Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LOTR  (Read 19280 times)
Kimberly AJ
Choir Member

Chloë Agnew will always be my VBIF forever~!

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2014, 01:54PM »

What is so tempting about the ring and who made it?

LOOK OUT! ROGUE ROBOTS!
The Impatient New Yorker
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2014, 08:35PM »

You can read about the history here
http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/One_Ring

I've met Lisa L, Lynn(2x), Susan, Mairead C(2x), Mairead N (2x), Edel, Sarah, Nick, Craig, Anthony, Maggie, and Tommy
gig5
Total Fanatic

The fight for Middle Earth

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2014, 06:24PM »

What is so tempting about the ring and who made it?

sauran the dark lord made it. It is tempting because it is evil....
ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

let it carry me through darkest night

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2014, 05:26AM »

I love LOTR, especially the books and everything by J.R.R. Tolkien.

My favourite characters are Celeborn, Samwise, Treebeard and Elrond, aswell as Bilbo.

There is no "do you think". There simply is a lot of Christian allegory, simply because Tolkien was a very, very devout Catholic. The Silmarillion is kind of the Old Testament. There is even a creation of Arda and a fallen angel. And there is a typical "wrong religion" in LOTR. For example, the men believe in various gods of the elves, even though it is wrong. There is only one God (Eru) and the other "gods" are actually angels (Valar, Maiar). But the don't understand the elvish religion and believe in a wrong version of it. Melkor does definitely represent Lucifer. That's simply a fact. There is a lot of Christian allegory.

Actually not to contradict, but Tolkien was a Christian. He led CS Lewis to Jesus.

I was browsing through this thread again... Darling, what do you mean? I've asked you once and I think you haven't seen that post. In my post I said that Tolkien was a Christian. But it looks like you think I've said something else. I just said that LOTR is a deeply Christian book written by a devout Catholic. What's wrong with that?

And yes, I know, he influenced Lewis a lot and was one of the persons who led him to Christianity. Alas, Tolkien was a bit disappointed when Lewis became an Anglican and not a Catholic. That didn't hurt their friendship though, because they both didn't care much for denominations Smiley

I was just a little confused because we just said the same, but your post seemed to disagree with my post, even though we both agree that Tolkien actually was a Christian.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 05:32AM by ShiningBright » Logged

gig5
Total Fanatic

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2014, 08:12AM »

I love LOTR, especially the books and everything by J.R.R. Tolkien.

My favourite characters are Celeborn, Samwise, Treebeard and Elrond, aswell as Bilbo.

There is no "do you think". There simply is a lot of Christian allegory, simply because Tolkien was a very, very devout Catholic. The Silmarillion is kind of the Old Testament. There is even a creation of Arda and a fallen angel. And there is a typical "wrong religion" in LOTR. For example, the men believe in various gods of the elves, even though it is wrong. There is only one God (Eru) and the other "gods" are actually angels (Valar, Maiar). But the don't understand the elvish religion and believe in a wrong version of it. Melkor does definitely represent Lucifer. That's simply a fact. There is a lot of Christian allegory.

Actually not to contradict, but Tolkien was a Christian. He led CS Lewis to Jesus.

I was browsing through this thread again... Darling, what do you mean? I've asked you once and I think you haven't seen that post. In my post I said that Tolkien was a Christian. But it looks like you think I've said something else. I just said that LOTR is a deeply Christian book written by a devout Catholic. What's wrong with that?

And yes, I know, he influenced Lewis a lot and was one of the persons who led him to Christianity. Alas, Tolkien was a bit disappointed when Lewis became an Anglican and not a Catholic. That didn't hurt their friendship though, because they both didn't care much for denominations Smiley

I was just a little confused because we just said the same, but your post seemed to disagree with my post, even though we both agree that Tolkien actually was a Christian.

You said he was a very devout Catholic.
ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2014, 11:58AM »

Yes, but what's the problem here? You didn't say anything else. Tolkien was a devout Roman Catholic. And that is why there is a Christian influence in his books. I think we both agree on that, right? The Roman Catholic church is the largest church in the world, most Christians are Catholics. And so was Tolkien. And so am I. And so are most of our CWuties. I know, some people don't like Catholics, but that doesn't give them the right to say Catholics aren't Christians. So, if you dislike Catholics for whatever reason, then that's your thing and okay. But that won't change the fact that Tolkien was a Catholic.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 12:04PM by ShiningBright » Logged

gig5
Total Fanatic

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2014, 07:47AM »

Yes, but what's the problem here? You didn't say anything else. Tolkien was a devout Roman Catholic. And that is why there is a Christian influence in his books. I think we both agree on that, right? The Roman Catholic church is the largest church in the world, most Christians are Catholics. And so was Tolkien. And so am I. And so are most of our CWuties. I know, some people don't like Catholics, but that doesn't give them the right to say Catholics aren't Christians. So, if you dislike Catholics for whatever reason, then that's your thing and okay. But that won't change the fact that Tolkien was a Catholic.

I didn't say I don't like Catholics, I love them actually, they are very warm, republican people. But the one thing that is wrong is a Christian is not a Catholic. Tolkien was a Christian I believe because there are some symbolizims in the LOTR books, that a Catholic would not put in. Catholics and Christians are not the same. That's my point.
ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2014, 08:46AM »

Catholics are a kind of Christians. And Tolkien was a Catholic Christian. What denomination are you of? Or are you a non-dnominational Christian? Of course, not all Christians are Catholics, but all Catholics are Christians. Not all dogs are corgis, but believe me, all corgis are dogs! You can't just say Catholics aren't Christians. And Tolkien himself said he was a Catholic. That's a simple official thing. He was a Catholic Christian. Like Lewis was an Anglican Christian. Both of them were Christians, but not of the same kind.

But of course, the Christian allegory in LOTR is Christian in general, not only Catholic.

Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2014, 08:18PM »

The  latest Hobbit  movie is  scheduled to be released this  December.    Cool

ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2014, 02:53AM »

I haven't seen the Hobbit movies yet, but I am very curious Smiley

gig5
Total Fanatic

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2014, 11:39AM »

I haven't seen the Hobbit movies yet, but I am very curious Smiley

They are totally awesome!!! You have to see them!!!
ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2014, 12:20PM »

I will definitely try to watch them  Grin

Believe

Celtic Woman is a blessing from God

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2014, 10:07AM »

Isn't it true that Catholics believe that one must do good works to receive salvation? The Bible says: "I am the way, the truth and the life. No man comes to the father but through me." So, how can good works save you if Christ just contradicted it? Christian is an overly used word. Many people claim to be Christians. A true Christian is one who believes that Christ is the Only Way, not the church or good works etc. Hope this helps. Check the the Bible out. All the answers are in there Smiley

ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2014, 10:20AM »

Believe, that's not what it was about. I just said Tolkien was a Catholic. If people agree with Catholicism or not is not the point here. But saying Tolkien couldn't be a Catholic because he was a Christian is plain nonsense. He was a Catholic Christian. And no, Catholics don't believe people had to do certain things to receive salvation - nothing in the Catholic church works without Christ. But doing good is always a good thing Wink
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 10:53AM by ShiningBright » Logged

Believe

Celtic Woman is a blessing from God

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2014, 10:28AM »

They do believe that the Pope is a high authority. All must listen to the Pope. But Christ is the only authority. Works in Christ's name don't get you to heaven. It is by believing in Him alone for salvation. Knowing He already paid it all.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: