Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Celtic Woman pulls off the impossible Down Under [Potential spoilers]  (Read 3858 times)
MarcusWongAUS
Honorary Roadie

« on: February 09, 2018, 06:28AM »

I've just come home from the Sydney show of the Australian leg of the Voices of Angels tour and it was amazing! I'll be posting a review in parts over the next couple of days as I get time to write it. As I've done with my previous reviews I'll start with a brief intro (general thoughts, venue etc.) and then go song by song.

Now's the part where I pique your interest. Many of you have already seen the Voices of Angels tour, and I have faithfully been following the reviews to find out what I was in for. I thought I knew this tour inside and out having seen the reviews, read the set lists, and found footage on YouTube and thought it would be impossible to surprise me. And yet they pulled off the impossible…several times.

It seems that they're preparing for the Homecoming tour, so if you want to go in without SPOILERS, look away!

It's late now, and I'm out during the day tomorrow, but I'll be able to post my review in the next couple of days so stay tuned! Wink

26/6/10 Westfield Penrith
23/10/10 Sydney Entertainment Centre
21/12/11 Boettcher Concert Hall
18/8/12 Macquarie Centre
17/1/14 Sydney Entertainment Centre
9/2/18 Darling Harbour Theatre
MarcusWongAUS
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 07:49AM »

Part 1: Pre-show

This tour has been a long time coming for us in Australia. The last time we received a visit from Celtic Woman was September 2015. To put this in context, this was Eabha's very first tour with Celtic Woman, and it was not long after the filming of Destiny. In other words, we've been waiting for this tour a long time. It'd also be the first time with none of the original members of CW present. The stakes were high, so high in fact, that I began mentally preparing myself to be disappointed...with such high expectations, how could I not be?

M&G

In the past two tours, our M&G's have only been with two of the girls, so we spent a lot of time guessing who would be there this time around. We were all lined up outside a small room set aside for photography so we wouldn't see who it was until we entered. Lining up seemed to take forever and I was getting jittery just thinking about meeting them again. It was relaxing to see everyone in front of us leave with a smile on their face. Finally we entered a little waiting room next to the meeting room, and I began hearing voices. I heard Mairead's first, and my mind began racing thinking about what I might say to her. Then I heard Eabha and I got jittery. So it was Mairead and Eabha we'd be seeing. Then Susan's voice. Or at least I thought it was. Yes it was definitely hers. My heart was pounding, did we really get this lucky? And finally Tara's voice came wafting through. I guess wishes really do come true.

We step into the room, and it's Susan that's closest to the door. She took one long at me and her eyebrows pointed forward as if trying to make out my face. Then she smiled, hugged me, and "we've met before haven't we?" She remembered. The last time I'd met Susan was more than four years ago, in January 2014. I wished her a happy birthday and was hurriedly moved on to Eabha by the staff members, and she too hugs, and says "lovely to see you again". How anyone remembers faces that well is completely beyond me, I certainly wouldn't be able to do it. Then Mairead, I'd finally come to my senses enough to tell her that I'd begun taking singing lessons in opera. She looked so excited and gave me a high five and a hug too. Finally to Tara, another hug, and then I checked in with her to see how the Australian weather had been treating her, I knew she'd been apprehensive about the heat. To be fair she's been very lucky to catch the back end of Australian summer, it was a comfortable 25ºC for most of this week (~70ºF), but had they been here a few weeks earlier they'd have been hit with 35ºC (95ºF) heat. We took a group photo and while we were tinkering around I was stood next to Mairead, and she quietly says, 'yay the two opera ones together'. I could certainly see why everyone who left the room was smiling, and you couldn't have ripped the smile from my face as I left this M&G.

The Venue:

This was the first time the tour would not be taking place in the old entertainment centre. Since the last tour, that venue has been knocked down. We were put into the new Darling Harbour Theatre, which I can best describe as a modern version of a fairly traditional proscenium theatre (I think that's the right word) rather than an arena as per the old venue. It definitely suited the show far better than the old venue. It was smaller, more intimate and provided far better sight lines. Whereas previously the stage had been elevated above the heads of a good portion of the audience, and those eye level were placed quite far away, divided by a sea of people craning their necks to see the stage. It's a bit of an odd looking venue so I thought some of you might be interested to see it. The walls on the side were a little bit distracting throughout the performance though, especially as lights on the side were left to illuminate the wall and it's rather 'in your face' design. The venue could definitely have used more bathrooms as well, especially considering the number of audience members they expect to host. /

My Dad and I were seated four rows from the front, more or less dead-centre. It was time for the show to start.

18/8/12 Macquarie Centre
MarcusWongAUS
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 07:00AM »

POTENTIAL SPOILERS for the Homecoming tour follow from this point onwards so look away now if you want to go in fresh.

Here is a buffer zone for you all to avoid spoilers. It's from the official Facebook page, taken during the Sydney show Smiley If you're okay with spoilers, continue on.

Act I:

The lights dim. The music begins with the Homecoming Lament that began the rest of the tour. It's a very rousing opening to the show, and as it draws to a close and just as the lights are about to dim we see the girls take their place on the stage, in their new Homecoming dresses. The audience reaction to this moment for me always seems to set the mood, and thankfully, they were greeted with applause. I settled in, ready for Mo Ghile Mear, my favourite song from Voices of Angels.

I think it might've been the shock, but it took a couple of seconds for me to realise that this wasn't Mo Ghile Mear. But it hit me hard...a new song. This was the first surprise of the night. It's called Homeland, and if I had to guess, it's being trialled out on this tour for the upcoming US tour. I fell in love with it, and I've since looked it up on YouTube and downloaded it on spotify, and I'm desperately hoping they'll record it at some point. This set the tone for the night and I realised I was in for a roller coaster ride.

Tara launched right into Mo Ghile Mear (the first chorus was left unsung). Every time I hear Eabha sing "so come my love to battle come" I get chills, and this was no exception. Not much else to say because it was left unchanged from the rest of the tour. So was My Heart Will Go On But the sound balance live was so much better than on the album, particularly as Susan's powerful voice is allowed to soar over the audience. Next is She Moved Through the Fair, again unchanged from the rest of the tour and DVD, but such a beautiful number, especially with the choreography, and it was really exciting to see her bust out her talents as a dancer as much as a singer.

The next number is a bit of a surprise. Eabha took the stage and sings Ard Uí Chuain (thank you DVD for helping me get the right spelling  Grin ) but instead of going into the rest of the Sean Nos set, Mairead enters and begins singing Dulaman. In all honesty, I'm not thrilled with the new arrangement of Dulaman, and I hope that in the future we'll get to hear more classical stuff from Mairead, because those high notes she has are so gorgeous, and they aren't showcased as well as they could be in Dulaman.

Then another surprise as Anto enters with his bagpipes. But instead of playing Amazing Grace, he begins playing the melody from Dvorak's New World Symphony (better known to some of you as Non C'e Piu or maybe even Going Home on Chloe's album perhaps). This soon gives way to Amazing Grace.

The band begins to play Sadhbh Ní Bhruinneallaigh, but with a twist. Eabha is joined by the other girls and it has become a fun group number now. That did leave me with the nagging question of what Eabha's solo would be, last time she only had one (Isle of Hope), so I would've been disappointed if that was her only solo this time, but that question was answered soon.

As the others left the stage, Eabha remained behind to introduce her song. She said that she admired anyone who was able to bring Irish music to the stage and mentions Enya. My immediate thought was Orinoco Flow but thought it more likely she'd sing How Can I Keep From Singing, both of which excited me greatly. But I was wrong on both counts. It was May It Be. It's such a perfect song for Eabha too. Hers is the only voice that I have ever heard that comes close to matching the beautiful, ethereal and haunting nature of Orla's voice and she is really such a perfect match for CW.

Next up is another new song, similar to Across the World in vibe though. There was no name for it on the setlist other than Tara's tunes. It was really exciting to get to see Tara perform solo. She reminds me of an early-CW Mairead, and I think sometimes people forget that it took time for Mairead to grow into the role and move as much as she did, if you watch the first DVD, Mairead is far more reserved than she was later, and I think Tara will only grow into the role. But she isn't Mairead and she doesn't try to be either, and that's a good thing. She deserves to be her own person, and I'm so excited to see what she brings us in the future.

The girls returned to the stage in their Ceili gowns to perform Danny Boy. Such a gorgeous arrangement, and a very close contender to the IOH/SftH version, but I still think it just narrowly misses out, and that's just by personal preference.

Susan introduces the next number. It's new. It's fun. It's catchy. The tune reminded me a little of Spanish Lady. From the setlist it's called Ballroom of Romance but I haven't been able to find it online, so it might very well be an original song. The choreography is so much fun too. I really hope hat this will be on their next DVD, because it would be such a shame to lose it, but I guess we'll have to wait a while for it. That brought us to the end of the first half.

18/8/12 Macquarie Centre
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 07:29AM »

Thank you Marcus. Sounds like you an awesome  time.  Smiley 

rfcw
Honorary Roadie

Alex Lynn as next guest DVD, Susan LL next Castle

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 01:49PM »

REALLY Neat! What gets even thirteen year fans excited is new songs or new covers of other songs keep on coming.
Just imagine songs that define our life's journey & heart that we don't even know yet....that's CW! Wink

Down the winding road where my Caranua\'s/CW GEMS are!<br /><br /><br />[img]https://thumb.ibb.co/d0ovKv/FB_IMG_15025
CWazyTom
Honorary Roadie

One CWazy Canadian! Chlovër for life!

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 09:32PM »

Great writeup!  Shocked

I am so excited for the Homecoming tour!!!

I guess I have kind of a weird taste sometimes as the VoA version of Dulaman was my favourite. Pretty difficult to top Méav's singing, but I think Mairead's dancing added a new dimension to the song. It differed from Lisa Lambe's dancing in Emerald in that it seemed far more contemporary. Mairead's movements were very graceful. They let Mairead have a great time performing this. Plus she got to showcase her opera voice at other points during the show (during the North American VoA tour and the Homecoming DVD at least). That combined with the epic percussion and uilleann pipes just ... I LOVED the VoA / Homecoming treatment.

So true about Tara! She's already developed her movements a lot since she joined Celtic Woman and she has a lot of charisma.

Tara Forum (@TaraMcNeilForum)
http://www.taramcneillforum.com/
https://www.facebook.com/TaraMcNeillForum/

CaraNua Fans (@CaraNuaFans)

Candy Canadiana (@candycanfans)
https://www.facebook.com/CandyCanFans
Maloney
Featured Soloist

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 11:24PM »

So happy you had another opportunity to see the show !!

=)  yes!! We got to go ! 
Then there was Atlanta !
rfcw
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 04:48PM »

Excited to find what "tweaks" they will do next (from choreography changes, to song elements extra evolved touches or singing touches). Look's to be Eabha the only 1 for Act 1 Homecoming Tour dress changed color by how I see on this image!

Down the winding road where my Caranua\'s/CW GEMS are!<br /><br /><br />[img]https://thumb.ibb.co/d0ovKv/FB_IMG_15025
Celtic4life

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 08:02PM »

Excited to find what "tweaks" they will do next (from choreography changes, to song elements extra evolved touches or singing touches). Look's to be Eabha the only 1 for Act 1 Homecoming Tour dress changed color by how I see on this image!

It looks like the same dress. Just the lighting.
rfcw
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 10:33AM »

Grin That Lighting can change things X!!

It looks like the same dress. Just the lighting.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: