Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Correct Nocturne Song Credits  (Read 6782 times)
Albertan

« on: March 14, 2014, 09:01PM »

I've been looking though the CD/DVD booklet that came with my discs that arrived today.   Grin  But I notice that the song credits for "Nocturne", which is sung by Chloë, is "D. McLean". What's with that nonsense? The tune was actually composed by Rolf Lovland (of Secret Garden, who originated this number). The lyric was added by Peter Skavlan. On CW's "Believe" album, on which this song also appears, they got the credits correct -- almost. (They called Peter Skavlan "Peter Skavland".)

Oh, well. Perhaps the third time will be the charm.

Gordon
AggieGuy
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 09:21PM »

I think "D. McLean" is Dougie MacLean/McLean.  I assume Limetree Arts & Music PRS is a publisher.  He also wrote "Caledonia" and is listed on that track as well.

http://www.dougiemaclean.com/

It is clearly something to do with copyright because if you look at TAR, you will see David's name listed along with BMI.
The Impatient New Yorker
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 06:13AM »

I think "D. McLean" is Dougie MacLean/McLean.  I assume Limetree Arts & Music PRS is a publisher.  He also wrote "Caledonia" and is listed on that track as well.

http://www.dougiemaclean.com/

It is clearly something to do with copyright because if you look at TAR, you will see David's name listed along with BMI.

I think David's on their because it's a traditional song and he arranged it. I believe it's like this all the traditional irish songs

I've met Lisa L, Lynn(2x), Susan, Mairead C(2x), Mairead N (2x), Edel, Sarah, Nick, Craig, Anthony, Maggie, and Tommy
Albertan

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 09:01AM »

"Caledonia" might be a traditional song; but "Nocturne" certainly isn't. The original "Nocturne" (which had minimal lyrics in both a Norwegian and an English version) was composed/written by Lovland/Skavlan in 1992. Secret Garden won the 1995 Eurovision Song Contest with it in 1995; and it was the song that launched their career. All copyrights are still very much in force.

The expanded English lyric (also by Peter Skavlan) was written for Secret Garden's 2007 album "Inside I'm Singing".

I think the Celtic Woman team simply blew it big time by mis-crediting the song to D. McLean on the "Emerald" album, without acknowledging the original creators. I just hope this doesn't land them in hot water.

-- Gordon
MaryNorth93
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 10:43AM »

"Caledonia" might be a traditional song; but "Nocturne" certainly isn't. The original "Nocturne" (which had minimal lyrics in both a Norwegian and an English version) was composed/written by Lovland/Skavlan in 1992. Secret Garden won the 1995 Eurovision Song Contest with it in 1995; and it was the song that launched their career. All copyrights are still very much in force.

The expanded English lyric (also by Peter Skavlan) was written for Secret Garden's 2007 album "Inside I'm Singing".

I think the Celtic Woman team simply blew it big time by mis-crediting the song to D. McLean on the "Emerald" album, without acknowledging the original creators. I just hope this doesn't land them in hot water.

-- Gordon

They even refer in the booklet of the Believe cd (The European edition) to 'Lovland' as 'Loveland' I thought that was kinda funny. Anyway, their lack of credit here is indeed odd. It's probably an mistake.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: