Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Christmas Charity  (Read 36280 times)
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2007, 09:00PM »

Just to toss out an opinion - since CW is not American, and they have fans all over the world, I think the charity we choose should be one with an international appeal.  And of course, being a dad, children's charities are always near and dear to my heart.

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
constantine336

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2007, 10:15AM »

Thanx for the charities link. Its unfortunite but during the holidays or after a major disaster like 911 there are always creeps who crawl out of the woodword or from under rocks who try to take advantage of people's genorosity. They are worse then common thiefs in my book. Even so called reputable charities can have a high overhead that they conceal. I remember during a CFC drive reading in the booklet given us about the causes that the overhead of a certain well known charity that was started by a Hollywood star and every Labor Day has a nation-wide drive had a over head of over 25%. For me 25% is the cut off. The lower the better. I checked out the rating for World Vision and it has 4 stars and excellant rating. St Judes I also understand is outstanding. There is an interesting story about how it got started however, I can't recall the details. I am questionable about UN charities also. There is just too much graft involved.  I definitely think we should have links to Catholic charities because that is the faith of our songbirds. The important thing is to give something to thank the wonderful ladies of CW. They have given all of us fans so much of themselfves. Even if its some change tossed intro the Salvation Army X-Mass bucket or a present for the USMC, one of my favorite causes, Toys For Tots drive do it in their honor.
richard

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2007, 12:18PM »

You can count me in Richard(oldFatGuy)

Richard
constantine336

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2007, 01:55PM »

I knwo that while in Dublin Meav sings in a CCarmelite choir. I'd think she'd be pleased with any donations to this order.
Sara

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2007, 02:56PM »

I belong to a camping group and every year we have a weekend where all the money we make on an auction and camping fees goes to Make-a-Wish. This year we raised $31,000! Had a young girl that had been granted her wish a few years ago along with her father there. When the dad spoke he got all choked up because he was so grateful to have his daughters wish grant. And to see this cute girl was just so special.

I would be happy to contribute to whatever you decide to do.
Sara
richard

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2007, 11:03PM »

Sara

Make a Wish is a great Charity and maybe we all could do something for Make A Wish in the name of Celtic Woman, as i have read so many times Celtic Woman  and their songs have touched the hearts of many here and around the world just an idea.
Jason

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2007, 03:44AM »

Came across this one on Flogging Molly's website (irish rock band). They are based in Ireland, but they have offices in the US and UK too. Haven't got to do much research yet.

GOAL Ireland / GOAL USA

"GOAL'S MISSION STATEMENT

To work towards ensuring that the poorest of the poor and most vulnerable in our world and those affected by humanitarian crises have access to the fundamental needs and rights of life, for example, food, water, shelter, medical attention and literacy."

"In 2007, on our 30th Anniversary, GOAL is indebted to the Irish public whose constant generosity and compassion has made it possible for us to respond to nearly every major natural and man-made disaster, and operate development programmes in 50 countries since our inception. Today GOAL spends millions every year (over €60 million in 2006) implementing relief and development programmes to help the most vulnerable in 11 developing countries. We have managed to do this on an administration cost base of less than 5% per annum."
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 03:46AM by thraken » Logged

rosie l

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2007, 05:41AM »

I think GOAL would be great as our charity.

Rosie
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2007, 07:10AM »

I've done some research on GOAL and they are indeed a worthy cause with a very low overhead rate.  I'd have no problem going with this choice.

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
richard

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2007, 08:45AM »

Rich

if you need any help

Richard
SusanZ
CWF Global Moderator
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2007, 11:55AM »

I've done some research on GOAL and they are indeed a worthy cause with a very low overhead rate.  I'd have no problem going with this choice.
That one sounds like a good choice to me,too.

Zee

"We create our tomorrows by what we dream today"
Thanks Hayley for the great banner!!
Moscapoet
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2007, 03:09PM »

Sounds good and Irish based. Low overheard. Not part of some political organization. OK!
constantine336

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2007, 05:26PM »

This Irish based charity sounds like a great idea to honor our Celtic songbirds. Perhaps members could donate to a fund specificly to honor all of the people who make CW a reality. Then if the amounts could be posted I think it would really please the girls. We have over 500 members if each member could give on the average say 12-20 dollars that would be between $6,000 to 20,000. A lot of good could come of that. Of course members should also feel free to donate to any of their favorite causes.
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2007, 06:22PM »

Okay, it's beginning to look like the majority like the idea of a group contribution, and GOAL Ireland seems to be a popular cause.  Just to be on the safe side, I've written to CW Ltd to ask their opinion.

The next question is - how do we want to organize it?  I can set up a donation account at my credit union, and members can deposit directly to it by PayPal or by sending a check directly to the CU.  These donations will be tax deductible, and your PayPal receipt or canceled check is sufficient proof of your donation.  Then, at an appropriate time, I can just close the account and make our contribution in the name of the performers and staff of Celtic Woman.

Note: the donation account is free, but it earns no interest.  It's set up to close automatically after 90 days, although I'd be closing it sooner in this case anyway.

KiernanKate
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2007, 06:28PM »

There are a few charities I give to as an individual a little bit throughout the year and the vast majority of them focus around kids, if not completely.

Crippled Children's Fund of Canada 
Miracle Children's Network
Stollery Hospital
St. Jude's Hospital for Sick Kids (also sometimes called Sick Kids, or St Judes).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: