Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Fabulous Symphony Tour stop in Springfield OH 12-12-15!  (Read 4294 times)
Starman
Honorary Roadie

« on: December 13, 2015, 06:44PM »

The Christmas U. S. Symphony tour is mid-way this year. Not seeing a detailed review of the show this tour, I thought I would post a somewhat detailed review of my only Symphony Tour show this year here.  I apologize for my less-than-stellar photography, my skills for which are exceeded by practically everybody  Cheesy

Celtic Woman delighted a packed house  with their stop in Springfield OH last night.  They were accompanied by the Springfield Philharmonic in a delightful show.  Danie; C had checked to confirm that the show was sold out.

While musically, the show was much the same as last year, the change in personnel was most evident.  Gone was David Downes, who had opened the symphony tour shows with a greeting and reminiscence about the eternal music of Christmas.  He is replaced by Gavin Murphy as Musical Director.  There was no introduction so to speak. The conductor this year is Lloyd Butler.  And of course Lisa Lambe has been replaced by newest member Eabha McMahon, who essentially sang the parts sung previously by Lisa.

For those wondering whether any music from the new CD/DVD Destiny is in the program, the answer is no.  We'll have to await the Spring for that.  Instrumentalists on the tour are again pipers Tommy Martin and Anthony Byrne and percussionist Andy Reilly.

There is a stunning new wardrobe this year.  I was particularly stricken by the Santa-suit-like robes the girls donned in the first act, pictured below through the less-than-stellar photography of your Starman:  Mairead N playfully snapped hers like a towel at  Dan C and myself as she exited stage left.  Cheesy

The show opens with Carol of the Bells--the arrangement featuring the vocal harmonies and wild fiddle solo by Mairead Nesbitt which has been featured since A Celtic Christmas in 2007.

Following are I'll Be Home for Christmas sung by Eabha:

[/URL

Silent Night, White Christmas, Ding Dong Merrily on High by the group followed:

Susan sang I'll be Home for Christmas.

[URL=http://s387.photobucket.com/user/jwmann/media/2015CW/SpringfieldOH%20%20Symphony%20show121215/IMG_0782.jpg.html]

What Celtic Woman show would be complete with at Mairead Nesbitt's Butterfly?

The Little Drummer Boy featured Andy Reilly front-and-center on a drum.Santa Claus is Coming to Town, Danny Boy followed.  The climax of the first half was O Tannenbaum, featuring lyrics sung in German, Italian and English by Eabha, Mairead and Susan respectively.

The orchestra opened up after intermission with an energetic rendition of Sleigh Ride, which percussionists no doubt look forward to playing all year.  Mairead N's In the Bleak Mid-Winter  followed with it's haunting melancholy.

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas followed with some  delightful harmonies from the soloists.  Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas and then a amazingly amazing rendition of It Came Upon a Midnight Clear from Susan.

Granuaile's  Dance from Mairead drew widespread ovation and applause, as it usually does.  Eabha followed with the introspective Auld Lang Syne--sung standing rather than seated as Lisa Lambe had done.

We Three Kings followed, featuring Anthony Byrne who emerged from the rear of the auditorium playing, to the delight of many:

You Raise Me Up was introduced by Eabha rather than by Mairead N this year.  The audience was led in  O Come All Ye Faithful by the soloists.  Audience participation predictably diminished with less-familiarity with the lyrics of successive verses.  Tongue

The encore of encores came with Let It Snow, of course!

Mairead C charmed the crowd in Springfield:

Those of you in a position to do so should catch one of the tour stops, still in progress!  Smiley

« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 06:46PM by Starman » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: