Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Clearwater, FL  (Read 2934 times)
dbbii

« on: February 26, 2014, 07:35PM »

I purposely did not read any of the previously posted show reviews.  As we all know, change (Chloe leaving) is hard accept.  Since I did not make it to any of the Christmas shows, this year, it had been over 6 months since I last saw a CW show (Red Rocks).  I was looking forward to a new beginning.

(EDIT prior to posting).  After I wrote this, I decided to wait a little bit before posting.  I finally read the posted reviews (primarily Nashville).  While there are some things I don’t like,  let me say that I agree 100% that the music and the performers are outstanding!  Numerous people have said that CW is the hardest working group in the world.  To do what they do, night after night, at the level it is being done leaves one in awe of their talent and dedication.  Am I getting jaded?  Maybe, but that’s my problem, not theirs.

So, here we go.

VENUE

Ruth Eckerd Hall, Clearwater.  Of all the shows I have attended, this is probably my least favorite location.  The only redeeming grace is its only 20 miles from my house.  No travel!!!

Seating is just over 2,000.  It’s all one big, fan shaped room – no balconies, etc.  If you are in the back, you are a LOOONNNG way from the stage.  35 or so seats per row near the front, with no interior aisles.  It makes it difficult for things such as the beginning of Amazing Grace.

I was in Row F, (6 rows from the stage) band side.  Yes, I had PBS tickets, and as we are all aware, you don’t get great seats from them anymore.

Mass confusion from the staff on when/where the M&G was.  Never saw anyone from local PBS.

One of my pet peeves is when the venue either does not close the doors or leaves the lights on.  In this case, the doors are recessed towards the lobby, with a light over them.  For whatever reason, they didn’t turn off all the lights, including the one near me.

A couple of ladies sitting behind me didn’t shut up during the entire show.  I complained to an usher at intermission, but she said they couldn’t do anything.  My daughter wouldn’t let me turn around and say shut up.  (OK, it was kinda funny when the one lady said that (Tommy) had really funny looking bagpipes!)

M&G

WOW, and I mean that in a bad way.  Before anyone gets excited, the girls were their usual charming and pleasant selves.  There have been off-forum comments that don’t have anything good to say about CW Ltd, Madstone, etc.  I’ve never felt like that until last night.

The real short version is no one at CW cares.  It seemed as if they had never done a M&G before.  There were a couple people from CW around, but most of them looked like they just finished unloading the trucks.  At least TRY to look professional.

No idea who was in charge.  At least last year, Ken made the effort to introduce himself and told everyone what the procedure was.  The guy who was apparently running it (and no idea who he is) shows up late, simply says you are going to go in and get a picture.  He said he didn’t know about autographs, etc.  Overhearing some conversations, he just got a new job, which was obviously way more important.  (Hey, I get it.  It’s not his money). The “official tour photographer” would take our picture.  I’d rather have someone standing in line with me take the picture.  They couldn’t do a worse job.

There were only 16 people at the M&G.  It was held in the Green Room (better than some places I went last year!).  Drawback – we stood in front of a “wall” that had the venues name plastered all over it.  Think most sports news conferences.

Incredibly rushed M&G.  The first person when in about 7:15 (8:00 show).  Everyone was thru in 20 minutes.  I was able to introduce myself to Mairead C and was able to at least say Hi to everyone else and got a hug.  Pushed into line to get a photo and then told to move on.  Come on guys.  For what we pay, at least give me a minute or two to talk.  I'm giving up the photo at my next M&G.

I guess that CW really does feel they don’t need PBS (and loyal fans) any more.

SHOW

I won’t go into great detail about the show.  Others have done that far more eloquently than I.  Some general impressions.

Mairead C is a joy.  Chloe had a more powerful voice, but Mairead blends in well, and has a beautiful voice.

Not a big fan of the new gowns.  Yes, they are colorful, however, after being in construction business a long time, I have learned that color is a very personal issue.  In my mind, they don’t blend together.

A few sound issues.  During a lot of the show, they appeared to be having an issue with mixing.  You could hear individual voices of the choir.

The show seems “smaller” if that makes sense.  The stage is smaller and Ray’s drum set is reconfigured.  No big drums.  Is this a factor of trying to cut out a trailer?   As I left, you could see a portion of the loading dock.  I could only see one truck backed in and there was nothing on the trailer.  In the past, there was tour info on it.  Didn’t see the buses.

The show seemed short.  Including a 20 minute intermission, it was right at 2 hours.  I tend to remember last year’s being a little longer.  Tommy does The New Ground again.  I’m always waiting for it to segue into Isle of Hope, Isle of Tears – it just doesn’t work with Orinoca Flow.

While the “drums and dancing” segment was very entertaining, it went on a little too long.  The show is Celtic Woman, not Riverdance.  This goes back to my feeling that the show is downsizing.  Less Celtic WOMEN.  More “others”. Maybe Mairead C had a better agent when her contract was negotiated.

Anthony did start Amazing Grace on one side of the auditorium.  Lisa and Mairead did the start of TAR in the audience as well.  Mairead got an older gentlemen to stand up and dance with her.  (Note to self – find tickets on right side aisle!! Grin).

TAR was its usual fun song.  I’m just not convinced it was the right way to end the first half.  The audience didn’t seem to know that was the end of the half.

I’m not a fan of Danny Boy.  It’s been done way too many times by way too many artists.  Having said that, I liked the way it was presented this tour.

On a related note, the show just didn’t seem to flow.  While I love Mo Ghile Mear, You Raise Me Up and The Parting Glass, I don’t like them back to back to back.  They are all “big” songs that deserve their own place.  There was a standing O after each one.  About the only time the crowd really go into it.

ONWARD

Where I go from here?  Don’t know.  I was very disappointed last night.  I have a show ticket only for Tuesday in the second row and another M&G on Thursday.   Hopefully, one of them may rekindle the magic.  Otherwise, I have some tough decisions to make.  For me, this is about the whole experience, not just the music.  If it was just music, I’ll listen to the CD.

Hubert
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 09:59AM »

That was an interesting review and you touched on some topics that have been on my mind recently.  I have really enjoyed M&G's in the past but my last one was in 2012 at my home venue with local PBS directing the proceedings.  Bubba was in charge and it was great.  Only two girls but I got to spend some time with both and then took pictures afterwards.  A friend made a video while all that was happening.  It was after the show, relaxed and everyone had a great time.  Last year I was able to have a stage door M&G with some friends and met some choir and band members.  That was nice.  Obviously, Madstone had no control over that.   I am disappointed to hear that the show has been shortened.  That is a new negative.  I agree that CW productions has no use for PBS anymore.  They have forgotten that PBS made Celtic Woman the phenomenon that it is.  I often wander what the future holds.  I have two shows this year and may get M&G for one of them.  It should be interesting to say the least.

There is no Lambe like our Lil' Lambe.  Mairead Carlin is the real deal.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: