Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Nanny  (Read 6259 times)
ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

let it carry me through darkest night

« on: November 23, 2015, 04:55AM »

Does anyone know it? For those who don't - it's the best show on earth!

Niles is the best and no one has the right to disagree, except those who think Yetta is the best, as those people are right, too.

Excalibur

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 06:20AM »

I loved that show so much Smiley When I was a kid I used to watch it every day and even now I check old episodes when I need a good laugh Cheesy

Fun fact: in the original english version, Fran is Jewish and Sylvia is her mother and Yetta her grandma. In the italian dubbing, Fran is called Francesca and she's originary from Italy, Sylvia is her aunt and Yetta is another aunt  Shocked Basically a good half of the script was changed XD

ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 07:00AM »

In the Italian dub? I thought only in the adaptation they've made... so they changed all the lines? How odd... Well, in the German dub, it's all the same except for some puns or references taht didn't work in German... I know there is an Italian adaptation that is like you've described it, but I didn't know about the changes in the dub.

Celtic Chan
Bodhrán Player

Queen Méav

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 10:57AM »

Yep, that's a great show! Smiley
ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 11:35AM »

It certainly is Cheesy

What are your favourite episodes? Mine are, among others Grin, The Christmas Episode (not the cartoon one, but the one when Maxwell's not Home for Christmas), The Nanny (when it all began), The Butler, the Husband, the Wife and Her Mother (it's so great!), Yetta's Lettas (Nile's singing!), What The Butler Sang (same!), Strange Bedfellows (obvious reasons), First Date (I'm just a huge Elton John fan), Where's The Pearls (Oh, how do you do, Tiss Maylor. I'm Biles the nutler.), Deep Throat (Shister Medfield, I love you.) and I've Got a Secret (emergency transvestite).
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 11:49AM by ShiningBright » Logged

Excalibur

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 12:41PM »

In the Italian dub? I thought only in the adaptation they've made... so they changed all the lines? How odd... Well, in the German dub, it's all the same except for some puns or references taht didn't work in German... I know there is an Italian adaptation that is like you've described it, but I didn't know about the changes in the dub.

Probably it's because there weren't so many Jewish people in Italy, so a whole lot of references wouldn't have been understood here. Something like this also happened with Japanese cartoons, but in that case it was basically censorship (for instance, in Sailor Moon Haruka and Michiru are depicted just as friends while in the original thery're lovers) Sad

ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 12:57PM »

The German version fo Sailor Moon is party censored, too, while the American version is fully censored. When Bunny actually got drunk from a cocktail, they said she was sugar high from juice in the American dub Grin

Hmm... the Jewish references might get over many people's head's in Germany, but they've kept them. But what did they do in the Italian dub when the Jewish things were seen, like the Menorahs, or the Synagogues? What about the episode when she was in a relationship with the Cantor?

In the German dub they've simply changed some minor English puns that didn't make sense in German languages or some references to tv shows that were not that well-known here, unimportant things like that. However, for some reason, they cut a scene in the last episode o.O

Excalibur

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 05:52AM »

Hmm... the Jewish references might get over many people's head's in Germany, but they've kept them. But what did they do in the Italian dub when the Jewish things were seen, like the Menorahs, or the Synagogues? What about the episode when she was in a relationship with the Cantor?

Yeah, they made it so that Fran went to the synagogue just to meet the cantor XD

ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 07:24AM »

Okay... but that's a lot of lack of logic then! What about the other times when they've celebrated Jewish Holidays? And was Barbra Streisand replaced with someone? And what did they do at the wedding? Was Maxwell made the Jew?

Excalibur

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 04:30PM »

No, Maxwell was not made a Jew... As for the holidays, they were changed to family reunions or events where Fran went for some other reasons XD And yes, there is a lack of logic in everything Cheesy Oddly enough, Barbra was not changed - they simply pointed that Fran is a huge Barbra fan Cheesy

ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 04:47PM »

Interesting, very interesting Grin But what DID they do on the wedding? Say there rabbi's there for fun?

Excalibur

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 06:59PM »

Worse Cheesy They say he's there to represent the mayor XDDD And then he sings XD

ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2015, 04:02AM »

Okay... that's... just too diriculous Grin Hahaha... Really, great.

Tiffany Gray
Honorary Roadie

I love Celtic Woman and soft sweaters.

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2015, 01:46PM »

I LOVE that show! And I so agree! Niles is so funny! The way he teases Cece is too funny!

ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2015, 03:55PM »

Niles and CC are absolutely brilliant! The chemistry between Daniel Davis and Lauren Lane is absolutely fantastic, it's so easy to see how much they like each other in real life Cheesy Also, Daniel's a fantastic singer. I wish there were more recordings, but I can only find some clips from "In Fashion" and veeery few from "La Cage Aux Folles" (such a great show...)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: