Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Random Thoughts From Shreveport  (Read 5298 times)
Hubert
Bodhrán Player

« on: November 12, 2015, 02:40PM »

Shreveport Municipal Auditorium is an imposing red brick building built in the 1920's.  It has a long history as a music venue.  Its most notable attribute is that it is the place where Elvis Presley made a name for himself.  The inside is very nice.  It has obviously been remodeled at some point in recent years.

I walked around inside and checked the place out and then made my way to the front row.  I talked with some nice people around me.  The lady to my immediate right was attending her first CW concert and was excited.  Her husband asked me about the performers because I had on a CW tee shirt and he thought I could answer his questions.  I did.

The Celtic Tenors were the first act and gave a nice half hour performance.

Anytime a new artist joins Celtic Woman I anticipate  how well she will blend in.  Eabha sounded very nice in the first number, SDS.  She has more of an alto voice somewhat like Orla instead of soprano like the other girls.  She joined Mairead Carlin in introducing and singing Newgrange.

It is interesting to see how Susan's rendition of Caledonia has evolved over the last few years.

Mairead C. and Susan did not come down the aisles for the beginning of TAR but instead entered the stage from side entrances.  The aisles do not lead up to the stage but the outside aisles lead up steps that go into hallways on each side and they go back around to rear stage doors.  It would have taken too long to take that route and maintain the continuity of the song.  However, when Anto came down the aisle for the intro to Amazing Grace he did take the circuitous route after he finished his opening.  He had plenty of time to make it on stage for his next part in the song.

The girls did an excellent job with Danny Boy.  There were some ooh's and aah's heard from the audience.  I did not care for the little piano addition to the song.  I prefer it in pure acapella form.

Tommy's playing of The New Ground was great as always.  It led into Isle of Hope sung solo by Eabha.  She did a great job.  She has a most interesting voice.  Eabha also sang the intro to YRMU with her alto sound.  I thought about Orla's intro in past years.

Mairead Carlin did a great job with Nella Fantasia.  I could tell that nearby audience members were impressed.  Chloe should approve.

The Celtic Tenors came back on stage and participated in The Parting Glass.

I always look forward to Anto's bagpipe play at the end.  Can anyone else play the pipes at this speed?

This auditorium was investigated by the Ghost Hunters a few years ago and I saw the episode on television.  Now that I have been there I wish to see that episode again.

Back at my motel room it took a long time to fall asleep.  Then I dreamed that I was visiting with Mairead Carlin and introduced her to some of my family members.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 02:43PM by Hubert » Logged

There is no Lambe like our Lil' Lambe.  Mairead Carlin is the real deal.
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 06:58PM »

Hey...  welcome  back  Hubert !  Long  time  no  see.    Cool

Hubert
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 02:15PM »

Thanks, James.  My internet time these days is limited.  Since I took early retirement I have to come to the public library for internet service.  None at home.  The service at the library is poor, it goes out quite often.  I miss my forum friends but I will stop by every so often to check in.  I will mainly post about concerts attended or upcoming events.  I do not have time to engage in games on the forum.  I think about you guys all the time.

There is no Lambe like our Lil' Lambe.  Mairead Carlin is the real deal.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: