Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Voice: Pure, Strong, Haunting, Beautiful  (Read 14987 times)
Naraku_Diabolos

« on: February 07, 2016, 01:17PM »

I'm saving myself by not watching the recorded presentation of Destiny, but I have listened to the tour CD. Éabha's voice is very pure, strong, quite haunting, but overall beautiful. David Downes has outdone himself yet again finding talent. My sister was like, "She sounds like Adele," and I told my sister, "Éabha sounds WAY better than Adele. Adele's voice is too raw and ragged, which is why I don't like her." That is also my opinion as well. Just how high can Éabha sing with her vocals? Are there any songs she has done that hit high notes? I know that her voice is strong and such, but I do not know if she can make it fluctuate. She's definitely my favorite next to Carlin's voice and Chloe's. Hayley is my overall favorite, but Éabha is going to take that spot for me now, hah.

[video]http://xivpads.com/?Hayley-Westenra-Excalibur[/video]

"I Made Hayley Westenra On My Online Game."
http://www.celticwomanforum.com/index.php?topic=19082.msg879933#msg879933
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 02:44PM »

Eabha  is  a  true  mezzo  soprano- which  is  not  to  say  that  she  couldn't  hit  a  higher  note  occasionally, but her  natural  range  seems  to  be  a  half  step  below  a  regular  soprano.   Of  course,  I am  partial  to  the  extra  high sopranos-  like  you  know  who ...    Grin

CelticWomanFan425
Honorary Roadie

I saw Meav perform for the 1st time on 3/10/15

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 06:22PM »

Eabha  is  a  true  mezzo  soprano- which  is  not  to  say  that  she  couldn't  hit  a  higher  note  occasionally, but her  natural  range  seems  to  be  a  half  step  below  a  regular  soprano.   Of  course,  I am  partial  to  the  extra  high sopranos-  like  you  know  who ...    Grin

no. She herself said she was an alto singer. She says that in a written interview in a newspaper.

I met David Downes,Susan McFadden, Lynn, Lisa K(2x), Eabha, Mairead N, Mairead C, Chloe(2x), Lisa Lambe(2x), Orla, Anthony Byrne & Sarah Gannon, Edel Chan Murphy, Ewan Cowley (2x) & Roisin Dempsey.
Kimberly AJ
Choir Member

Chloë Agnew will always be my VBIF forever~!

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 07:35PM »

I think she sounds related to Orla Fallon and the Brennan Sisters.

LOOK OUT! ROGUE ROBOTS!
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 07:49PM »

no. She herself said she was an alto singer. She says that in a written interview in a newspaper.
Hmmm... it was  my  understanding  that  "Alto"  and  "Mezzo-soprano"  were  equivalent  terms   ....   Undecided  ...I could  be  wrong...   Undecided 

CelticWomanFan425
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 08:56PM »

I think she sounds related to Orla Fallon and the Brennan Sisters.

you are correct, Kimberly  Wink Smiley She has a voice very similar to Orlas. Its very haunting and low and fantastic!  Smiley

I met David Downes,Susan McFadden, Lynn, Lisa K(2x), Eabha, Mairead N, Mairead C, Chloe(2x), Lisa Lambe(2x), Orla, Anthony Byrne & Sarah Gannon, Edel Chan Murphy, Ewan Cowley (2x) & Roisin Dempsey.
White Rose
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 06:45AM »

Hmmm... it was  my  understanding  that  "Alto"  and  "Mezzo-soprano"  were  equivalent  terms   ....   Undecided  ...I could  be  wrong...   Undecided 

So the technicalities! So in sheet music, when you break down the parts, a lot tend to be in SATB- soprano, alto, tenor, bass. Those parts can be broken further, commonly SSATB, so you have SATB ones and twos.

The complicated part! The alto line isn't... technically sung by altos. Plenty of people who can sing alto, as in all the notes of the part are well within range, go there. Many are mezzo sopranos, which are the lower sopranos, and then you have the contraltos, which is the lowest voice type in women. An alto is a music part, not a voice type.

I can't explain this part well, so I'll point you to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_type instead! If you go further and follow the links to the main articles on certain voice types, you will realize that yes it goes further, a lot further.

Short version, we know Eabha sings the alto part, but you'd have to know her range to figure out where to put her. I can't place her yet; I need to hear more of her.
ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

let it carry me through darkest night

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 07:19AM »

Contralto is a voice type, Alto is a part in a choir. Contralos are the rarest female voice type and usually have a very smoky type to them. When a woman sings an alto in a choir, she can be an alto, but doesn't have to, the same goes for a soprano. A woman can sing an alto part in a choir, but a soprano part as a soloist. The mezzo-soprano is the most common female voice type and between the soprano and the contralto, but closer to the soprano. I am pretty sure Éabha is a low mezzo-soprano, who has experience in singing the alto part in a choir, but not a true contralto, which is 1. very rare and has 2. a much more "gravely" sound to it.

isle of hope
Total Fanatic

Máiréad rocks!

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 11:39PM »

My sister was like, "She sounds like Adele"

This comparison baffles me because I don't think they sound anything alike.

Bring me your peace, and my wounds, they will heal.
CelticWomanFan425
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 10:47AM »

My sister was like, "She sounds like Adele"

This comparison baffles me because I don't think they sound anything alike.

look up on youtube: Eabha Mcmahon "Someone Like You" Smiley  Wink

Naraku_Diabolos

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 11:41AM »

I mean, I don't see any similarities my sister pointed out that Eabha sounds like Adele. To me, Adele sounds horrible and her voice is way too raw. Eabha has a real voice that is stirring and melodic.

[video]http://xivpads.com/?Hayley-Westenra-Excalibur[/video]

"I Made Hayley Westenra On My Online Game."
http://www.celticwomanforum.com/index.php?topic=19082.msg879933#msg879933
rfcw
Honorary Roadie

Alex Lynn as next guest DVD, Susan LL next Castle

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 09:17PM »

Well, just so you know I only started listening to Eabha with her true Destiny solo's now this year, at the same time I am not only full playing on Destiny CD but have been at the very same time on Adele 21 & 25 which I got as Christmas Presents*.  Destiny & Adele 25 are tide my car really, I switch from the 3 CD's depends by my mood. Rolling in The Deep / When You Go are the top player's.  Neither one beats or is a step higher as enjoyment. When We Were Young/ My Land & Walk Beside Me toooo EMOTIONAL

I was shocked to find out Eabha singing Rolling in The Deep. Shocked on a clip of her own.

Love ADele
Love Eabha
Love CW

Kiss

I mean, I don't see any similarities my sister pointed out that Eabha sounds like Adele. To me, Adele sounds horrible and her voice is way too raw. Eabha has a real voice that is stirring and melodic.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 09:21PM by rfcw » Logged

Down the winding road where my Caranua\'s/CW GEMS are!<br /><br /><br />[img]https://thumb.ibb.co/d0ovKv/FB_IMG_15025
rfcw
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2016, 12:30PM »

I am partial to 2 with that.  Grin

Down the winding road where my Caranua\'s/CW GEMS are!<br /><br /><br />[img]https://thumb.ibb.co/d0ovKv/FB_IMG_15025
CelticWomanFan425
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2016, 02:42PM »

Well, just so you know I only started listening to Eabha with her true Destiny solo's now this year, at the same time I am not only full playing on Destiny CD but have been at the very same time on Adele 21 & 25 which I got as Christmas Presents*.  Destiny & Adele 25 are tide my car really, I switch from the 3 CD's depends by my mood. Rolling in The Deep / When You Go are the top player's.  Neither one beats or is a step higher as enjoyment. When We Were Young/ My Land & Walk Beside Me toooo EMOTIONAL

I was shocked to find out Eabha singing Rolling in The Deep. Shocked on a clip of her own.

Love ADele
Love Eabha
Love CW

Kiss

There is no clip of Eabha singing 'Rolling In The Deep'..Only 'Someone Like You' and 'Set Fire To The Rain'. Now Sarah Gannon did 'Rolling In The Deep. and that is on Youtube, but I cant find any evidence of Eabha singing it.

rfcw
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2016, 10:25PM »

I could be wrong, I think it's Set Fire to The Rain  Wink perhaps I'll look into it. /

There is no clip of Eabha singing 'Rolling In The Deep'..Only 'Someone Like You' and 'Set Fire To The Rain'. Now Sarah Gannon did 'Rolling In The Deep. and that is on Youtube, but I cant find any evidence of Eabha singing it.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: