Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Columbia Review  (Read 3761 times)
White Rose
Honorary Roadie

« on: April 19, 2016, 08:50PM »

Home from tonight's Columbia show. I might do a full review later, but I've had a pretty long day.

Mairead N: Our flying pixie was, as always, an energetic blast. Always fun to watch.

Eabha: She seemed to be nervous at the beginning, but by the time she sang How Can I Keep From Singing, she had found her groove. If you've read some of my earlier posts, there is a particular something that I absolutely love about her voice.

Susan had a great night tonight. This was by far her best night of the shows I've seen her in. She was definitely in her element during The Whole of the Moon. She danced a lot during it, and her experience with musicals was quite obvious.

Mairead C was good. Not as good as she was the last time I saw her. It just wasn't her best night tonight for some reason. She messed up in the first verse of I See Fire, but recovered well. It happens.

Having the all male choir was different. It made Skyrim pretty cool, and made Orinoco Flow sound very different.

From the venue perspective, the Koger Center is a pretty good place to see any show. I was in the balcony, so I couldn't see the screen on the stage. However, the lighting on the floor was pretty fun to watch.
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 09:14PM »

Cool  !  look  forward  to more.   Smiley

White Rose
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 06:22AM »

So, last night was fun! I took my dad, and we did the smart thing of going downtown and finding a parking spot early. We had to walk a bit to the Koger Center, but it sure did make it easy to get out of downtown! I didn't bother taking pics, since I knew I wouldn't enjoy the show as much if I spent time trying to get good pictures. I'm pretty sure I got the order right, but I might have messed up somewhere.

When You Go started it off, followed by Siul a Ruin. I still love the last bit of Siul a Ruin with the harmonies.

Ride On came next. Eabha was a little bit shaky to begin with, but she and Mairead kicked butt once initial nerves were dealt with.

Then Mairead played Hills of Ireland.

Next came The Whole of the Moon. This song was the most choreographed of all of them, and Susan was able to show off her musical theater background. She was clearly having a blast.

Eabha sang How Can I Keep From Singing. She nailed it. This was the only song the entire night where most of the audience didn't clap immediately afterwards, which meant that the chord died after she stopped singing and before the clapping started. It was AWESOME!

Amazing Grace was next. There's a clear reason why they've kept this song, as everyone loves it. The only problem I had with it was that the audience started clapping and cheering 4-5 measures before the girls stopped singing, which just irritates me. Let them finish the song first.

Mairead then sang I See Fire. She messed up quite obviously in the first verse, but recovered well. Watching the lights on the floor was fun for this song. 

Eabha came out and introduced the story of Bean Phaidin and said they've all known it since they were five. The entertainment of plenty of celtic music where it sounds like a really nice song until you look up the translation. Everyone seemed to be having fun performing this one, and the audience loved it .

Danny Boy was next and good.

They ended the first half with Westering Home.

Skyrim started the second half. It was fun. I told my dad that it was from a video game after the song finished.

Orinoco Flow was next. It was really different to me because of the differences in the choir.

Susan sang Sometimes a Prayer Will Do. She was wonderful.

Eabha and Mairead C came out and recited the poem Woman of Ireland, and then Mairead N. played it.

We had a small Irish history lesson, leading into Oro Se Do Bheatha Abhaile. I was wondering how they were going to be changing it for the concerts, and everybody got a solo. 

The Adele Medley was next. Mairead C introduced it, and the guys started. The *only* problem I had with it was that it would have been an excellent surprise. Unfortunately, I knew it was going to happen before last night.

Like an Angel came next, and I knew the show was drawing to a close.

Mairead N played The Butterfly. It was the arrangement from the original show.

Eabha started off Walk Beside Me, and the rest joined in.

The amped up, newly arranged TAR finished the show.

So here's a little tip, always make sure to copy your review before you hit the post button! I took too long writing it and got logged out, but I had copied it first.
mattycakes
Honorary Roadie

Oh you have made me very angry, very angry indeed!

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 08:35AM »

Wait... they changed the setlist again?! Kinda disappointed that Westering Home ends the first act and not the whole show! Nil was a great Act 1 close!
White Rose
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 09:39AM »

No Nil Sen La at all. I was surprised Westering Home didn't end the show.
dbbii

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 11:46AM »

The only so I was at so far this year ended with Westering Home.  I like the song, but it's not an end of show song.  Using it to end the first half is fine, but you need something big at the end.  My favorite is still The Parting Glass.

White Rose
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 11:51AM »

It's such an end of the night song though. But I do agree, they need to end it with something big. But then, Walk Beside Me is a good song to have near the end.

So, another thing I didn't mention earlier. I've seen ANJ, IOH, Believe, and Emerald live before this. Destiny is the first of them that actually felt far more like a concert instead of a show, which is something I like for the better.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: