Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Emerald DVD  (Read 20303 times)
oregongirl29
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2014, 10:25PM »

Okay I have a question that maybe you all can answer for me, Where was David at and who was the kid that was playing the piano? Is David not with them anymore?
avalonfreak06

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2014, 10:30PM »

David is usually only at the first couple of shows on the tour. This DVD was filmed right in the middle of a tour, so they did have David then. This guy is usually the piano player during the tour.   Grin
AggieGuy
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2014, 10:32PM »

Okay I have a question that maybe you all can answer for me, Where was David at and who was the kid that was playing the piano? Is David not with them anymore?

David is still there.  He was on the Christmas tour; I saw him at the Dallas show.

He doesn't always go on the entire tour.  We see him on the other DVDs because those are specials while this was the filming of a regular tour show.

Off the top of my head, I can't remember the other piano player's name.
oregongirl29
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2014, 10:54PM »

Thank you, I forgot that this was a tour DVD.
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2014, 10:59PM »

But  if  you  check  out  the  extra  songs, you  will  see David  in  one of  them, I  think..I  just  forget  which  one.   Undecided

AggieGuy
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2014, 11:01PM »

But  if  you  check  out  the  extra  songs, you  will  see David  in  one of  them, I  think..I  just  forget  which  one.   Undecided

Caledonia
MarcusWongAUS
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2014, 11:28PM »

Caledonia

He's in Bridge Over Troubled Water too Smiley

26/6/10 Westfield Penrith
23/10/10 Sydney Entertainment Centre
21/12/11 Boettcher Concert Hall
18/8/12 Macquarie Centre
17/1/14 Sydney Entertainment Centre
9/2/18 Darling Harbour Theatre
Louis97

For the fire is flaming gold....

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2014, 02:41PM »

it seems that they are trying to be a little less 'epic' or 'over the top' on this DVD. we don't see fireworks, 1000 bag pipers, a bunch of extreme rythem drummers, a child's choir, etc. its very much like watching an actual concert. the crowd shots also help connect the viewer to the crowd, like one is actually there. Connecting to the crowd is nothing new for CW, but its done a bit different this time. I like it! But the other stuff was fun to watch too. Its all good!

I have to say I disagree with you. Seeing the audience members in gratuitous shots disconnect me to the show more than anything. I'm really happy you like it though!

MarcusWongAUS
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2014, 03:02PM »

it seems that they are trying to be a little less 'epic' or 'over the top' on this DVD. we don't see fireworks, 1000 bag pipers, a bunch of extreme rythem drummers, a child's choir, etc. its very much like watching an actual concert. the crowd shots also help connect the viewer to the crowd, like one is actually there. Connecting to the crowd is nothing new for CW, but its done a bit different this time. I like it! But the other stuff was fun to watch too. Its all good!

I have to say I disagree with you. Seeing the audience members in gratuitous shots disconnect me to the show more than anything. I'm really happy you like it though!
I'm in two minds, but honestly I think it depends on the song.

In songs like Awakening, or Dulaman, there's quite a lot happening on stage, but I don't expect much from the audience. In Danny Boy or Amazing Grace, where I expect much more interaction from the audience, and not as much choreography, and I'm more than happy to have a few audience shots in there. Then there are the Ceili numbers where there's a lot from both, but honestly, I'm more interested in seeing the choreography than the audience.

My favourite shots are the one where the camera's sort of on the side of the stage, like in Mo Ghile Mear when the girls are walking forward and singing "Lift your voice and raise the sail".

26/6/10 Westfield Penrith
23/10/10 Sydney Entertainment Centre
21/12/11 Boettcher Concert Hall
18/8/12 Macquarie Centre
17/1/14 Sydney Entertainment Centre
9/2/18 Darling Harbour Theatre
MaryNorth93
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2014, 03:03PM »

I agree with you, but I don't believe it really has to do with the amount of audience shots, but rather how they're used in the final cut. In the previous recordings, the camera is often running smoothly from the audience to the girls and back, while Home for Christmas & Emerald switch more randomly between the audience and the girls. Emerald has a very raw energy though, and I'm really enjoying what I hear and see so far. It's a lovely way for me to bring back tour memories when the ladies are not touring over here.  

My all-time favorite audience moment, the rocking old man in Granuaile's Dance in A New Journey. He is just epic!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 03:06PM by MaryN. » Logged
Louis97

For the fire is flaming gold....

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2014, 04:57PM »

I agree with you, but I don't believe it really has to do with the amount of audience shots, but rather how they're used in the final cut. In the previous recordings, the camera is often running smoothly from the audience to the girls and back, while Home for Christmas & Emerald switch more randomly between the audience and the girls. Emerald has a very raw energy though, and I'm really enjoying what I hear and see so far. It's a lovely way for me to bring back tour memories when the ladies are not touring over here.  

My all-time favorite audience moment, the rocking old man in Granuaile's Dance in A New Journey. He is just epic!  Cheesy

I do agree with you in that the way they're used either adds or detracts to/from the show. But I also think once we have 5 or 6 audience shots, we really don't need to see anymore per song.

In the previous songs, the editing was so fluid and the audience shots were minimal. To me, those shows seemed more ethereal, magical, and otherworldly because it focused so much on the girls and the show itself. Emerald is quite magical, don't get me wrong, but the audience shots just seem to ground it in reality so much. And we don't get as many close-up shots of the girls. I really like seeing each of the individual girls singing their own verse too, but in Nil S'en La (Emerald version), Susan sang a verse and it didn't even show her. That was just a case of poor editing in general. But as for the audience shots, I just think its disrespectful to the girls and detrimental to the show. I mean, when you go to see CW, do you go thinking of how much you want to see the girls or the audience. And in the filmed show, you don't need to see the audience to know that they are enjoying themselves, because, let's be honest, its Celtic Woman, EVERYONE is enjoying themselves!!

Bagboy

Gee, I wish I was Irish!

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2014, 05:42PM »

If it hasn't been answered before this post, the piano player, listed in the DVD credits, is Shane McVicker. Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin 

Anyone who loves Celtic Woman and Meat Loaf can't be all bad!
Banner by MLB! Thank you Smiley
AggieGuy
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2014, 05:48PM »

I don't like the continual shots of the audience.  Once and a while is okay, but I want to see the girls.  What's worse is they often focus on the same people over, and over, and over.  If they have to show the audience, have some variety so we can see the reactions of more than just a handful of people.

And something I noticed on the DVD and have seen in person.  I can't stand people who you see jumping up to applaud mid-song.  That is beyond rude to everyone sitting nearby.  Wait until it is over.
The Impatient New Yorker
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2014, 07:33PM »

And something I noticed on the DVD and have seen in person.  I can't stand people who you see jumping up to applaud mid-song.  That is beyond rude to everyone sitting nearby.  Wait until it is over.

The only instance I noticed that is the trick ending in coast of galicia

I've met Lisa L, Lynn(2x), Susan, Mairead C(2x), Mairead N (2x), Edel, Sarah, Nick, Craig, Anthony, Maggie, and Tommy
Starman
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2014, 08:16PM »

I enjoy shots of the various kinds of people in the audience enjoying themselves with different reactions as a technique used in all the Celtic Woman DVDs.  From young and old enjoying the music to a group of nuns in the audience, perhaps rattling their rosaries at times,  all these shots demonstrate how the show appeals to all ages and people in all walks of life.  Smiley

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: