Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Christmas Charity  (Read 36284 times)
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« on: October 02, 2007, 08:05AM »

I've received an email from one of our members, and he makes an interesting point.  He says, in part, "Last year we had threads on the CW forum asking members to donate to charities in honor of our Celtic songbirds. A lot better then sending them fruit cakes that by the time they get them are as hard as a hockey puck."   Cheesy

The approach of the holiday season always puts me in a charitable mood.  I have so much to be thankful for, and there are many who cannot say that.  Some of our members may remember that Jenny and I tried last year to launch a little enterprise called "Songbird Charities."  Due to time constraints and the intricacies of setting up a nonprofit organization, it never got off the ground.

So this year I'm just going to float the idea of asking our members to honor the CW organization by making charitable donations in their names.  The question is, do we want to do this collectively, individually, or not at all?

I may run more than one poll on this question.  This first one is intended solely to gauge the members' interest in participating.  If the majority express an interest, we can tackle specifics in later posts and polls.

This poll will run for 10 days, and each member may vote only once.  Thank you.

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
kathleen
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 09:53AM »

Thanks Rich for asking the question.

As the say.....It's  better to give than receive. Grin

kathleen

SusanZ
CWF Global Moderator
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 12:49PM »

I think it is a great idea. Thanks for bringing it up,Rich.

Zee

"We create our tomorrows by what we dream today"
Thanks Hayley for the great banner!!
constantine336

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 02:29PM »

It seems like every year they push back the Christmas season. Its early Oct and I've already seen X-Mass stuff advertized on the QVC channel. When I was a kid the Christmas season began after after Thanksgiving now its been pushed back to before Halloween. I'd like to suggest that threads be posted in say mid Nov with links to good causes. One I'd like to suggest is World Vision. Its a Christian charity that operates world wide helping people help themselfves. They have a verty low overhead less then 20%. That is important because many well known charities have huge overheads. When I was serving in the USAF every year we'd be asked to give to the CFC Combined Federal Campaign. We'd get a booklet that told about the charity and its overhead. I was surpirsed how large an over head many charities have. With World Vision you can donate a gift in a person's honor and they will send you cards announcing the gift. Believe me I am not the giving type. But the music of CW made me want to do something in their honor. Just the thought that it might please our Celtic songbirds gave me a warm fuzzy.  Smiley Smiley I think maybe links to 6-8 causes should be posted. Then members could also donate to causes they want. Just do it in honor of CW. Perhaps some members know of special causes supported by the girls.
Moscapoet
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 03:27PM »

Yes Rich! I think this is a very nice idea. I agree with the previous comment from constantine336. These are lovely and obviously devoted Christian women. A number of Christian charities of fine repute should be given as an option. I'm not wild at all about giving to secular charities or things that involve the U.N.. I would love to make a donation on behalf of my favorite Celtic Woman. I'm sure they are each also generous because they know where their gift comes from. It is obvious each time they sing "You raise me up". As for world vision, I was actually a donor for them and helped two children until their term expired. We certainly want a charity that takes very little in operating expenses.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 04:16PM by Moscapoet » Logged
flags
Total Fanatic

I LOVE HAYLEY AND I CAN'T HELP IT!!!!!

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 04:13PM »

Maybe everyone could go to this site http://www.charitynavigator.org/?gclid=CMO-l5Gd8Y4CFQJsPAodsXBIDw or one like it and then decide which charity we would like to help.

HOW WILL I SURVIVE UNTIL THE NEXT TOUR ?
Shywolf(Craig)
Total Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 06:52PM »

I just have to tell you that these gals relgion is Catholic. Ireland main relgion is Catholic though have others as this county dose. Some in Irleand are not religous at all.  the CW gals would approve is my guess so go for it!!
Cash
Honorary Roadie

carry me...on the waves

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 07:24AM »

These are lovely and obviously devoted Christian women. A number of Christian charities of fine repute should be given as an option. I'm not wild at all about giving to secular charities or things that involve the U.N..
This is  good point when dealing with something like this. Sometimes politics and religions can strongly effect how people view things, and sometimes no matter what you do someone is unhappy with what charity receives the donation. So I have a suggestion on this. I don't know, I can see opposition to my idea though, and I would understand. But this forum is about music, and we have many young people here trying to further their music knowledge and abilities. So maybe some type of music education charity would be appropriate and universally accepted by all forum members? I am including a link to such a group here.

http://chelywright.musiccitynetworks.com/index.htm?id=10102&sid=9558

This is part of country singer Chely Wright's web site, but there is a link there that goes directly to the charity page. Also, if a CW connection helps here, maybe some type of CW link can be put on that charity home page, like some other musicians have on it. So it could help PR for CW as well?

Home is behind, The world ahead, And there are many paths to tread, Through shadow, To the edge of night, Until the stars are all alight.
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 07:33AM »

As long as we're tossing ideas out - I've been in touch with CW Ltd about this.  I asked if they had a particular charity that they favor, either as individuals or as an organization.  They do not, but they suggested a children's charity.  I've done some research on these, and two of the best (in terms of low overhead) are World Vision and Make-A-Wish International.  These have the added advantage of being truly international organizations.

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
constantine336

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 07:43AM »

I know Meav sings in a Camelite choir while in Dublin. So does anyone know of any Carmelite charities or causes?Huh I know just about nothing the Carmelites. I think they are some sort of order in the RC church. I definitetly think acouple of the links should be for Catholic charities or intstitutions. St Judes might be a good selection. Does anyone else have a suggestion??? I think members should also contribute to any cause they want. Just when you throw some change into the Salvation Army bucket say to yourself its in honor of CW. Then if they wish they could post on the thread about their contribution. I'm sure our songbirds would be pleased.
rosie l

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 07:48AM »

How about the Christian Foundation for Children and Aging. They are a Catholic organization run by volunteers . Their only overhead is for Mail and office supplies.(around 4%)  It's about sponcering a child or senior citizen.  It is world wide . It is not necessary to sponcer a child. They need funds to pay for their schools.

Rosie
Jammalot
Honorary Roadie

Finally back!

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 08:23AM »

I honestly think this is a great idea, but I'm not likely to be able to participate. Logically thinking, it would be impossible for me to convert my money, find a safe way to get it there, convince my parents it's something good, etc. I do think it's something great to do Grin !

Wel, here's a map and here's a bible, if you ever lose your way

By Scott

Ty Rich! Grin
SusanZ
CWF Global Moderator
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 11:31AM »

I donate to the St.Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis. They do wonders with children and cancer. No child is refused regardless of race,religion,or ability to pay. It might be an idea.

Zee

"We create our tomorrows by what we dream today"
Thanks Hayley for the great banner!!
celloSteel

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2007, 07:53PM »

I'm in for whatever!

Scott T CW fan

The Lord is my shepherd...

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2007, 08:08PM »

Another idea to send to would be to the Gulf Coast region there is still alot that has to be done there.

Scott T

...yay though I walk through the valley of death, I shall fear no evil...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: