Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cleveland Destiny 03/29/2016  (Read 5110 times)
barb kantartzis
Total Fanatic

« on: March 30, 2016, 12:15PM »

To start things off all I can say is wow! But I will start will a little precursor to the events of the big day... I had found out in August about the show coming to town and I immediately got in touch w a special person I have been dealing w the last 8 years or so! Then the processing for the tickets was in October which march would be right around the corner! Well In the midst of processing the tickets I had moved on my own for the first time and started tap dancing adding to the mix so it was very busy but a very good distraction! Then the holidays came and march was closer than ever! And then on top of all of this I decided why not, lets throw nursing school and a second job in the mix to! So extremely busy but my schedule w school and work and a little praying my schedule was perfect! the day before I worked and actually missed the girls on the news on my way to school! So I got home about 12. 3 I tried to roll out of bed from all the excitement and got ready! I left the apt about 410 to get my friend in Lakewood by were I tap! I was running slightly late as usual!  On my way there I called Angelo's Italian restaurant pizzeria to have our order ready since we were limited on time. I have passed this place numerous times going to tap and the lines usually around the corner, so it has to be somewhat good I figured!! It was!  then thank goodness Lakewood isn't that far off from downtown and the highway was right there! we did pretty good even w a lot of traffic and 3 exits closed! since we had to be an hour earlier than every one! we got down there and 3 parking garages were full but we found parking behind the haufbrauhaus (my favorite and recommend it to anyone in the area!!) When we got the passes we were a minute late and I was worried  but all was good! ok so m&g was running late, hmm wondered why?? oh wait because they knew we were having a fire drill and had to evacuate! I was glad it was a drill and a few minutes later we got to go in! phewww! we waited till 630 and they took us around the stage and down stairs. A few things w that is they could have been more organized. it was the palace and last time I did this they  took us to the state theatre gorgeous area etc but due to time constraints and another show going on I guess they couldn't! It was very crammed and what not! the m&g itself went great and had some great pictures!  ok show time!!
                    we took our seat in the front row! (my apologies if I get a few things out of order)The show started  off w mairead and then the girls doing when you go in there puffy dresses, which the colors of the dresses in the pictures due no justice to them live! I like their little dance to it to!
the siuil a ruin which was well done by all the girls
ride on was next Mairead c did a very good job on this and then eabha joined in. I like her a lot even though I had a few moments where I could not here her and she was extremely nervous and you could def. tell. She was shaking and could even grab her dress etc. But she was excellent after that!
Mairead did an awesome job w hills of Ireland!
The whole of the moon was next. I really liked this upbeat song and susan did a great job. I like how she has a strong loud clear voice. But was very happy during the song!
How can I keep from singing. Eabhas first solo! She nailed iit and had everyone in the audience saying how gorgeous she is too!
Anto started off and was a hit w amazing grace very lovely!
I see fire was next! WoW MC was amazing!  I love the screen in the back ground and the colors they used! very powerful
Bean phaidn was very cute! Eabha said that they learned this song in school at 5 and it was about a woman trying to get w a married man! The audience cracked up! and I loved this one because of the dancing and Ronan was tapping!!
danny boy was pretty good!
nil se'n la was always a fav and I liked there version (I don't remember but this may have been ronans song to tap in)

Intermission
My friend decided to go to the rest room and I had gotten something to drink and to buy a shirt (I cant wait to were it to tap on Monday!!) Then I went over to ronan to talk. I told him, was it you that just tapped and he was like yeah! I gave a high five and said alright buddy I am a new tapper and definitely cheer loud for ya! (my tap teacher saw the picture and absolutely loved it!) And I got a picture which the woman slightly took a video pic... it  was kind of creepy!! oh and loving the new screen behind them w all the animations and videos of Ireland which my friend I was with had been there many time and told me about each place (she actually was at the powerscourt taping of sfth!)

act 2
skyrim everyone did a good job on this
oronoca flow is always a favorite of mine to!
sometimes a prayer will do was great. Susan almost made me cry because It made me stop and think about things going on personally in my life right now.
oro se do bheatha abhaile I love misce being read before hand (the piper was a little loud on this or they could have higher mc mic a little since she is very soft to hear sometimes) and I love this song a lot they did a very good job on it especially w the uprising anniversary 100 year anniversary the day before (Yes the girls have been in Cleveland for like 4 days and easter etc so they commemorated that hear which was cool! )
ronan and the other choir member did there adele medley the had done on ellen a few days prior!  What a treat!  It was amazing!! wow!  What voices they have!!
Like an angel was next. I loved mairead softness on this it gave me and my friend chills and we definitely some presence around us during that song very moving and lots of goosebumps!!
the butterfly! We just love love love mn!! And butterflies are my favorite and the butterflies on the screen going back and forth and mn in her pink dress was cute! (her green blue one was awesome to!) but that was my fav! And when she got fast all the butterlys were flying all over the screen! I got a kick out of it!!
walk beside me was lovely and very powerful lyrics! And love there third dress wow!
westering home was one of my favorites on the cd!
teir abhaile riu was done very all and they were all having a blast on stage and playing there instruments=aI wasa for one bopping around to it!

then the finale, I did not like  that as much... I didn't get the beat of what they were playing or trying to do. usually it mo ghile play out and what not. The girl came out for 2 seconds bowed waved and left... and done till next time! It was cool though in stead of no introduction to the girls or mn doing it that they had it over the loud speaker in the theatre so it was really cool!

and not sure about time constraints or anything and an observation that made me a little mad but  we were not aloud at stage door? We were at the palace and that is the only one we are actually aloud so I don't know why there was an issue? we were the only ones standing there and we were told to go across the street, and only because he was told there was a ton of people there?? uhm no we were the only ones! oh well! Sorry for the long review but there was a lot going on and a lot in the show, which I am glad and loved the new stuff w some oldies thrown in! I had an unforgettable night and will never forget it, it was amazing!  And yes I had to be up at 7 to go to school the next morning  Undecided but I went happy and showed them all my pics which I have to print out! oh to top the sundae off w a cherry, nothing getting ready for school and about to leave and see them posting a video from the ending last night and my friend and I are in it! I was sooo excited! and just like micheals pictures a few years ago that will be something I forever will remember!! (I'm in a celtic woman video, ahhhh!) who'd of thought!!??

« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 01:05PM by barb kantartzis » Logged

I I I I hear your voice on the wind, and I I I I hear you call out my name, listen my child you say to me I am the voice of your history be not afraid come follow me answer my call and i'll set you frrreeeee!!!!!!!
barb kantartzis
Total Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 02:01PM »

Oh and they took out the guys doing the dance tap solo thing w Ray fean I think it was replaced by Ronan and Glenn! ( ps the girls mate still in town!!)

I I I I hear your voice on the wind, and I I I I hear you call out my name, listen my child you say to me I am the voice of your history be not afraid come follow me answer my call and i'll set you frrreeeee!!!!!!!
The Impatient New Yorker
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 04:51PM »

Are the choir members selling merchandise during intermission or are they just mingling?

I've met Lisa L, Lynn(2x), Susan, Mairead C(2x), Mairead N (2x), Edel, Sarah, Nick, Craig, Anthony, Maggie, and Tommy
barb kantartzis
Total Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 06:56PM »

Are the choir members selling merchandise during intermission or are they just mingling?
ronan was out there before the show and during intermission selling the books. That's how I got a pic w him and talked to him!

jamaica23

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 12:23PM »

aw shoot, i totally didn't know that.
The Impatient New Yorker
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 12:38PM »

Ahh, that's good to know. Thank you!

I've met Lisa L, Lynn(2x), Susan, Mairead C(2x), Mairead N (2x), Edel, Sarah, Nick, Craig, Anthony, Maggie, and Tommy
barb kantartzis
Total Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 03:15PM »

Your welcome guys! Have fun at the shows!!

dbbii

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 07:57AM »

I too was at the Cleveland show.  Since I could combine a CW show with some family obligations, I decided a 1200 mile drive (each way) was doable. 

Stayed at the Wyndham across the street from the venue.  No big parking hassle (OK, you have to valet), but they do have a decent happy hour, which works out when you have be at venue at 6:00 to pick up your M& G tickets.

Based on Starman's earlier review, I was hoping the M&G would be fan friendly again.  WRONG.  I'm getting the impression that the only reason they do a M&G is because of a contract requirement with PBS.  Going back a number of years, it seemed as if the girls enjoyed meeting their fans.  Now, I get the impression that they are only doing this because they are required to do it.  Is it the girls or is it the production company? 

Part of the issue here, I think, was the number of people at the M&G.  Since there are two PBS stations, there were a lot of people.  That probably had something to do with the rushed meeting.  I can probably count on one hand the number of shows where we had a "nice" M&G.  Part of my definition of nice is where it's held.  (who remembers Akron's stairwell?)  As Barb noted, it was in a hallway.

I don't always (OK, never) stick my pass onto my jacket.  One, I don't like it in the picture and two, I'm going to try for a sneak and greet next month. OMG, at least 3 people (and I believe they were with the venue) insisted that my pass be affixed to my jacket.  Overall, I'm really questioning why I'm paying to be treated rudely.  One of my shows in April, I bought 2nd row seats from Ticketmonster.  I'm willing to pay the extra bucks to PBS (hey, it's a tax deduction), but now I'm doing it for the seats more than the M&G.  It's just not that special anymore.

On to the show.  I was in the second row, center.  The stop line was way back from the edge of the stage, however, in a lot of cases, the girls were in front of it.  This caused some lighting issues. 

I'm not a fan of the video screen, nor the piano being in the middle of the stage.  It's too distracting.

Only real sound issue I had was on the "song" where they were reading about the Irish uprising.  It was difficult to hear the reading over the background music.  (Semi-related:  I was really looking foward to seeing Lisa Lambe in the Bloody Irish on Broadway.  Too bad it got canceled, although it did "save" me a lot of money!)

Another interesting thing was the venue had two "security" guys sitting at each aisle in front of the stage.  OK, I expect that at a Cleveland Browns game (Dawg Pound), but at a concert? 

I have mixed feelings about the show itself.  This is different than other shows.  The songs are matched extremely well to the girls -- I just don't know that I like the overall flow.  I do miss some of the "bigger" numbers.  Way less interaction with the audience.  It's now a concert, not a "show".  Is that bad?  No, it's just different.

Hard to hear any big difference due to the changes in the band.  I kinda like the male choir.  It adds a deeper, fuller sound.  And wow, a female percussionist!  It did not appear that any of the band was mic'd for singing. 

All in all, a pleasant evening.  Was it worth the wear and tear on me?  I'd initally say no, except for some family obligations.  Will I ever do 7 or 8 shows again in one year all over the place?  No.  I have 2 more shows here in Florida, but I can drive to both. 

barb kantartzis
Total Fanatic

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 01:22PM »

nicely written! Yes I felt that is was rushed. we were close to the front for the m&g and it  was no problem!  But I am very Closter phobic and it did bother me room wise for a minute and I tried to run upstairs and side stage to our seat as quick as I could. My friend and I agreed that I did not lie putting our stuff on a table out of reach even though I had 1 m&g that was like that w a lot more room and less people back stage and didn't like leaving my stuff (it was at the state but it was occupied the other night) and too many people this time. and the first one yes I hid my sticker and great pics and ken held my stuff as I met the girls for the first time (Sorry he was holding my purse and jacket, suited him well though!! j/k!  Wink Tongue but yeah the orange stickers could have been w/o even though we were a minute late :/ and there was absolutely no reason that there was a fire drill and everyone had to evacuate, she told us to go across the street and we all said NO! That was ridiculous and delayed everything w m&g and the show (it did end on time so kudos to them)! And Loved the new music it was very fresh and appropriate for the day after the 100th anniversary! the dresses and screen made the show too on top of the girls did fantastic! I would have not went if it was the same old itinerary though after seeing it 3-4 years in a row, so going into something new was great! Thought I would absolutely hate or ignore the slower songs but, it they were beyond amazing and my friend and I loved them and talked about it all the way home how it gave a weird feeling over us! ok hope you had a safe 20 hour drive back and enjoyed the show! Yes I was mad about stage door especially the guy telling people to move on due to being told hundreds were waiting (it was me and my friend standing for a moment?) he felt bad a after telling us to go across the street and was thankful (yes I am short but my friend in kind of intimidating at 6 foot tall!!) but coolest thing was next morning getting ready for school I saw my friend and I on there video! I was so excited and thought that was the coolest thing I got 1 minute of fame!! And the girls were still in town!!

barb kantartzis
Total Fanatic

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2016, 07:21PM »

Oh and forgot, yes w the stickers, I do not like them and it ruins the picture that you paid good money to take and meet the girls! W Celtic Thunder which was smart even though I won't see them in August due to it being the same show/ music (will not do that after seeing same cw show for last couple time till now, which was awesome!). After the show everyone met in front of the stage and Rachel (yes that Rachel from cw)  gave us wrist bands. It made it so much easier and better pics! Plus m&g was before but we did a vip thing for $75 and it was a blast, talked w the guys did games (will make your sides hurt from laughing for an hour!) and got stuff , free bracelet cup holder , program signed (coolest thing) and what not! The pics I got were priceless from the time they came down! I wish the girls would do that or have a standard thing across the board for both groups to be fair!)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: