Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VOA Tour Reviews  (Read 6404 times)
Celtic4life

« on: February 25, 2017, 09:01PM »

Could someone please review the first concert!!!

This year I have tickets to the second show on tour. They usually perform at a close venue later in the tour or towards the end. I always like to read reviews and get an idea what to look forward to before I see them. It's interesting this time because watching them this early on tour I have no idea what their outfits look like and what the set list consist of.

So I like to ask if someone attends the first concert on March 2nd, could you publish a review so I can get excited and aware what's to come on March 3rd at Bob Carr Theater in Orlando, FL!!!

I've also started this thread so everyone can post their reviews of the whole tour!! I can't wait to read them all throughout the tour!!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 08:31PM by Celtic4life » Logged
dbbii

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 12:09PM »

I am going to tonight's show.  Depending on how late it goes, I'll see if I can post something.

If my memory serves, this is my 4th show at Lakeland.  Don't have my list with me, but I know one show was the first show Lisa L did.  It was also here where I got "inducted" into Lisa's Navy.  Aww for the days when PBS had good tickets!!

Celtic4life

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 08:32PM »

Thank you!! I know I'm not going to get any sleep tonight I'm so excited for this tour!!!
mattycakes
Honorary Roadie

Oh you have made me very angry, very angry indeed!

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 08:32AM »

Any ideas of the setlist guys?!?! My show's not until end of April and I'm DYING!!!!
Celtic4life

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 12:50AM »

Orlando, FL
Bob Carr
3/3/2017

Act 1
1) Mo Ghile Mear (All)
Starting off the concert was not what I expected. There was a long time from when the lights dimmed for the keyboard to start. The song started with drums beating. Then we see the video screen fold out wings on stage with the Celtic Woman logo. Then the pipes start playing a nice intro. The girls slowly come on stage and starts the song. They are wearing the gowns similar to their promo pictures. Only difference is Mairead is wearing a blue trumpet style like dress instead of dark purple, and Tara has a ankle length green dress. Choir comes out and notice a new face has joined the choir.

2) My Heart Will Go On (All)
Susan introduced this song. This is a lovely version. I saw in their actions and movements that they really felt this song and gave it their all.

3) Dulaman (Mairead)
I bet Mairead has been waiting to do this song for a long time. I remember a video surfacing couple years back of her singing this song. I believe every member who sings this song has added their own style to it. Of course this is the arrangement Meav sang on the CD. Mairead did great singing and adding some dramatic dance into this. Loved how the choir picked her up off the platform and brought her down stage.

4) Isle of Hope (Eabha)
Eabha voice sounds amazing when she sings this song.

5) Amazing Grace (All)
When this song started first thought I had was "At the top of the show?" Usually they have this at the end of Act 1 or beginning of Act 2. There was no stairs for Anthony to go on stage so he stayed in the corner. Susan of course had the first line, they have church windows as a back drop on the screens above the stage.

6) Across The World (Tara)
The stage started off dark, then all of a sudden we see Tara appear on stage on one of the platforms. She moves around on this song from one side of the stage to another. One thing I like about Tara is that she does not try to be like Mairead N. she brings her own personality and techniques to the stage. Tara did not run around but she did put a lot emotion into her playing.

7) She Moved Through The Fair (Susan)
Now when Susan came out on stage she was wearing to what looked like a nice robe. Then it clicked, these are the new Ceili dresses. Then I started to wonder what song is next. She started singing "She Moved Through The Fair." First I was comfused with the gown and song. Once the she finished singing the first line she started to dance on stage. That's when I realized she has changed into something that she can move around the stage easily. Then one of the choir members came out and started to dance with her. I love the choreography they added to this song. It actually tells a story. I definitely want to see this again so hopefully it'll be on the DVD.

8)Tir Na Nog (All)
I was shocked when they sung this song. First Eabha and Mairead joined Susan after the previous song wearing the same gowns Susan was wearing. Only difference was the colors. What I can tell Mairead was a lavendar color, Susan was a mint, and Eabha was a choral blue. There was some trouble at the beginning with the sound track and the mic on the flute. It looked like it went to their inner ears but not out into the theater. Then once the flute got into the song the track came through. The girls never lost a beat, they were doing the choreography and I saw them looking at each other smiling. Mairead and Susan shared the lead. Eabha of course had her solo part in the end of the song. There was similar choreography as it was on Destiny DVD. There just seemed to be something missing, like a voice. I could hear all the individual harmony parts but something seemed off. They did add dancers unlike what they did on the DVD.

9) The Kesh Inn (Celtic Woman Band)
Now this was different and new. Susan started by joining us to see how it is in Ireland in the pubs and around where music is being played. The band gathered around on the stage with Tara in the middle playing this nice tune. Hope they put this on a CD or at least a DVD. With the picture is a fireplace on the screen and lights red and orange, dancers dancing away, I felt like I just to a trip to Ireland.

10) Danny Boy (All) [Tara Plays Harp]
One of the stage hands bring out Tara's harp and places it in the middle of the stage. The girls regroup on stage around a microphone that was placed next to the harp. Mairead introduces the song as a second anthem for Celtic Woman.

11) Nil Sen La (All)
All three girls sit down on a lip that sticks out from the stage and starts singing. Now this song is on Targets VOA CD, which I was lucky to find and purchase. So this is another arrangement like all the songs on this years tour, so most of the lyrics have changed. They do their acting on stage telling the story. Then they go into the dance choreography. At the end the band keeps playing and each girl went around and introduced each band member. Afterwards they sung the chorus one last time and then it was intermission.

Act 2
1) Teir Abhaile Riu (All)
Lights go down and we hear drums. All four choir members come down the isle with the hand drums, (can't remember the exact names). Then all the girls show up on stage in these beautiful yellow dresses. Susan's looks similar to her Destiny blue dress, Eabha reminded me of Bell's dress in Beauty and the Beast, Mairead wore a pencil dress with a train that came down the back and wrapped around her waist short in the front. Tara had similar to her Act 1 but yellow. What stood out to me was Tara and Susan seemed to match material, Eabha and Mairead seemed to match material. Back to the song i beilieve I like this version better than the past. Loved the men choir backing up the girls.

2) You Raised Me Up (All)
All the girls leaves the stage but Eabha, she walks half way up the stairs in middle of stage. Soon Susan joins her then Mairead. This song never gets old, it's always sounds amazing every year.

3) Ave Maria (Mairead)
The microphone that was used in Danny Boy is returned to the middle of the stage. Mairead takes center stage and starts singing. She has the perfect tone and sound for this song.

4) For The Love of a Princess (Tara)
Tara now takes center stage and when this song started I knew what was next. This song definitely shows Tara's classical skills. She stayed in one spot the whole time until the pipe solo, she then respectfully steps away to share the spotlight. She then returns and ends the song with a wonderful run on the fiddle and a high note.

5) Westering Home (All)
I was glad they did this song on this tour. I hope they continue to use this in the future tours.

6) Ray/Percussion with Dancers
Oh we know what's going to happen when we hear Ray coming down the drum risers. He of course does a amazing job and gets the crowed up and going. Other band members join on stage and so does the dancers. Glad we were able to be entertained by the band members twice this tour. Really exciting to see all their talents .

7) Oro Se Do Bheatha Bhaile (All)
I was kind of shocked about this song, I figured since last year was the centennial for Ireland I figured it wouldn't be back on tour, was wrong on that. The group did another amazing job on this song.

8)Sean Nos Song (Eabha) [New Song]
Now I had no clue what this song would be when I saw it in the program. Eabha explained the song during her intro which gave it more insight what we can understand while listening to her sing. It was in Irish so didn't know much but it started as a haunting melody and then ended with a chipper tune.

9) The Voice (Susan)
So glad to hear Susan sing this again. This is one of my favorites she sings. Again it was a different arrangement but amazing.

10) Walk Beside Me (All)
I knew we had to be getting close to the end. This arrangement had all the girls singing instead of Eabha taking solo until the end.

11) Orinoco Flow (All)
This time a guitar solo started this song which threw me off until I heard the strings. So glad they didn't leave this song out. Only difference is the girls didn't do the improve in the middle.

12) Time to Say Goodbye (All) [Tara Plays Harp]
There was a delay due to Tara's harp being placed on top of the raised stage. She played the harp in this one which added a great touch.

13) Parting Glass (All)
Now again this tour has some of the same songs we've seen in the last but different arrangements. I'm not fond of the new Parting Glass, but it still gives off the same feeling as the other. There was a line I realized that was changed which is "So Fill to me the Parting glass, and gather as the evening falls." Instead of "So fill to me the Parting glass, and drink to health what ere before."

14) Exit [When You Go]
During the exit I did notice that the music was "When You Go" was being played by the band. Mairead introduced the choir members, and the producer came over the system introducing the girls like the last tour.

Even though this was the second concert this tour I believe that they did a wonderful job and gave everything they had. Hope you enjoyed this review and I can't wait to read all the others from other concerts, because I know not every concert is not exactly the same!!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 11:55AM by Celtic4life » Logged
dbbii

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 07:15AM »

I was at the opening night on Thursday in Lakeland.  Since Friday turned out to be an incredibly hectic day at work, I did not get anything posted.  Since I see there's already a show/set list review, I'll limit myself to some general comments.

This was my 3rd show in Lakeland.  First one was in 2011 which was Lisa L's first show with CW.  In 2014, Lisa sat next to me during the intro to TAR!

There were some typical opening night issues; missed lighting, etc.  Eahba had a ear bud issue during her second act solo -- first time I've ever seen a CW actually have to stop and start over.  She said she couldn't hear the piano.

Speaking of sound, I was not happy with the overall sound mix.  Way too much "background" music.  It was hard to hear the singers.

I am not a fan of the video wall.  It is very distracting.  It makes lighting the stage difficult.  The stage setting itself is somewhat bland.  There's no real WOW factor.  Looking back on some notes, they tried this back in 2010 at the opening shows in Roanoke, VA.  A couple weeks late, it was gone.

No base player anymore.  Band is now down to 5, depending on how you count Anthony.  Ray is still there.  Katrina is also back on percussion.  Did not catch the name of the other band members (there's that sound issue again), but I think the pipe player (Huh Murphey) was the same as last year also.  The guitar player also plays a second keyboard at times.

As a fairly long time fan, I knew this was going to be different experience.  I tried to go to the show with an open mind.  In talking to some people around me, the enjoyed the show, but something was missing.  I felt the same thing.  Yes, there were lots of old favorites, but they were different.  Again, not bad, just different.  A couple years ago at a Lisa Kelly Christmas show, she introduced Let It Go.  She said that she was practicing a new version of the song.  One of her students came up to her and said "that's not how the song goes".  That's somewhat the way I felt.  As Cetlic4Life posted, the closing song was The Parting Glass.  Watch the DVD of the Atlanta taping (I was there both nights).  Yes, bagpipe band.  Confetti cannons.  Full orchestra.  But, they did a decent job of scaling that down on the tour.  Here, it's just another song.

I'm going to the show again Sunday afternoon in Tampa.  I live here (Lakeland is only 45 minutes).  I'm going with 5 other people; 3 of which have never seen the show live.  Should be interesting.

Celtic4life

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 08:34AM »

They definitely had issues with their inner ears throughout the performance during their second show. Susan's microphone wasn't even on during her first line in "Walk Beside Me" then they flipped her on and it blasted through the speakers. During "My Heart Will Go On" there was lightening issues where Susan was singing and spotlight was on Mairead.

I see it as they are just getting started, there's always issues on the first week of tour. Choreography still trying to get memorized. There was some times the girls would get off and they jump right in just smiling and in good spirits.

I do agree about the stage. It seems since 2012 Believe tour its seemed to decline on the exciting, amazing design factor. I have noticed that they keep the same stage for 2yrs but change it up a little. For example 2012 Believe tour to 2013 World Tour they removed the extra staircase and the Arch. From 2014 Emerald tour to 2015 10th Anniversary tour the changed the background of lights and material draped on the stage. Then from 2016 Destiny tour to 2017 VOA Tour they removed the piano from the middle and added a lip like a really small runway.

I just hope they don't start going too classical where they are standing on stage with just a spotlight. I really liked the shows they used to put on with huge stage performance and design. The crew I was with mentioned that they noticed the gowns have gone to contemporary and not the flowing ball gowns.
The Impatient New Yorker
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 08:52AM »

Who's on the choir this year?

I've met Lisa L, Lynn(2x), Susan, Mairead C(2x), Mairead N (2x), Edel, Sarah, Nick, Craig, Anthony, Maggie, and Tommy
Celtic4life

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 10:45AM »

Ronan Scolard
Glenn Murphy
Carl Maguire
Alan McGrath
CWazyTom
Honorary Roadie

One CWazy Canadian! Chlovër for life!

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2017, 11:21AM »

Orlando, FL
Bob Carr
3/3/2017

Act 1
1) Mo Ghile Mear
Starting off the concert was not what I expected. There was a long time from when the lights dimmed for the keyboard to start. The song started with drums beating. Then we see the video screen fold out wings on stage with the Celtic Woman logo. Then the pipes start playing a nice intro. The girls slowly come on stage and starts the song. They are wearing the gowns similar to their promo pictures. Only difference is Mairead is wearing a blue trumpet style like dress instead of dark purple, and Tara has a ankle length green dress. Choir comes out and notice a new face has joined the choir.

2) My Heart Will Go On (All)
Susan introduced this song. This is a lovely version. I saw in their actions and movements that they really felt this song and gave it their all.

3) Dulaman (Mairead)
I bet Mairead has been waiting to do this song for a long time. I remember a video surfacing couple years back of her singing this song. I believe every member who sings this song has added their own style to it. Of course this is the arrangement Meav sang on the CD. Mairead did great singing and adding some dramatic dance into this. Loved how the choir picked her up off the platform and brought her down stage.

4) Isle of Hope (Eabha)
Eabha voice sounds amazing when she sings this song.

5) Amazing Grace (All)
When this song started first thought I had was "At the top of the show?" Usually they have this at the end of Act 1 or beginning of Act 2. There was no stairs for Anthony to go on stage so he stayed in the corner. Susan of course had the first line, they have church windows as a back drop on the screens above the stage.

6) Across The World (Tara)
The stage started off dark, then all of a sudden we see Tara appear on stage on one of the platforms. She moves around on this song from one side of the stage to another. One thing I like about Tara is that she does not try to be like Mairead N. she brings her own personality and techniques to the stage. Tara did not run around but she did put a lot emotion into her playing.

7) She Moved Through The Fair (Susan)
Now when Susan came out on stage she was wearing to what looked like a nice robe. Then it clicked, these are the new Ceili dresses. Then I started to wonder what song is next. She started singing "She Moved Through The Fair." First I was comfused with the gown and song. Once the she finished singing the first line she started to dance on stage. That's when I realized she has changed into something that she can move around the stage easily. Then one of the choir members came out and started to dance with her. I love the choreography they added to this song. It actually tells a story. I definitely want to see this again so hopefully it'll be on the DVD.

8)Tir Na Nog (All)
I was shocked when they sung this song. First Eabha and Mairead joined Susan after the previous song wearing the same gowns Susan was wearing. Only difference was the colors. What I can tell Mairead was a lavendar color, Susan was a mint, and Eabha was a choral blue. There was some trouble at the beginning with the sound track and the mic on the flute. It looked like it went to their inner ears but not out into the theater. Then once the flute got into the song the track came through. The girls never lost a beat, they were doing the choreography and I saw them looking at each other smiling. Mairead and Susan shared the lead. Eabha of course had her solo part in the end of the song. There was similar choreography as it was on Destiny DVD. There just seemed to be something missing, like a voice. I could hear all the individual harmony parts but something seemed off. They did add dancers unlike what they did on the DVD.

9) The Kesh Inn (Celtic Woman Band)
Now this was different and new. Susan started by joining us to see how it is in Ireland in the pubs and around where music is being played. The band gathered around on the stage with Tara in the middle playing this nice tune. Hope they put this on a CD or at least a DVD. With the picture is a fireplace on the screen and lights red and orange, dancers dancing away, I felt like I just to a trip to Ireland.

10) Danny Boy (All) [Tara Plays Harp]
One of the stage hands bring out Tara's harp and places it in the middle of the stage. The girls regroup on stage around a microphone that was placed next to the harp. Mairead introduces the song as a second anthem for Celtic Woman.

11) Nil Sen La (All)
All three girls sit down on a lip that sticks out from the stage and starts singing. Now this song is on Targets VOA CD, which I was lucky to find and purchase. So this is another arrangement like all the songs on this years tour, so most of the lyrics have changed. They do their acting on stage telling the story. Then they go into the dance choreography. At the end the band keeps playing and each girl went around and introduced each band member. Afterwards they sung the chorus one last time and then it was intermission.

Act 2
1) Teir Abhaile Riu (All)
Lights go down and we hear drums. All four choir members come down the isle with the hand drums, (can't remember the exact names). Then all the girls show up on stage in these beautiful yellow dresses. Susan's looks similar to her Destiny blue dress, Eabha reminded me of Bell's dress in Beauty and the Beast, Mairead wore a pencil dress with a train that came down the back and wrapped around her waist short in the front. Tara had similar to her Act 1 but yellow. What stood out to me was Tara and Susan seemed to match material, Eabha and Mairead seemed to match material. Back to the song i beilieve I like this version better than the past. Loved the men choir backing up the girls.

2) You Raised Me Up (All)
All the girls leaves the stage but Eabha, she walks half way up the stairs in middle of stage. Soon Susan joins her then Mairead. This song never gets old, it's always sounds amazing every year.

3) Ave Maria (Mairead)
The microphone that was used in Danny Boy is returned to the middle of the stage. Mairead takes center stage and starts singing. She has the perfect tone and sound for this song.

4) For The Love of a Princess (Tara)
Tara now takes center stage and when this song started I knew what was next. This song definitely shows Tara's classical skills. She stayed in one spot the whole time until the pipe solo, she then respectfully steps away to share the spotlight. She then returns and ends the song with a wonderful run on the fiddle and a high note.

5) Westering Home (All)
I was glad they did this song on this tour. I hope they continue to use this in the future tours.

6) Ray/Percussion with Dancers
Oh we know what's going to happen when we hear Ray coming down the drum risers. He of course does a amazing job and gets the crowed up and going. Other band members join on stage and so does the dancers. Glad we were able to be entertained by the band members twice this tour. Really exciting to see all their talents .

7) Oro Se Do Bheatha Bhaile (All)
I was kind of shocked about this song, I figured since last year was the centennial for Ireland I figured it wouldn't be back on tour, was wrong on that. The group did another amazing job on this song.

8)Sean Nos Song (Eabha) [New Song]
Now I had no clue what this song would be when I saw it in the program. Eabha explained the song during her intro which gave it more insight what we can understand while listening to her sing. It was in Irish so didn't know much but it started as a haunting melody and then ended with a chipper tune.

9) The Voice (Susan)
So glad to hear Susan sing this again. This is one of my favorites she sings. Again it was a different arrangement but amazing.

10) Walk Beside Me (All)
I knew we had to be getting close to the end. This arrangement had all the girls singing instead of Eabha taking solo until the end.

11) Orinoco Flow (All)
This time a guitar solo started this song which threw me off until I heard the strings. So glad they didn't leave this song out. Only difference is the girls didn't do the improve in the middle.

12) Time to Say Goodbye (All) [Tara Plays Harp]
There was a delay due to Tara's harp being placed on top of the raised stage. She played the harp in this one which added a great touch.

13) Parting Glass (All)
Now again this tour has some of the same songs we've seen in the last but different arrangements. I'm not fond of the new Parting Glass, but it still gives off the same feeling as the other. There was a line I realized that was changed which is "So Fill to me the Parting glass, and gather as the evening falls." Instead of "So fill to me the Parting glass, and drink to health what ere before."

14) Exit [When You Go]
During the exit I did notice that the music was "When You Go" was being played by the band. Mairead introduced the choir members, and the producer came over the system introducing the girls like the last tour.

Even though this was the second concert this tour I believe that they did a wonderful job and gave everything they had. Hope you enjoyed this review and I can't wait to read all the others from other concerts, because I know not every concert is not exactly the same!!

Well done!  It sounds like a really enjoyable show!

Tara Forum (@TaraMcNeilForum)
http://www.taramcneillforum.com/
https://www.facebook.com/TaraMcNeillForum/

CaraNua Fans (@CaraNuaFans)

Candy Canadiana (@candycanfans)
https://www.facebook.com/CandyCanFans
Cash
Honorary Roadie

carry me...on the waves

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2017, 11:12PM »

Thanks for the great review Celtic4life. Thanks for the additional comments dbbii.

I'm looking forward to this show. The set list looks great.

Did they allow non-flash photos at the shows?

Home is behind, The world ahead, And there are many paths to tread, Through shadow, To the edge of night, Until the stars are all alight.
CWazyTom
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2017, 11:24PM »

Thanks for the great review Celtic4life. Thanks for the additional comments dbbii.

I'm looking forward to this show. The set list looks great.

Did they allow non-flash photos at the shows?

I'm curious as well.

My guess it comes down to the preference of each venue, rather than the tour.

dbbii

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2017, 11:24AM »

Sign at the entrance to Lakeland said no FLASH photography.  Tried to take a couple shots -- didn't come out well.

The Impatient New Yorker
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2017, 07:41PM »

Last nights performance in Asheville was amazing. This was my tenth show and at it's looking like my final show in the south so it was Special. I really enjoyed the entire show. Tara blew me away, with For the love a princess being one of the highlights,  along with Mairead's Ave Maria, as well as time to say good bye.  I enjoyed the new version of Orinoco flow and Inhooe it gets released on a future album. My only issue was that Mairead didn't sing "a time for us" I did meet Tara, Eabha and a Mairead afterwards and had nice conversations with them all. Tara was the first out and she signed my fiddler crossing sign and commented that she had seen me in the audience and knew all the words. Mairead and Eabha came over together and Mairead called me out by name and gave me a big hug. I surprised her by bringing the booklet from the little prince which she apperead in, to which she told me she doesn't own a copy and she had performed it with a throaty infection. We spoke a little bit about Anna Netrebko who we both adore since I'm seeing her next may, so I'm hoping to get Anna's autograph for her her. Eabha was a delight as usual and I had a nice conversation with her. I told her that she looked like Belle from "Beauty and the beast" and she told me that I wasn't the first person who told her that and it was one of her favourite compliments to get. Anyway, I really enjoyed the show and I really hope everyone enjoys the show as much as I did, until next year you guys, - Dash

I've met Lisa L, Lynn(2x), Susan, Mairead C(2x), Mairead N (2x), Edel, Sarah, Nick, Craig, Anthony, Maggie, and Tommy
CWazyTom
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2017, 07:56PM »

I saw Voices of Angels on April 4th in Kitchener!

Before the Show:

Some free forum buttons were handed out out 50 or so lucky people at the box office. I'd say most people were surprised and thankful (some uninterested). Considering my poor skills as a salesman, I'm glad they were free. I wasn't sure if the venue would appreciate free stuff being handed out when there was merchandise at a price inside the gate, but I managed to hand them out until all my guests arrived (a few minutes before the show) without getting confronted by security, so that was fortunate.

The Venue and Seats:

The venue was nice, though not particularly spectacular.

The first 4 rows or so were reserved for people that bought subscription tickets to a series of 4 or 5 different shows at the venue. Given I had people with uncertain schedules coming from out of town to see it and they weren't interested in the other shows, I waited until single-show tickets were available to the general public about a month after the subscriptions were. I logged on the minute tickets were available to the general public and got seats in the 5th row to left of the stage from the girls' vantage point. The seats were comfortable and there was plenty of room in front and behind the seats for people to walk.

The Crowd:

I'd say the auditorium was about half full (about the same as the Destiny show in Detroit, but definitely not as full as the Home for Christmas show in Saginaw, MI). I knew going in it was going to be half full because I checked the ticket vendor's site the day of the show. What was really disappointing (and I'll go so far as to say offensive to both me and the girls) was the first 4 rows of people were about 75% empty. Sure, some people just couldn't make it, but the percentage unfilled seats up front was so high...a lot of them probably bought subscription tickets to other shows they were interested in seeing (ie. Annie or Elf, perhaps) and had no particular interest in the Celtic Woman show.

I was glad I was close enough to the stage so the girls could see me and there was nobody blocking my view, but I felt so bad for the girls. They deserve so much better. I doubt the tour will be back here given the poor turnout.

Before Isle of Hope, Eabha said a few words about how many people immigrated from Ireland to "right here, in the United States..." I guess people giggled or gasped under their breaths if at all, because the audience (in Canada) seemed very respectful of the slip of tongue. Eabha may have realized it right after she said it and but if she did, she just covered it well and moved on. Cheesy

There was apparently some confusion about whether or not people could take pictures. I specifically asked two ushers before the show if we could: we could take pictures, but no flash and no recording. A person next to me didn't ask beforehand and assumed pictures were not permitted. That individual was also vocal during the show about her displeasure at me taking pictures and how it was disruptive to the rest of the audience. If you've seen my pictures on Facebook, you'll note there were a bunch of songs I just didn't get any photos for near the end of the first act. That's why. The individual also told the usher during intermission about it and I guess found out at that point that pictures were allowed. The person sitting next to the person chewing me out of taking pics apologized on that person's behalf before the 2nd act and I apologized if the camera was disruptive. Anyways, for the second half, I switched seats with someone further down the row because I just wanted to distance myself from that mess.

The crowd was appreciative if not exceptionally enthusiastic. There were only standing O's for the last 2 songs, but none of the others, but the applause at the end of the show was pretty exuberant. The percussion number and The Kesh Inn really got the crowd into it. There were a few people clapping along during Across the World, but definitely not the whole audience. Maybe they were just enjoying her playing too much and wanted to hear her instead of clapping ( or maybe they couldn't keep up with her Wink ). I'd say the crowd was more into it than the HfC in Saginaw or Destiny in Detroit. It wasn't bad.

The girls were really appreciative of the crowd. They seemed genuinely touched at the end of the show. Roll Eyes

The Show:

I thought the set list had a lot of variety and energy. It got off to an epic start, with my favourite Voices of Angels track, Mo Ghile Mear!

There was some recorded orchestration to help fill out the songs, but it was less overpowering than it was at times during the album. I thought the combination and balance of live instrument backing and orchestra recordings was fairly good. I didn't really notice it, so it blended in well and didn't distract from the girls.

The stage design I thought wasn't anything spectacular, but I did like the little platforms that extended from the center of each level of the stage. Those served as points of visual interest at appropriate points in the show.

I barely noticed the images on the video screen at the back of the stage, honestly. I was fixated on the girls and their unparalleled talent. If they do another "name that song" contest on Facebook that involves identifying a song based on what was showing behind it on the screen, I'm not going to have much of a chance.

Goodness, those dresses were spectacular!

My Heart Will Go On I found even more enjoyable live than I did on the album. They developed the harmony a bit more in the first three quarters of the song and at the end.

The Kesh Inn was a really fun song featuring the band and Tara.

She Moved Through the Fair was a bit different than I was expecting. The parts on the album where Susan did that soothing, goddess-like humming was replaced with an instrumental segment of the same tune, which Susan danced too. It did seem a bit out of place for both the song and the rest of the show, but I didn't mind since it helped Susan show off another one of her talents.

I loved that Tara got to play both the violin and the harp. She didn't get to sing, but maybe some day. She grinned at me a few times, which penetrated right through my brutal cold and warmed my heart.

Ave Maria was among the highlights. I love that Mairead Carlin got to let her voice soar in this show. It was one of the best renditions I've heard. Watching her perform it live was even more impressive! She has ridiculous range and power! Time to Say Goodbye breathtaking as well.

I loved Eabha's Sean-Nos song! It was different and the second half of it was really fun and catchy.

Tara was such a joy to watch again! She's incredibly talented. She moved around the stage pretty well too and the super-adorable little expressions she made with her face made her performances even more enjoyable.

The Parting Glass Given the Believe/Emerald arrangement of this song is my favourite song and given my unexpected initial reaction to Amazing Grace and You Raise Me Up on the album, I was a bit worried about this one. Fortunately, my fears were totally misplaced. This was a pretty different arrangement, more along the lines of the traditional arrangement than the Classic Celtic Woman arrangement. But it still accomplished its goals perfectly for me. It was a bittersweet rendition, filled with wonderful harmony, overwhelming sadness (because of the show's swiftly approaching conclusion), yet a powerful sense of satisfaction.

After the Show

Wait, there's more???

I haven't been to this venue before (I didn't get out to a lot of shows of any kind before Destiny). I had walked around the venue before the show, so I knew where a marked stage door was and where the tour buses were. One of my guests had been to this venue a few times and directed me to the place where the band and crew exited the stage (inside the venue). We saw Ray come out and I got to say hi and take a photo! We waited for a bit, but nobody else I recognized came out. Just crew hauling off pieces of the stage. After 10-15 minutes or so, security came over and told us to get away. So I waited at the stage door for a while, but nobody came out of there. I suspect it was the wrong stage door (there was more than one theater and several ways out of each in that building).

It was windy but pleasant earlier in the day. Not so after the show. The rain held off, but it was well below freezing with the windchill and I wasn't dressed for extended punishment by the elements. I went to the tour buses, but security was hanging out there and started looking antsy if I got close. So I stood way back of the tour buses in a spot where I hoped I could see two of the potential stage doors (the marked one and another one closer to the buses). I was hoping I would recognize the girls coming out or they would recognize me and that would kind of signal to security to not intervene. There weren't a lot of people coming out of either door. It seemed the people getting on the buses were coming from widely different angles, but mostly from between two buildings. I tried changing vantage points a few times, but the buses were really close to the buildings and it was hard to see people before they got onto the bus. Even once I got within like 15-20 feet or so, I still couldn't see well enough. I think I saw (more like heard) Eabha as she sang her way on to the bus, but it happened too fast to even wave at her. By the time security wandered off I was really cold and I was also getting really uncomfortable hanging awkwardly out that close to the tour buses. My eyesight at distance isn't that great to begin with, especially at night, so at one point someone was walking towards me with hair that looked like Susan's so I got excited and waved. Turns out she wasn't Susan and was just going to her car. Yeah... that signaled the end of that, as I packed it in after about an hour of waiting (including probably 45 minutes in the cold).  Sad

So I was definitely standing in the wrong place and also too far back (for my eyesight, anyways). But considering I was already anxious about doing it and had already been told off by security once, I just didn't have the intestinal fortitude to try to get right behind the buses and look for the points of exit between the buildings. It didn't help I was the only person waiting, either. So I'll likely not be trying that again. Not
many exit-to-bus orientations would have been as challenging this one but the level of anxiety it took was just not acceptable.

Overall Experience

I really enjoyed Voices of Angels. The girls were practically flawless (as usual). They each sounded great and sounded great together. My guests enjoyed it too! Most of them were seeing Celtic Woman live for the first time and some weren't even fans before the show. Now they can tell their family and friends and Celtic Woman's sphere of love will grow!

Thank you to everyone involved in the show. The leading ladies get and deserve a lot of the credit, but the band, choir, and everyone behind the scenes that makes this show special deserve a round of applause for the wonderful work they do.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: