Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sacramento 5/31  (Read 3220 times)
Sorgi

« on: May 31, 2015, 10:12PM »

As usual writing these are not my Forte, but I'll try to get my  impressions down as best I can.  Since I only have an account and post  here (hehe only patience for one central location...or is that attention  span) feel free to copy this over to other fan forums if you feel they  would like this.

First off I like to arrive hours early.   In this case around 7AM,  once I navigated the annoying network of one way streets that is downtown  Sacramento and found a decent parking garage (Ohhhh weekend rates are so  much better) I took care of an hour long obligation.  I killed some time  waiting for deVeers irish pub to open fro brunch by walking around the  convention center.  I noticed that one of the buses was already there, I  assume the crew had left Reno and came directly to setup with the  equipment.  The last time I was at deveers it was in the evening, noisy  and the bustle of the city at night.  At 9am it was quiet and I was able  to eat breakfast at my own pace.  I wandered into old Sacramento...lets  see if i can get the pictures and video to fit right.

The ziggurat...Fans of The Mentalist probably don't realize this is where  the CBI was meant to be located (from window views)

Good thing no one from the show saw this place.

ChooChoo Video

On to the Venue.   First things first...a change from the usual venue.    The Community Center Theater has a much better sound than the Memorial  Auditorium, where they usually play.  A performance hall rather than A  cavernous multipurpose room.  
   Once they let us into the Lobby we milled around...more and more  of us until it seemed like we were Sardines ready to burst the tin, Save  the curious bubbles around the two moonlighting program vendors.  At last  movement and on to my seat.   Now I got lucky when I bought my ticket....I  hadn't had any money for this until about two weeks ago.  I was smack dab  in the middle of the eighth orchestra row, which for this theater is  almost ideal seating.  The pit area where I assume the M&G people were is  not that good with the edge of the stage blocking a lot of the view.  So  here closer isn't necessarily better.  On photos....the Ushers were death  on anyone snapping a photo even before the show with people taking selfies  I did manage to get an audience view of the stage before they started  going after people.

There are a number of things that I've always had fun with in the  show.  I don't think that Ray's Bodhrain gag is ever gonna get old for me,   he just has too much fun with it.  I'm pretty sure Máiréad N turned away  suddenly during the intro of Téir Abhaile Riú to avoid cracking up.   Orinoco always gets a cheer the second any can recognize that it is up.   The guys goofing around during their numbers.  Marveling on how Anthony  can pipe and negotiate steps at the same time while looking straight  ahead.  From that side of the stage all seemed well.
   On my side of the stage...welllllll.  People were still finding  their seats during Newgrange....even though flash photography is  forbidden it's still distracting to see this side of a smartphone light up  (which is why the ushers were quite busy).  The worst for me is right in  the Middle of Nella Fantasia two people decide to try for the two empty  seats next to me.  Now, I'm right in the middle of the row which means  they had to crawl over everyone to the right of me. I'm pretty sure I saw  my "what the heck" look being mirrored onstage.  Then the two proceed to  natter for the rest of the show.  I was seriously tempted to pull out my  phone to attract an Ushers attention.
   Made it to the end and briefly spoke to Ray after the incredibly  cute scene with him and this little girl.  He was off to a pub before a 14  Hour bus ride.  Once I reoriented myself to figure out where I had parked,  it was off to my car.  Of Course figuring out how to navigate the one way  streets partially blocked by construction is another story.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 07:55AM by Sorgi » Logged

-Dan

Maloney
Featured Soloist

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 08:21AM »

Sounds like a good time.  Wish we could have been there this year.

=)  yes!! We got to go ! 
Then there was Atlanta !
Dan

Éireannach

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 12:10PM »

What solo does Alex have in the first act now that Mairead Carlin is back? I haven't been able to find that posted anywhere!

20 June 2007-Portland, ME
22 March 2012-Manchester, NH
2 March 2013-Portland, ME
30 May 2014-Bangor, ME
28 March 2015-Portland, ME
28 June 2016-Lowell, MA
9 April 2017-Portland, ME
4 April 2018-Portland, ME
Lily Anna
Total Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 01:01PM »

Thanks for the review!

What solo does Alex have in the first act now that Mairead Carlin is back? I haven't been able to find that posted anywhere!
I found a tweet yesterday that says that Alex is singing Dulaman! I hope someone gets video or at least audio!
https://twitter.com/juanv06/status/604327501943320576

Thanks, Shining Bright!
momopeach

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 01:20PM »

Alex sang Dullahan and The Voice if I recall correctly.

Her and Mairead had a duet together. Sí Do Mhaimeo I think.

To OP, love your pics. I was there as well. How come you got there so early though? At least you were first in line!
Sorgi

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 03:12PM »

A long time ago I learned "Early is on time and on time is late"  I just make sure early really is early.  Partly I'm used to having trouble finding parking, most CW shows here have been during the week which means most of the garages are full by 11AM or earlier.  Of course going into the CCT once the doors opened was kind of pointless since they didn't have the inner doors open, was like a bunch of Sardines until they let us into the theater proper.

That little picture is actually a video, I didn't want to run it through the site so a click will play it on another page.

-Dan

Sorgi

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 06:53AM »

Oh and it looks like Anthony was lugging around more than his pipes on Sunday https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n08mQtfESBE&list=PLVFiKflBZkYtcwvraOWzRl6kBwwYF_7dv&index=1

-Dan

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: