Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2015.05.22 Fresno, CA  (Read 3073 times)
darel

« on: May 23, 2015, 01:28PM »

Celtic Woman 10th Anniversary Tour

2015.05.22 Saroyan Theater Fresno, CA

Previously I have posted that I had no professional show experience, that changed last night.   We had  a short forty minute drive to get to Fresno and left in plenty of time to eat before the show.  After being on Southbound CA99 around eight minutes we hit a traffic backup.  This was not unusual at 5PM so I assumed it was a normal slowdown, turns out it was not.  Traffic picked up again only to slow a couple of minutes later and we decided to leave the highway for the frontage road.  From there our path took us in an easterly direction to CA41 which took us to Fresno and Sweet Tomatoes.  After eating we continued on 41 to the venue, being forty minutes early I expected no problems finding a place to park the long wheelbase Dodge truck, I was wrong.  In addition to our Show, and “our” could later be capitalized, there was a graduation that evening already underway.  The Convention Center parking lot was full, the clearance in the parking garage was too low and street parking was not available.  Just north of the parking garage was an open lot we were able to get in. 
     The doors had been opened a half hour earlier so there was no line to get into the theater.  The woman who scanned our tickets assured us we had good seats, Pit: Row BB; 1 and 2.  She was correct but was unaware of just how good they were, as was I.  We strolled around the lobby to see what was there.  The line was short at the merchandise table and we obtained a t-shirt as I eyed Meav's CD.  Obtained a Program for twenty dollars and a bottle of water, that came in handy later, for three.  Onward to find our seats.
     We were in seats in front of the first row of regular theater seats.  Three rows of chairs had been set up and our chairs were second row, stage left (a lot happened stage left it turned out).  My chair had a red “X” by it on the floor.  We were almost directly underneath a large set of speakers. I jested with Diana that the “X” marked the  spot where the speakers would fall later and land in my lap.  Thankfully I was wrong about that, however an incident did occur later directly related to that red “X” that took me by surprise.   The theater was filling up reaching about ninety percent capacity at showtime.  The house light went down and the show began.
     I have not been to a Celtic Woman show for several years.  Some things have remained the same while other things have changed.  The show has evolved from that first one night performance of solo performers put together to loosely form a group to the more polished troupe it is today.  It was good to see some familiar faces among the ones I had not seen before.  I enjoyed watching and listening to Susan for the first time.  Lynn and Alex I have seen before, Lynn being more reserved to Alex's more outgoing.  Mairead, while still quite active, has slowed down a bit perhaps due to the large sparkler on her finger.  Anthony remains a fine part of the show.  Dance has been added since my last show, Diana enjoying it more than myself.  Musical Theater has been expanded which I am now a huge fan of since the “incident”.
     During the evening the audience gave a nice round of applause after each performance, even applauding individual band member performances within a song.  A standing ovation was given at the end of the last number and another as the cast was introduced by Mairead after that.  In closing, during a musical theater number I found out what that red “X” was there for.  There was some singing going on but nobody was on the stage, looking around I spotted Susan on the other side of the theater a little behind where we were sitting.  She was looking and making gestures toward our side of the theater.  I turned to look to my right to see Alex four feet from me.  She was gesturing towards Susan so I looked back to my left.  Seconds later, Alex sat on my lap.  I placed my arm around her waist to steady her, most likely not needed but I did it anyway.  While there she and Susan kept gesturing to each other.  Then they both went to the stage where they continued the number.
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 02:12PM »

Thank  you  for  your  accounting of  your  experience.      Cool   

momopeach

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 12:24AM »

Seems like you enjoyed the show  Smiley
My turn on Sunday!

Obtained a Program for twenty dollars

Wait, so the little piece of paper cost $20?
The Impatient New Yorker
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 07:31AM »

The Celtic Woman program is printed on high quality material. Here's a picture
https://www.facebook.com/800863473301903/photos/pb.800863473301903.-2207520000.1432819824./813125702075680/?type=1&theater

I've met Lisa L, Lynn(2x), Susan, Mairead C(2x), Mairead N (2x), Edel, Sarah, Nick, Craig, Anthony, Maggie, and Tommy
Sorgi

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 04:59PM »

I'm not sure I would call it a program exactly, not like you would get at your local theater or the like.  I'm not sure how I would describe it, but not something to be wadded up and disposed of at the end of the show.  I'll probably get one on Sunday, more on account that it's a milestone year than anything else.

-Dan

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: