Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Voices Of Angels Review  (Read 4372 times)
mattycakes
Honorary Roadie

Oh you have made me very angry, very angry indeed!

« on: November 19, 2016, 11:14AM »

Okay guys! I'm about to review the album! Now! Please be aware that this is the Target-Exclusive version which has some extra songs. Also, remember that this is purely my opinion. Don't strike me down or stone me please!

My Heart Will Go On - Not a bad start to this CD at all! I love this song and the girls sang it so beautifully. You could really hear Susan belting towards the climax and the other girls complemented her beautifully. I still think it would've been better as a Susan solo though. 4/5

Isle Of Hope, Isle Of Tears - A truly beautiful song sung beautifully by Eabha. The orchestration on this song is so beautiful! My only complaint is that towards the climax, Eabha's vocals got a little drowned out by the orchestration. 4/5

As She Moved Through The Fair - Here we have my first truly mixed reaction. The music on this song is wonderful and complements Susan's voice. The problem is, it's not what I would consider a Susan song. I see her as more of a belted and a theatrical performer. This had neither of those. Also, I really missed the choir vocalizations that the previous versions had. 3/5

Mo Ghile Mear (My Gallant Star) - Okay guys. There's just no getting around this fact... I DESPISED this version! Now let me explain myself. The music itself and the girls are wonderful. And the song itself is rather catchy. But here it is: Mo Ghile Mear was the first CW song I ever heard. It was the song that made me fall in love with them. It will forever be my favorite. So therefore, in my mind, changing it is blasphemous. Also, this version doesn't have the super powerful climax that I loved in the song. 1/5

Ave Maria - Oh Mairead my love! You were so gorgeous on this song! Gounard's Ave has never been more perfect. Her classical style combined with that swirling orchestra was just magic! She has now tied with Chloe's Schubert. 5/5

For The Love Of A Princess - This was another beautiful song. Tara breathed emotion into the swirling orchestration in a way that I don't think any of Mairead Nesbitt's slow songs, save for Lost Rose Fantasia, ever did. The addition of the choral vocalising added even more depth. 5/5

Time To Say Goodbye - Here is one of my favorites! I loved it since I first heard it! Mairead soared into her opera range supported on the wings of her fellow vocaslists and the grace of the music. Susan was also wonderful here. Eabha offered a wonderful contrast to Mairead's soaring soprano notes with her alto notes. Beautiful! 5/5

Dulaman - Okay. So! Once again, I know I'm in the minority, but Meav's version of this has always been my least favorite. To me, until Lisa Lambs breathed life into this tired song during SFTH, I was done with it. Her Emerald version only further solidified that feeling. This version was nicely done and the music was fantastic, but this song has been done by CW so much to the point that I'm done with it. 1/5

Walk Beside Me - Here we have my favorite solo from Destiny. Eabha started this song like her solo version from Destiny but with a little more power to her vocals to accompany the stronger orchestration. *insert contented sigh* But oh! What's this?! Mairead and Susan join in earlier in the second verse?! Eh.... This was Eabha's signature song! And Mairead and Susan joining for the final chorus was a beautiful moment that showed comraderie with the (then) newest member. I loved the original. This one? The music is wonderful, but I wish they'd left it as an Eabha solo. 4/5

O, America - This is one of those hit-and-miss songs for me. Always has been. This version, with the swelling of the orchestra and the beautiful vocals, truly helped it to shine. The lack of the brass is only barely noticeable due to being mostly replaced by the uilean pipes. 4/5

A Time For Us - What a beautiful song with a wave of emotional context delivered by Mairead and Tara! Mairead shone once again on this song. Perhaps all of our words about disappointment with regards to her Destiny solos was heard? Regardless, beautiful song. 5/5

Across The World - I. Loved. This. SONG!!! It was such a fun number! Tara was a whirling dervish on her violin! The orchestra complemented her playing perfectly. 5/5

Teir Abhaile Riu - This song I have mixed feelings for. Firstly, the CD version jumps right into the singing. There's no spoon, whistle, and accordion solos. That sucked. Plus I never felt this version came anywhere close to the original in terms of fun times. 3/5

Amazing Grace - No. Just no! The old version of this song needs to return! This new version lacks the power and the vocal arrangement of the old one! Plus at the climax, when Chloe and later Mairead belted out, they turned it into a quieter, choir part. Ugh... *bangs head into wall* This is just no bueno. 1/5

You Raise Me Up - Coming up after the last one had me scared, I'll admit. But I needn't have worried. While the violin solo was more subdued, the crescendo was wonderful. The solos were switched up a bit too. Eabha, then Susan, then Mairead on the chorus. Best part was thast the second, slightly higher chorus, was given to Eabha. It gave her an opportunity to show more range, which I loved. My only complaint is the lack of the second verse (a la SFTH) and the fact that, like Dulaman and Amazing Grace, it's overdone by CW. So.... 4/5

Danby Boy - I love this version. The orchestration is very subdued but adds a wonderful layer to the song. Mairead, Susan, and Eabha harmonized perfectly. I do wish Mairead had gone as high as Meav during the Anniversary Tour for that end note though. If she did, it was hard to hear. 4/5

Nil Sen La - This one was completely unexpected but freaking awesome! The girls sang the verses in English with the chorus we know and love. I loved the arrangement and the, as per usual, fast and fun pace of this song. THIS is the way they should've done TAR. 5/5

Overall 4/5

Final thoughts? All of the new songs were amazing! Some of the revamps were not. Why try to change an already good thing? And some of those songs have been done so many times that that very fact made me cringe somewhat listening to them. But please! Remove that awful version of Amazing Grace and try How Great Thou Art instead.

Favorite VOA Track: Nil Sen La (I hope they bring back the Ceili dresses and perform this one!
Least Favorite VOA Track: Mo Ghile Mear (please see above)

Okay guys! I'm done for now! Mostly cuz I don't do Christmas songs until after Thanksgiving. I'll review those three songs next week!
CWazyTom
Honorary Roadie

One CWazy Canadian! Chlovër for life!

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 01:40PM »

Okay guys! I'm about to review the album! Now! Please be aware that this is the Target-Exclusive version which has some extra songs. Also, remember that this is purely my opinion. Don't strike me down or stone me please!

My Heart Will Go On - Not a bad start to this CD at all! I love this song and the girls sang it so beautifully. You could really hear Susan belting towards the climax and the other girls complemented her beautifully. I still think it would've been better as a Susan solo though. 4/5

Isle Of Hope, Isle Of Tears - A truly beautiful song sung beautifully by Eabha. The orchestration on this song is so beautiful! My only complaint is that towards the climax, Eabha's vocals got a little drowned out by the orchestration. 4/5

As She Moved Through The Fair - Here we have my first truly mixed reaction. The music on this song is wonderful and complements Susan's voice. The problem is, it's not what I would consider a Susan song. I see her as more of a belted and a theatrical performer. This had neither of those. Also, I really missed the choir vocalizations that the previous versions had. 3/5

Mo Ghile Mear (My Gallant Star) - Okay guys. There's just no getting around this fact... I DESPISED this version! Now let me explain myself. The music itself and the girls are wonderful. And the song itself is rather catchy. But here it is: Mo Ghile Mear was the first CW song I ever heard. It was the song that made me fall in love with them. It will forever be my favorite. So therefore, in my mind, changing it is blasphemous. Also, this version doesn't have the super powerful climax that I loved in the song. 1/5

Ave Maria - Oh Mairead my love! You were so gorgeous on this song! Gounard's Ave has never been more perfect. Her classical style combined with that swirling orchestra was just magic! She has now tied with Chloe's Schubert. 5/5

For The Love Of A Princess - This was another beautiful song. Tara breathed emotion into the swirling orchestration in a way that I don't think any of Mairead Nesbitt's slow songs, save for Lost Rose Fantasia, ever did. The addition of the choral vocalising added even more depth. 5/5

Time To Say Goodbye - Here is one of my favorites! I loved it since I first heard it! Mairead soared into her opera range supported on the wings of her fellow vocaslists and the grace of the music. Susan was also wonderful here. Eabha offered a wonderful contrast to Mairead's soaring soprano notes with her alto notes. Beautiful! 5/5

Dulaman - Okay. So! Once again, I know I'm in the minority, but Meav's version of this has always been my least favorite. To me, until Lisa Lambs breathed life into this tired song during SFTH, I was done with it. Her Emerald version only further solidified that feeling. This version was nicely done and the music was fantastic, but this song has been done by CW so much to the point that I'm done with it. 1/5

Walk Beside Me - Here we have my favorite solo from Destiny. Eabha started this song like her solo version from Destiny but with a little more power to her vocals to accompany the stronger orchestration. *insert contented sigh* But oh! What's this?! Mairead and Susan join in earlier in the second verse?! Eh.... This was Eabha's signature song! And Mairead and Susan joining for the final chorus was a beautiful moment that showed comraderie with the (then) newest member. I loved the original. This one? The music is wonderful, but I wish they'd left it as an Eabha solo. 4/5

O, America - This is one of those hit-and-miss songs for me. Always has been. This version, with the swelling of the orchestra and the beautiful vocals, truly helped it to shine. The lack of the brass is only barely noticeable due to being mostly replaced by the uilean pipes. 4/5

A Time For Us - What a beautiful song with a wave of emotional context delivered by Mairead and Tara! Mairead shone once again on this song. Perhaps all of our words about disappointment with regards to her Destiny solos was heard? Regardless, beautiful song. 5/5

Across The World - I. Loved. This. SONG!!! It was such a fun number! Tara was a whirling dervish on her violin! The orchestra complemented her playing perfectly. 5/5

Teir Abhaile Riu - This song I have mixed feelings for. Firstly, the CD version jumps right into the singing. There's no spoon, whistle, and accordion solos. That sucked. Plus I never felt this version came anywhere close to the original in terms of fun times. 3/5

Amazing Grace - No. Just no! The old version of this song needs to return! This new version lacks the power and the vocal arrangement of the old one! Plus at the climax, when Chloe and later Mairead belted out, they turned it into a quieter, choir part. Ugh... *bangs head into wall* This is just no bueno. 1/5

You Raise Me Up - Coming up after the last one had me scared, I'll admit. But I needn't have worried. While the violin solo was more subdued, the crescendo was wonderful. The solos were switched up a bit too. Eabha, then Susan, then Mairead on the chorus. Best part was thast the second, slightly higher chorus, was given to Eabha. It gave her an opportunity to show more range, which I loved. My only complaint is the lack of the second verse (a la SFTH) and the fact that, like Dulaman and Amazing Grace, it's overdone by CW. So.... 4/5

Danby Boy - I love this version. The orchestration is very subdued but adds a wonderful layer to the song. Mairead, Susan, and Eabha harmonized perfectly. I do wish Mairead had gone as high as Meav during the Anniversary Tour for that end note though. If she did, it was hard to hear. 4/5

Nil Sen La - This one was completely unexpected but freaking awesome! The girls sang the verses in English with the chorus we know and love. I loved the arrangement and the, as per usual, fast and fun pace of this song. THIS is the way they should've done TAR. 5/5

Overall 4/5

Final thoughts? All of the new songs were amazing! Some of the revamps were not. Why try to change an already good thing? And some of those songs have been done so many times that that very fact made me cringe somewhat listening to them. But please! Remove that awful version of Amazing Grace and try How Great Thou Art instead.

Favorite VOA Track: Nil Sen La (I hope they bring back the Ceili dresses and perform this one!
Least Favorite VOA Track: Mo Ghile Mear (please see above)

Okay guys! I'm done for now! Mostly cuz I don't do Christmas songs until after Thanksgiving. I'll review those three songs next week!

I like the way you did your review.  Smiley

I do feel differently about Mo Ghile Mear and Dulaman. Personally, I enjoyed those even more than the originals.

As She Moved Through the Fair, I agree it underutilized Susan's skillset. I did REALLY enjoy the bridges near the middle and end of the song with Susan humming. Those parts were unexpected and exceedingly pleasant.

I can't yet comment on the last 4 tracks since I'm waiting for my CD and have to wait a bit longer after that until I can make a trip to Target while I'm in the US.

Tara Forum (@TaraMcNeilForum)
http://www.taramcneillforum.com/
https://www.facebook.com/TaraMcNeillForum/

CaraNua Fans (@CaraNuaFans)

Candy Canadiana (@candycanfans)
https://www.facebook.com/CandyCanFans
rfcw
Honorary Roadie

Alex Lynn as next guest DVD, Susan LL next Castle

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 03:31PM »

Can you explain the brass differences in o America.
I don't even know what a brass is?

Well I am like Tom & mattycakes

CwazyTom similarness
Most favorite: Dulaman, Mo Guile Mear, O America

Mattycakes similarness
Walk Beside Me (Susan & MC killed the solo parts Eabhas famous song torn a-parat in Parts)

She Moved Thrust The Fair should of been The Blessing in orchestra to top Susan.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 04:03PM by rfcw » Logged

Down the winding road where my Caranua\'s/CW GEMS are!<br /><br /><br />[img]https://thumb.ibb.co/d0ovKv/FB_IMG_15025
mattycakes
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 04:35PM »

Can you explain the brass differences in o America.
I don't even know what a brass is?

Brass is a section of orchestra. It encompasses the horn-instruments such as trumpets, trombones, French horn, tuba, etc. In the original O America, there were a few trumpet solos that have now been given to the uilean pipes. That gives it a lovely Celtic vibe, but takes away a little bit of the power that only the Brass section can bring.
CWazyTom
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 10:36PM »

Having listened to this album a bunch of times now...

I still LOVE it!

I do agree that at times the orchestra is so strong that it starts to drown out their voices and Tara a bit (especially in Walk Beside Me). I suppose that's to be expected from a 72-piece orchestra. But that said, it sounds fantastic and the girls were still in spotlight (even though the orchestra was encroaching on them from time to time from the shadows).

rfcw
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 09:39AM »

My Exclusive (1st Take in Hand Review)
Spoiler below

2/2 review after mattycakes!

rfcw review:

Danny Boy *- a great change version from SFTH breathtaking rendition, although I will Always favor The Tenth Anniv & SFTH as the Best Version of that song. The Subdued Harp beamic background instrumental gives this song sleep lullaby joyness a far different approach as done in the past as emotioned as in memoiresc! The rise at the end is my only favorite for this one. 4/5

Amazing Grace * - I finger tighted in belief what would come from this one after O America. This song fast fwd swooped in and out thru all the parts. Susan had a lead but no Meav unfortunately. I am glad now Meav took O America since she would turn out singing so much more raw emotion than she be if she picked Amazing Grace instead, I'm satisfied with her pick since this is not the Amazing Grace I love dearly so.. 3/5

You Raise Me Up * - great, not surprising as others. This group has exceeded the amount of versions of this song as Anybody else or other group has! 2.5/5

Nil Sen La * - I love it keeps the song as it's predecessor cocontrast to with TAR. The vocals though with the translations sound a bit too sweetness if you know what I mean, tea time at Cinderella's girls gather slumber partyish*.
The orchestration stays true to Nil Sen La however.
I guess time could change my feelings to this one, who knows by Christmas it may be a favorite I've only heard these 4 songs once so far! 2/5
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 09:45AM by rfcw » Logged

Down the winding road where my Caranua\'s/CW GEMS are!<br /><br /><br />[img]https://thumb.ibb.co/d0ovKv/FB_IMG_15025
CWazyTom
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 08:30PM »

My Exclusive (1st Take in Hand Review)
Spoiler below

2/2 review after mattycakes!

rfcw review:

Danny Boy *- a great change version from SFTH breathtaking rendition, although I will Always favor The Tenth Anniv & SFTH as the Best Version of that song. The Subdued Harp beamic background instrumental gives this song sleep lullaby joyness a far different approach as done in the past as emotioned as in memoiresc! The rise at the end is my only favorite for this one. 4/5

Amazing Grace * - I finger tighted in belief what would come from this one after O America. This song fast fwd swooped in and out thru all the parts. Susan had a lead but no Meav unfortunately. I am glad now Meav took O America since she would turn out singing so much more raw emotion than she be if she picked Amazing Grace instead, I'm satisfied with her pick since this is not the Amazing Grace I love dearly so.. 3/5

You Raise Me Up * - great, not surprising as others. This group has exceeded the amount of versions of this song as Anybody else or other group has! 2.5/5

Nil Sen La * - I love it keeps the song as it's predecessor cocontrast to with TAR. The vocals though with the translations sound a bit too sweetness if you know what I mean, tea time at Cinderella's girls gather slumber partyish*.
The orchestration stays true to Nil Sen La however.
I guess time could change my feelings to this one, who knows by Christmas it may be a favorite I've only heard these 4 songs once so far! 2/5

Hmm... not particularly encouraging for me to go out of my way to Target to hear the extra two songs. I still might. As traumatized as I was by Amazing Grace and You Raise Me Up, I feel like I have to give the other two songs a chance. And now that I've gotten most of the shock out of my system from last night's first listen to Amazing Grace and YRMU, I think the other two songs from the Target version will be less of a blow even if I don't like them as much as the rest of the album.

rfcw
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2016, 06:37PM »

Are you announcing news that Amazing Grace & You Raise Me Up weren't the Target exclusives but instead Nil Send La & Danny Boy are the ones.? I'm sure you'll enjoy them contrast to the first 2. Nil Send La is great swell, its the English lyrics and the singing anxiously that's catchy bit fiddle thum but Danny Boy is sweet and cute like a lullaby this time.

Quote from: CWazyTom link=topic=21296.msg1027478#msg1027478 date=147995 Smiley Wink
[/quote

Hmm... not particularly encouraging for me to go out of my way to Target to hear the extra two songs. I still might. As traumatized as I was by Amazing Grace and You Raise Me Up, I feel like I have to give the other two songs a chance. And now that I've gotten most of the shock out of my system from last night's first listen to Amazing Grace and YRMU, I think the other two songs from the Target version will be less of a blow even if I don't like them as much as the rest of the album.

CWazyTom
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 07:47PM »

Níl Sé'n Lá and Danny Boy are the two Target ones I haven't heard.

Thanks for your encouraging assessment.

I'm still a little nervous, but I definitely have to get them.

Are you announcing news that Amazing Grace & You Raise Me Up weren't the Target exclusives but instead Nil Send La & Danny Boy are the ones.? I'm sure you'll enjoy them contrast to the first 2. Nil Send La is great swell, its the English lyrics and the singing anxiously that's catchy bit fiddle thum but Danny Boy is sweet and cute like a lullaby this time.

Quote from: CWazyTom link=topic=21296.msg1027478#msg1027478 date=147995 Smiley Wink
[/quote

mattycakes
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2016, 05:43PM »

Okay guys! Now that the CD has had some time to be replayed, I'd like to change a few things in my review...

Mo Ghile Mear: I'm gonna say this: I still prefer the more powerful climax of the old version of this song, but otherwise this one is becoming one of most replayed off the album! So I'm changing its score cuz I love it but I do still wish it had the same oomph as the old one at the end. 4/5

Also gonna change least favorite to Amazing Grace. It is by far the WORST song on the album!
CWazyTom
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2016, 06:23PM »

Okay guys! Now that the CD has had some time to be replayed, I'd like to change a few things in my review...

Mo Ghile Mear: I'm gonna say this: I still prefer the more powerful climax of the old version of this song, but otherwise this one is becoming one of most replayed off the album! So I'm changing its score cuz I love it but I do still wish it had the same oomph as the old one at the end. 4/5

Also gonna change least favorite to Amazing Grace. It is by far the WORST song on the album!

I agree.

I love the new Mo Ghile Mear. It's so fun! Yes, the climax is a little less spectacular, but I still REALLY like it.

Amazing Grace: It's still my least favourite as well. Most of the people that have visited the forums in the last two weeks have read about my near-epic freak-out after hearing that song. I don't dislike it as much now as I did initially, but it took several plays and then almost a week of not listening to Voices of Angels to get over my initial shock. I've mostly gotten over that and it's honestly kind of pretty. But I agree that the other songs are better and the classic CW Amazing Grace remains my preferred version. I mean this version is really nice ... the the classic CW was spectacular ... breathtaking beyond description.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: