musician had reached a point where she felt ready to embark on some solo work, and CW grew as a result, welcoming their first member from Northern Ireland with Mairead Carlin's induction.

Re-recording Emerald would have also taken away from the very concept of the show. Emerald is by its own admission a celebration and homage to what got CW to this point, to CW's growth, and spirit, and success. Chloe is very much a part of that, and so her participation in the DVD is fitting. Transitioning (if I remember correctly anyway) to Mairead Carlin on the CD allows us a more palatable growth curve by not having the jarring disconnect of new member/total restructuring of setlist all at once. Its the music we remember, given life by a voice and a person we are beginning to forge new memories and experiences (concrete and sensory) with.

Is it okay for this to hurt? Yes, but don't lose yourself in the if only...

The members who have departed CW lent their own spirit to the group, and many songs are not exclusive to one particular member. Rather the songs reflect the spirits of their performers, and are constantly evolving with each new voice to take up the familiar notes, as the tapestry of CW history becomes yet richer and fuller. Rather than lamenting the change, celebrate the evolution and the perspective it gives to all our precious memories. The best is yet to come. I know it.

MY REVIEW OF MY THIRD SHOW IS UP!

I MET LISA L, CHLOE, MAIREAD N, SUSAN,  MAIREAD C, LYNN, EABHA,  DAVID, SARAH/EDEL, CRAIG, NICK, RAY, ANTHONY!
IloveyouSarahBurke!! <3
Choir Member

When You Believe~ Chloe:"that was for you" 5/15/15

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 02:24PM »

Wow Misha... well said..
This brought me to tears Cry

I completely understand where you're coming from.. especially talking about Chloe.
It was heartbreaking for a number of us when she left, and I completely understand wanting to preserve that concert on DVD for her loyal fans.

I know how much she means to you, and how incredible that meeting was for you.  As you know, I too have a special heartfelt connection with Chloe, and I know the feeling...

Thanks Scott! 
I MET CHLOE (6X),LIL' LAMBE (4X)MAIREAD NESBITT(6X)AND SUSAN(6X) MAIREAD CARLIN(4X) ALEX SHARPE,and EABHA!!!!!!!!!!
urbanracer34
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 02:37PM »

Wow... Well said Misha... 

If I had known that CW's Vancouver show would've been my last chance to see Chloe with CW, I would've fought a thousand times HARDER to get myself there! So yes Misha, this home audience release means a lot to me too; This release is the closest thing I have to see last year's tour. Thank God they decided to release it for everyone to enjoy.

Chloe meant a lot to everyone here, no matter if you were a fan for a day or even since CW started. I know it hurt me a bunch too when Chloe said she was departing from CW, even though I never met her, even though I really got to be a fan of CW in year before she departed. I know how much Chloe means to you Misha, and you too Sarah...

I'm Jerad. Smiley
CWazy since 2012!
CompTIA A+ certified, Long time Apple product user.

Banner by Kirstie. Thanks! Smiley
IloveyouSarahBurke!! <3
Choir Member

When You Believe~ Chloe:"that was for you" 5/15/15

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 02:42PM »

I agree completely Jerad Smiley
Chloe has an impact on everyone.. even if you've only seen her once.. she makes a connection with her fans, and she truly cares about them...

She means a lot to so many.
I'm a big scrapbooker too, and I've made a couple Chloe pages.. and something I wrote on one of them says..
Chloe Agnew, an inspiration to so many and a true blessing from heaven.

And she really is.. she has touched so many hearts and souls, and I think it hit everyone hard when she left... She still has an incredibly strong fan base, and I have a feeling it will stay that way.. she knows how to touch her fans..
I'm glad that this new show got captured on a DVD as well.. since she really was a big part of it.. especially since she is one of the original Celtic Women Smiley

Thanks Scott! 
I MET CHLOE (6X),LIL' LAMBE (4X)MAIREAD NESBITT(6X)AND SUSAN(6X) MAIREAD CARLIN(4X) ALEX SHARPE,and EABHA!!!!!!!!!!
Hubert
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 03:45PM »

I saw HFC in December and it was strange indeed not to see Chloe since she has been there since I first saw CW in 2008.  I was fortunate enough to meet her a couple of times and will never forget those moments.  The rest of you have already expressed sentiments far better than I ever could.  I will continue to support Chloe and CW as long as I have a pulse.

There is no Lambe like our Lil' Lambe.  Mairead Carlin is the real deal.
littlecubspirit
Honorary Roadie

Mairead and Misha- Pixies!

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 07:58AM »

Also, just as something to think about…re-recording Emerald would have been tremendously financially costly for CW LTD. The more they have to spend the more the ticket prices, merch prices and M&G price increases... Yikes.

MY REVIEW OF MY THIRD SHOW IS UP!

I MET LISA L, CHLOE, MAIREAD N, SUSAN,  MAIREAD C, LYNN, EABHA,  DAVID, SARAH/EDEL, CRAIG, NICK, RAY, ANTHONY!
MaryNorth93
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 09:10AM »

A lot of the conversation in the last few days has been so focused on griping about less than perfect editing choices and every time I read it all, I want to explode. It feels too much like people are only concerned with the surface of things

I wouldn't worry about that, I believe it's actually quite the opposite. If people didn't believe in the group, they wouldn't be here. We've all watched our favorite ladies leave. (for me it was Lisa K., Órla & Méav) It takes time to adjust sometimes.

An CW-special is still an artistic product, and just like when people see an movie or an painting, we'll all have different opinions about it. There is no harm in commenting on things you would like to see different. Being critical doesn't mean people don't care about the product, or the effort which has been given.

Also, just as something to think about…re-recording Emerald would have been tremendously financially costly for CW LTD. The more they have to spend the more the ticket prices, merch prices and M&G price increases... Yikes.

I agree with that. I'm happy with Emerald as it is now. It's a great way to bring back tour memories (I live in Europe, so I can't go see them often), and a wonderfull celebration of Chloë's time with CW.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 09:17AM by MaryN. » Logged
bigCWfan17

3/15...The day I FINALLY saw/met Celtic Woman :)

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 03:58PM »

I saw my very FIRST Celtic Woman concert with my best friend Sarah on 3/15/14...and it was one of the happiest days of my life! Got to meet the girls as well as Sarah and Edel! Such a magical moment I'll never forget. Xx

"You are enough. You are so enough. It's unbelievable how enough you are."-- Sierra Boggess
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: