Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just one solo for Éabha and Mairéad Carlin  (Read 12940 times)
Hollie

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2015, 06:27PM »

I can say that from seeing both the Sydney and Canberra shows, Eabha and Mairead C really shouldn't have duets together.  Their voices are just too different to mix well.  Their solo parts are amazing but together it just sounds weird.  Eabha is no Lynn, and Lynn could pull off singing with Mairead C flawlessly.

ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

let it carry me through darkest night

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2015, 01:53AM »

I think that's a matter of taste. Personally, I prefer very different voices for duets. After all, it's also common for men and women to sing duets together. To be, a duet doesn't mak emuch sense when they both sound like one singer. For example, my favourite CW duet version of The Last Rose of Summer is that of Méav and Hayley, not because it's the one on the dvd, but because they both sound so very different. Méav and Chloe sound more similar and Lynn and Chloe sound especially similar in that duet - or they did, back then. Méav's and especially Chloe's voices changed a lot since then.Of course, those versions are lovely too, but I prefer a bit of contrast.

Hollie

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2015, 03:06AM »

I like contrast too but Eabha and Mairead just don't blend well.  When they sung together Eabha's voice always over-powered Mairead's and you couldn't hear Mairead at all during Si do Mhaimeo.  It was like her microphone had literally been turned off when they were singing together.  When Mairead sings with Susan you can hear them both clearly, they kind of harmonise well together.  When Mairead and Lynn sung together their voices harmonised and blended wonderfully which breathed a new life into whatever they sung.  I know it's also a matter of opinion too but when the people next to you ask if Si do Mhaimeo was supposed to be a solo or duet gone wrong it gives you a different perspective.

ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

let it carry me through darkest night

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2015, 03:52AM »

Aaah, I understand what you mean. Now, that's a pity. However, they might just aswell "find" the right way to perform together. Perhaps, Mai C was not in a very good condition at that time? I heard a few clips on YT and she sounded unusually light. Perhaps it will work out after a while.

rfcw
Honorary Roadie

Alex Lynn as next guest DVD, Susan LL next Castle

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2015, 07:41AM »

Newgrange as a duet doesn't seem it would work, as the power being reflected was focused to me for one voice. To me Suil run would instead of Newgrange would sound good as a duet with both.

I have to agree & admit I heared Meav & Mairead in a clip do Si Di Mhaemo each were slightly different, it was beautiful, I can't say how it went with Alex, but since they done it since Emerald with Lisa L also nothing beats to Lynn's & Mairead's version. Seeing it for the First time in real at April I was so excited super happy out of the 2014 selections I was the most looking forward to that one since I never got a chance to see Emerald tour concert at all and the fact that Lynn was a part got me good, I couldn't believe between Alex and Meav that I got Lynn for April everything just like the Emerald tour I wished I even told that to Sarah & Edel! X So once I heard the tempo of the song beginning with the firy red lighted flaming background stage with Lynn interacting with her was a new plus for Celtic Woman almost being the best past with present combination, making me believe Lynn was really now accepted back as current member. More exposure of Lynn is a must since both her and Alex were fully to CW but not when looking at the cd's and dvd's. Another DVD special & album with Lynn in it was necessary. I'm very happy for Meav but already by the HFC & now Guest off Destiny this would be her 5th time whereas Lynn only 1 still 2 if lullaby for album. TGJ is also but how small..

In Summarizing Your saying that Lynn blending with Mairead C harmonizing beautifully as best friends is the best since Lynn returned? What about when Lisa L was on was it different, and  how about recently by Meav, and Alex? If Lynn & MC were meant to be I agree!x

« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 11:10AM by rfcw » Logged

Down the winding road where my Caranua\'s/CW GEMS are!<br /><br /><br />[img]https://thumb.ibb.co/d0ovKv/FB_IMG_15025
Hollie

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2015, 02:18PM »

I think Lynn should have definitely been on the Destiny CD/DVD too.  She returned to help out for one and a half years, and CW didn't even bother to post a thank you to her. 

Personally, I don't like Meav singing Si do Mhaimeo with anyone, she kills it as a solo.  Never heard Alex and Mairead sing it.  Lisa Lambe singing it has such a big personality you forget Mairead is actually there and only concentrate on Lisa.  Lynn singing it with Mairead to me is the best version ever.  They play off each other, and instead of one of them stealing the spotlight, Lynn seemed like she made it a point to pay attention to Mairead when Mairead was singing.  Mairead also stated on instagram that Lynn is one of her best friends and that definitely shows when they perform together.

The Impatient New Yorker
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2015, 04:48PM »

Alex and Mairead is the only combo I didn't hear. In my opinion, the Mairead/Lisa version was my favorite, followed by Mairead/Lynn then Meav/Mairead. Like Hollie, I think Meav kills it as a solo, so it may be my personal bias that dictated how I feel about the Mairead/Meav version

I've met Lisa L, Lynn(2x), Susan, Mairead C(2x), Mairead N (2x), Edel, Sarah, Nick, Craig, Anthony, Maggie, and Tommy
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: