Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LOTR  (Read 19127 times)
ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

let it carry me through darkest night

« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2014, 03:04PM »

Believe, this is not a thread about Catholicism. It is a thread about "The Lord Of The Rings". And if Catholics are "good" or "wrong" or whatever is unimportant for this thread. The only thing I said is that Tolkien indeed was a Catholic  while Isabella said he couldn't be one, because he was a Christian. The fact is, that Tolkien was a Catholic. He statet so himself. His wife who was protestant converted to Catholicism for him. If you think Catholics are right or wrong or not even Christians is your personal view, but that doesn't change Tolkien's confession.

And yes, in the Catholic church the Pope is a high authority, he is the successor of Simon Peter. But he doesn't "get you to heaven" nor do "works in Christ's name". But that is clearly not the point of Catholicism. And not the point of this thread. And not the point of LOTR. And not the point of John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, who was a Roman Catholic. C. S. Lewis was, by the way, an Anglican turned Atheist, turned Anglican, turned Catholic.

gig5
Total Fanatic

The fight for Middle Earth

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2014, 08:56AM »

Believe, this is not a thread about Catholicism. It is a thread about "The Lord Of The Rings". And if Catholics are "good" or "wrong" or whatever is unimportant for this thread. The only thing I said is that Tolkien indeed was a Catholic  while Isabella said he couldn't be one, because he was a Christian. The fact is, that Tolkien was a Catholic. He statet so himself. His wife who was protestant converted to Catholicism for him. If you think Catholics are right or wrong or not even Christians is your personal view, but that doesn't change Tolkien's confession.

And yes, in the Catholic church the Pope is a high authority, he is the successor of Simon Peter. But he doesn't "get you to heaven" nor do "works in Christ's name". But that is clearly not the point of Catholicism. And not the point of this thread. And not the point of LOTR. And not the point of John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, who was a Roman Catholic. C. S. Lewis was, by the way, an Anglican turned Atheist, turned Anglican, turned Catholic.

Yes, we are here to talk about Lord of the rings, and not Catholicism. You can make another thread for that if you want believe, but let's keep this lotr related.
ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

let it carry me through darkest night

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2014, 09:13AM »

We don't need a Catholic thread either, because we have a Religion thread.

This thread is LOTR related.

And to all sum it up:
LOTR has lots of Christian influence/allegory. The Silmarillion is a perfect example.
Tolkien was a Catholic. That is an official fact, he said so himself.
The Roman Catholic church is a Christian denomination, that is a fact. Personal opinions about the church in particular (if it's "qualified" as a Christian church, etc.) are personal opinions and don't need to be discussed here.
The Christian allegory in LOTR is generally Christian, even though Tolkien was a Catholic. Just as the allegory in Narnia is generally Christian, even though Lewis was Anglican.

gig5
Total Fanatic

« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2014, 10:05AM »

We don't need a Catholic thread either, because we have a Religion thread.

This thread is LOTR related.

And to all sum it up:
LOTR has lots of Christian influence/allegory. The Silmarillion is a perfect example.
Tolkien was a Catholic. That is an official fact, he said so himself.
The Roman Catholic church is a Christian denomination, that is a fact. Personal opinions about the church in particular (if it's "qualified" as a Christian church, etc.) are personal opinions and don't need to be discussed here.
The Christian allegory in LOTR is generally Christian, even though Tolkien was a Catholic. Just as the allegory in Narnia is generally Christian, even though Lewis was Anglican.

Yes, so let's no argue. And keep this quite nice. Smiley
Lanti SF
Honorary Roadie

Proudly diagnosed Celtaholic!

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2014, 02:44PM »

I've watched the movies for the original three books, but it was a while ago. I'm currently reading the first one, but which one is your favourite out of the three?

Thanks Godshorsegirl!
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2014, 05:21PM »

I  like  the  final  one  best  ROTK....   BTW ...the final   Hobbit  movie  is out in December !    Cheesy

Kimberly AJ
Choir Member

Chloë Agnew will always be my VBIF forever~!

« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2014, 05:35PM »

I wanna try the Hobbit series. Smiley

LOOK OUT! ROGUE ROBOTS!
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2014, 05:43PM »

I wanna try the Hobbit series. Smiley
  It's  great  so  far  Kimberly  !    Cool

Sorgi

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2014, 05:16AM »

I've read them all over time (probably gonna have to dive in again at some point).  Oddly I become more interested in some of the stories that were only mentioned in passing or the appendices . The northern campaign of the war of the ring, the history of lands mentioned once, etc.

-Dan

gig5
Total Fanatic

« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2014, 06:12PM »

I've read them all over time (probably gonna have to dive in again at some point).  Oddly I become more interested in some of the stories that were only mentioned in passing or the appendices . The northern campaign of the war of the ring, the history of lands mentioned once, etc.

They are really awesome.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: