Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sky, Dawn, Sun and Newgrange with Éabha!  (Read 15136 times)
Celtic Chan
Bodhrán Player

Queen Méav

« on: October 06, 2015, 08:54PM »

Someone managed to get parts of "The Sky and the Dawn and the Sun" and "Newgrange" with Éabha!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfiRQ0gGbhs

Her voice is incredible!
ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

let it carry me through darkest night

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 01:19AM »

I love those! She was fantastic in Sky Dawn Sun and very good in Newgrange, too.

However, I found that Mairéad's voice dominated Newgrange, very unlike from what Hollie said. I guess it simply depends on how fit they are that day. But since both are "able" to sing a bit louder or dominant than the other, I am sure they are also able to sing equally strong, which they did at some parts, too. I think their voices work beautifully in a duet.

Hollie

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 03:39AM »

I think I may be the only one but I don't like Eabha and Mairead's voices together, especially since hearing them live as it sounds different than on video.  They're both brilliant individually but together something just sounds off.  Eabha and Susan, I think, would duet better.

ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 04:18AM »

Hmm... well, I don't think it sounds live much different form the video. I think each performance sounds different. They are humans, after all. When you saw them, Mai C's voice was probably a bit weaker or Éabha's was stronger, and on another day it was different. I am VERY curious about what Ride On sounds like...

MarcusWongAUS
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 04:21AM »

I actually rather liked Éabha and Mairead together. I mean, you can often hear Éabha's voice fairly distinctly, but I actually think it adds to the sound. I think that they'll polish the balance throughout the tour.

26/6/10 Westfield Penrith
23/10/10 Sydney Entertainment Centre
21/12/11 Boettcher Concert Hall
18/8/12 Macquarie Centre
17/1/14 Sydney Entertainment Centre
9/2/18 Darling Harbour Theatre
ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 04:27AM »

I think Éabha's voice has a wider tone, while Mai's is more on one place at once... it's like a wide, pale and blue-ish bar, whith a thin, bright, red-ish line in it. At least that's what I see/hear...

Hollie

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 06:35AM »

Eabha's voice overpowers Mairead's, to me it just sounds like she's singing over Mairead.  Watching the videos from Brazil, when Lynn sung with Mairead, she matched her range and sang with her which made it amazing, even Lisa L did that.  Eabha has more contrast and power which she fully uses and sadly it makes it hard to hear Mairead.  Best way to say what I think is: yes, they sound decent together but their voices don't compliment one another.  Susan has the middle ground between their vocal ranges and would be more complimentary to both of their individual voices. 

ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 07:32AM »

Personally, I don't think Susan is in the middle of their voices. Her voice, is the tightest and most piercing, while Éabha's is the widest and "dullest" (not in a negative way, I just don't know a better adjective), while Mairéad is in the middle, being able to sing high and sweet and piercing, but also often using a more Celtic breathier voice. In their duet of Newgrange - or rather in the version here, not necessarily the one you've seen on stage - it's Éabha whose voice is gentle in the background, being the base, with Mai's voice singing the structure, the defined tunes. It reminds me a bit of the original acapella version of Somewhere, with Méav and Lisa singing the lines and Chloe and Órlagh singing the base.

Tiffany Gray
Honorary Roadie

I love Celtic Woman and soft sweaters.

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 11:54AM »

I actually rather liked Éabha and Mairead together. I mean, you can often hear Éabha's voice fairly distinctly, but I actually think it adds to the sound. I think that they'll polish the balance throughout the tour.

I agree 100%! I think they sound great together!

Hollie

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 01:15PM »

Shiningbright - I find Mairead's the most tightest and piercing while Susan has that soft, sweet celtic voice  Cheesy. I doubt we're going to agree on anything about their voices xD  I'm just going off the two shows I saw in Australia.  And in both shows, during Si do Mhaimeo, you could hear Eabha and Mairead perfectly when singing their solo bits but when it came to the duet part, Eabha's voice was so booming and overpowering you literally couldn't hear Mairead at all.

Starman
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 01:33PM »

Shiningbright - I find Mairead's the most tightest and piercing while Susan has that soft, sweet celtic voice  Cheesy. I doubt we're going to agree on anything about their voices xD  I'm just going off the two shows I saw in Australia.  And in both shows, during Si do Mhaimeo, you could hear Eabha and Mairead perfectly when singing their solo bits but when it came to the duet part, Eabha's voice was so booming and overpowering you literally couldn't hear Mairead at all.

Perhaps the sound man hasn't mastered the intricacies of miking Eahbha's voice.  What may have been a good level for Meav or Alex, may not necessarily be right for Eabha.  And it may vary from song-to-song.  Stay alert sound man!   Cheesy

Hollie

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 09:01PM »

It could have been the sound man but then only Si do Mhaimeo had the problem with not hearing Mairead so I doubt it was him.  I think they just could use a lot more practice singing together.  I honestly think Mairead and Eabha as duet partners is the worst choice CW has ever made (apart from letting Lynn go) and I know I'm not the only one who thinks this as at both the Sydney and Canberra shows people were commenting on it afterward.  In my opinion they should get rid of the two duets and give Mairead and Eabha a solo song each to make it two solos for everyone.

Not a very popular opinion I know I have either but I'm not one to think everything is great and amazing.

ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 01:45AM »

Personally, I would like both of them having two solos, too.

I have not seen these shows, but I really like this particular recording and I hear Mairéad by far more loudly. They are just not used to it, yet. And why do you want to get rid of both duets? We don't even know what Ride On sounds like!

rfcw
Honorary Roadie

Alex Lynn as next guest DVD, Susan LL next Castle

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 10:11AM »

Very interesting, I won't say that Orla & Mairead C would sound perfect for New grange in duet for I have no idea..
I do recommend they could have given a shot with Alex & MC it would of worked out amazing sensing I know Alex's tone with Carlin's well, just like Lynn and MC work superbly for Si Di Mh.. I am not one to judge by 1 video clip, but I agree with Hollie. The differences with Eabha vs Deirdre or Orla. Orla didn't show much of an effect with the original's Lisa K, Chloe & Meav because her blend went perfectly and in the haunting face where her voice would fade off at such when Lisa K, or Meav, and Chloe soared higher. Deirdre was a style much like Eabha..if she was back with CW this would play on too.

CW era of Only Powerhouses
This format takes the same effects as when Susan joined Lisa L & Chloe in 2011. For this time era we had three high sopranic power voices.
This changed away from the Lisa K effect or the Alex effect in 2010 still Lisa K, Lynn & Chloe together were Dreamy to hear Smiley
When Lynn stepped in 2014, she was perfect, her beautiful tone, gave breath airway, giving contrast to she was similar to Susan in ways yet unique yet could voice her voice with MC wonderfully too when knowing the fact Lynn was a softer side voice and the other 2 were stronger.
Now that they dropped from Lynn, it's back to 2011, except instead of three sopranic powerhouses, we have 1 haunting voice like Orla, the difference however a strong heard haunter.

Alex be Alex or be other's
When you see Alex, out of Meav & Lynn she is this year the closest example that they could of heard before picking Eabha to be CW.
Alex has an amazing power in her voice, she was given permission to it while taking Mairead C's place except when she took Lynn's place they asked her to remain low key like in SFTH to act in style of Lynn or Lisa L as in example to Amazing Grace or be like MC range  . The only time I got to see Alex be Alex was while the A new journey tour and Lisa's pregnancy. Since Isle Of Hope they told Alex to do Orla spot's, and now on the tenth anniversary do Lynn or Lisa L or MC spots, Meav did her raise in her way but it was like Lisa L too. Alex was able to show her power because MC was a power voice that is why for the month of May Alex got to be her and not have to lower her key..Eabha on the other hand is going strong with a haunt. This is what I never understood while everyone could be themselves Alex had to shift which I glanced it on SFTH DVD a lot. Lynn was a Meav replacement but Lynn is naturally is, if they went to replace Deirdre or Eabha for Orla it wouldn't be the same, would they tell Lisa L to tone down to Lynn or Meav's level on Dulaman like they assigned Alex to do for CW part of the time? Shocked

Meav, Lynn, Lisa L, and Chloe in the beginning years were the gentler's for CW. We don't have one now, just powerhouses.

I wish they let Alex and MC do Newgrange together so that way we would of seen the blending comparision than Eabha and MC who
are ironically opposite.><
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 10:43AM by rfcw » Logged

Down the winding road where my Caranua\'s/CW GEMS are!<br /><br /><br />[img]https://thumb.ibb.co/d0ovKv/FB_IMG_15025
rfcw
Honorary Roadie

Alex Lynn as next guest DVD, Susan LL next Castle

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2015, 12:09PM »

Eabha's Ladadadadadaa sigh  Shocked woo ow !!!

Down the winding road where my Caranua\'s/CW GEMS are!<br /><br /><br />[img]https://thumb.ibb.co/d0ovKv/FB_IMG_15025
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: