Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LOTR  (Read 19279 times)
Believe

Celtic Woman is a blessing from God

« on: June 29, 2014, 12:28PM »

Hi Everyone!

I am a big fan of Lord of the Rings. Is anyone else? I wanted to ask these questions: Who is your favorite character and do you think they represent anything from the Bible?

ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

let it carry me through darkest night

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 02:21PM »

I love LOTR, especially the books and everything by J.R.R. Tolkien.

My favourite characters are Celeborn, Samwise, Treebeard and Elrond, aswell as Bilbo.

There is no "do you think". There simply is a lot of Christian allegory, simply because Tolkien was a very, very devout Catholic. The Silmarillion is kind of the Old Testament. There is even a creation of Arda and a fallen angel. And there is a typical "wrong religion" in LOTR. For example, the men believe in various gods of the elves, even though it is wrong. There is only one God (Eru) and the other "gods" are actually angels (Valar, Maiar). But the don't understand the elvish religion and believe in a wrong version of it. Melkor does definitely represent Lucifer. That's simply a fact. There is a lot of Christian allegory.

Kimberly AJ
Choir Member

Chloë Agnew will always be my VBIF forever~!

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 03:16PM »

My parents and I watched the live-action version of the first two films from the series and it seems like a long story.

LOOK OUT! ROGUE ROBOTS!
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 03:30PM »

Hmmm ...interesting .....  Smiley      Well..  Sauron  is  obviously  Satan  and  Sauruman  is  likely the  anti-christ .   I  don't  really  think  there  are  any  Christ like  characters, but  Gandalf or  Lady  Galadriel  are  the  closest  to  that.  my  fave  character  is  probably  Pippin  or  Gimli.  

ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 02:00AM »

Sauron is actually not Satan. Melkor the fallen Valar (high angel) is actually Satan. Sauron the fallen Maiar (low angel) actually portrays a low devil or demon, helping Melkor.

Believe

Celtic Woman is a blessing from God

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 03:36PM »

My favorite must be Frodo. I think he represents the sinner struggling forward by God's grace. I also really enjoy Samwise. He seems to represent the people God brings in your life to encourage you.

dbbii

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 09:14AM »

While I don't have my books readily available, I believe if you read the forward, etc to the LOTR, there is a comment by JRRT that his purpose was to write a really long story that could hold people's interest.  He goes on to state that those who think the story was influenced by world events (i.e WW2) are wrong.

Having said that, any writer is influenced by his upbringing/religion/parents/etc.  Key word is influenced.

gig5
Total Fanatic

The fight for Middle Earth

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 12:40PM »

My favourite characters are Celeborn, Samwise, Treebeard and Elrond, aswell as Bilbo.

There is no "do you think". There simply is a lot of Christian allegory, simply because Tolkien was a very, very devout Catholic. The Silmarillion is kind of the Old Testament. There is even a creation of Arda and a fallen angel. And there is a typical "wrong religion" in LOTR. For example, the men believe in various gods of the elves, even though it is wrong. There is only one God (Eru) and the other "gods" are actually angels (Valar, Maiar). But the don't understand the elvish religion and believe in a wrong version of it. Melkor does definitely represent Lucifer. That's simply a fact. There is a lot of Christian allegory.

Actually not to contradict, but Tolkien was a Christian. He led CS Lewis to Jesus.
gig5
Total Fanatic

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 12:45PM »

Back to the idea, I think Sam is like the strong Christian, and Frodo the weaker one.  Grin But both played a very important roll in the Saving of Middle Earth. Gollum is like the unbeliever, torn into two sides, a good and a bad. He is struggling to fight the ring. Frodo has become a dear friend to him in the two towers and he must choose between accepted Frodo's love, or staying his old course of lies and deceit, sadly the latter wins. It is like a Christian telling an unbeliever about Christ. They can reject God's love, or accept it.....
ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 02:00PM »

Actually not to contradict, but Tolkien was a Christian. He led CS Lewis to Jesus.

What do you mean? I said Tolkien was a very devout Catholic. And yes, I know, he was one of the people who led Lewis to Christianity - or well, do believing in a god. He than decided to believe in God. Sow hat exactly do you mean? I said exactly the same things as you've said. And I added that there is nothing to argue about if it's Christian or not. It is deeply Christian.

Kimberly AJ
Choir Member

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 02:44PM »

The Hobbit is a spinoff of the series, don't you think?

LOOK OUT! ROGUE ROBOTS!
ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 03:02PM »

Actually, Kimberly, The Hobbit is a prequel. It was first written by J. R.R. Tolkien, he later wrote The Lord Of The Rings and his other middle-earth works, even though most of them (like The Silmarillion) were published by his son after his own death. So The Hobbit is not really a spin-off, but an earlier work by the same author, set in the same world and it's connected to the happenings in LOTR.

Kimberly AJ
Choir Member

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 06:34PM »

Perhaps I got confused about the series.

LOOK OUT! ROGUE ROBOTS!
gig5
Total Fanatic

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 07:44AM »

Perhaps I got confused about the series.

My dad did too!
gig5
Total Fanatic

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2014, 01:06PM »

I thin Eowyn is like Ester a little bit, wnating to help her people.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: