Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone the translation to the REAL Silent Night words  (Read 13744 times)
BlueAquaOcean

« on: February 28, 2016, 10:16PM »

So the version CW are lyrics by Enya or someone else... has anyone sang an Irish translation to the actual words
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 05:11AM »

The  original  lyrics to  Silent  Night  were  written  by  a  German poet  about  ( Mohr)  about  200  years ago. It  has  , since,  been  translated  into  many  languages  including  Irish  and  English.  Meav has  sung  Silent  Night  3  ways:  All  in  Irish  in her  Celtic Journey, All  in  English  in  HFC,  and  part  Irish,part  English  in  ACC. I  hope  this  clears  it  up  for  you.   Smiley

ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

let it carry me through darkest night

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 06:11AM »

When a song is translated into another language, some words and sentences cannot be translated directly, because they have to fit into the rhyme scheme, rythm or simply the stylistically suitable choice of words. While English and German are very similar in lenght of words, etc., but Irish is much different from either language. I assume the song was translated from German into Irish, which could make it different from the translation into English. There might also be (a) translation(s) based on the English translation, so that could make differences again.

By the way, while the language is German, it is an Austrian song. But many countries claim it as their own, really. People think it's German, American, anything really as long it's theirs Grin

Kevin R.I.
Featured Soloist

my two favorite green eyed ladies

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 05:16PM »

I used to work with someone who was married to a German lady....I met her once....she said that Austrians were "lazy Germans" Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

thanks EVI

Hi Kev, I sneeked into your account as you know, wanted to say: love you!!!!

Love, Evi.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: