Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Online Map Of The Celtic Tenors & Deirdre Shannon Canadian Tour (April 2007)  (Read 6669 times)
Woody

« on: April 15, 2007, 03:18PM »

I few days ago I created a map of the dates/venues (arranged by date) of the Canadian Tour (based on the information at the website) using Google's new My Maps feature.  I also added some lines connecting each venue along the tour.   

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&om=1&z=4&msid=105640722381501517145.00000111e3d130050a80e&msa=0

Just click on one of the locations to the left (eg, "April 15th: Knox United Church") and then zoom in.  You can also use the "Search Nearby" or "Find Businesses"  link once you have zoomed in to locate places of interest (eg, "Hotel", "Restaurant", "Airport", etc).  You can also find directions to/from a given marker (Tour destination).   Many applications - enjoy!

p.s.  I've posted about a similar map of the CW Tour here:
http://www.celticwomanforum.com/index.php?topic=198.0

blessed2bacwfan

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 08:44PM »

I apologize to my neighbors up north (Sassy et al), but my knowlege of Canadian geography is horrible.  Woody, this map not only helps me see where Deirdre is throughout their tour, but you've also increased my knowlege of where the various cities are. Thanks! 

I love wide open spaces.  Does anyone know where the best ones are in Canada?  According to Deirdre's last tour update, it sounds like she just drove across 400 miles of some of those wide open spaces  - lol!  I've also heard that the Rocky Mountains are even more majestic the further north you get. Montana is the furthest north I've seen the Rockies.
Sassy

Ni Caoim

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 01:29PM »

I've never been west in my own country, so what I'm telling you is based on other family that travelled/lived out west.

If you want wide open flat spaces, go to our prairie provinces, they said it's endless miles of flat open country.

They said the best place to see is Banff Alberta, it's gorgeous and go to Lake Louise.

I took this excerpt from Wikipedia for Banff. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banff%2C_Alberta

Banff (2006 Town Population 6,700; UA population 6,700)( 51°10?N, 115°33?W Elevation: 1,463 m/4,800 ft) is the largest town in Banff National Park, located in southwestern Alberta within the Canadian Rockies, making it the town with the highest elevation in Canada. The town is situated above Bow Falls near the junction of the Bow and Spray Rivers. Banff is located about 135 kilometres (85 mi) west of Calgary on the Trans-Canada Highway. It is also 58 kilometres (36 mi) east of Lake Louise.
Sassy

Ni Caoim

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 01:32PM »

As for Ontario, there are many beautiful wide open spaces here.  We're situated along the Canadian shield and there is some elevation, but not really mountains.   This province, especially up in the Georgian Bay area (Lake Huron) and the Haliburton Highlands, has some of the most stunning scenery.  Our province has approximately 1/4 of a million lakes, so there is lot of water recreation up here.

Deirdre is going to be playing up in Huntsville Ontario in late August I believe it is, I used to live up there and I'm thinking if I can take the time off to travel (it's about 5 hours north of me), I might just see if I can get tickets, I'd love to see her and the Celtic Tenors.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 01:35PM by Sassy » Logged
blessed2bacwfan

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 06:21PM »

Sassy,
Thank you for graciously answering my questions.  I think I would very much enjoy the vastness and loneliness of your prairie provinces.  I've heard through the years that Banff is the best way to enjoy the majesty of the Rocky Mountains. Since you are a Canadien, I especially trust your recommendation.  We get together with Scotty's parents and brother/sister-in-law once a year to experience a new corner of the world together.  In 2008 we're spending a week at Colonial Williamsburg here in Virgina. In the past we have camped out in the snow at Yellowstone Nat'l Park (June was a TAD too early in the summer to tent camp), stayed in a lake house in Michigan, gathered on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State, and stayed in the Highlands of Scotland then in Edinburgh to experience the Military Tatoo.  We've mentinoed Banff in the past as a place we'd all like to see, so 2009 seems like a good time to go.  Sassy, what time of the year would you recommend for a week long visit?

BTW, I hope you can go see Deirdre in person in Ontario. I've heard so many exemplary things about her from forum members who have met her and seen her perfrom so I'm looking forward to seeing her perform in early August.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: