Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mattycakes' Trip To Dayton!  (Read 3361 times)
mattycakes
Honorary Roadie

Oh you have made me very angry, very angry indeed!

« on: April 22, 2017, 08:25PM »

Its that most wonderful time of year kids! That time where I stress myself into remembering every detail of the previous night to various degrees of success and almost certain failure! Lol! Hope you enjoy!

Side note: I'm just gonna do my thoughts on the actual concert, not my shenanigans in Dayton cuz that would take WAAAAAAAAAAY too long...

Act I

Opening/Mo Ghile Mear: I loved the opening to the show. Piper (I don't know his name yet) came out center stage while Ray and Catriona were smashing on the drums. It was a great, almost foreboding lead in to Mo Ghile Mear that I loved. I love the new version, but I will say I still preferred the old one. This new version was beautiful though and was an interesting way to start the show. The choreography was a welcome addition too.

My Heart Will Go On: Now this was a song I was looking forward to and the girls did not disappoint! My favorite part of this is the climax when Susan just belts out the song! On a night so heavy with Mairead's soaring soprano voice and operatic tones, it was great to give Susan her spotlight.

Dulaman: Speaking of Mairead..... Eh..... I have to say I'm tired of this song. Don't misunderstand me! Mairead performed it very well and she was clearly having a blast judging by the yips she gave us during the increments that she wasn't singing. But I'm just tired of it. Also, at the climax of the song, the music actually overpowered her voice quite a bit. I would've preferred A Time For Us over this tired old song.

Isle Of Hope, Isle Of Tears: Oh Eabha... I simply loved her singing this. The sound was better than on the CD version, where the music completely drowned her out. Now you could hear the depth and emotionin her performance. I have to say, while at the end of the song she interacted with the video on the screen, I found the video to be very distracting. And whoever made it couldn't decide whether to try to tell the story or show us the black and white "old" photos of the Statue Of Liberty.

Amazing Grace: MUCH better than that awful VOA version. This version seemed to combine the best of the original and VOA versions. The girls were absolutely soaring on this song! The harmonies were beautiful.

Across The World: Tara's first solo of the night was AMAZING! A truly great introduction to her. She flitted about the stage a bit and as the song kicked into the faster gear and we, the audience, started clapping along, she really got into it. She ran around a bit more, twirled about a bit, and became more engaged in the song. At the end, she got a standing o from those of us in the front and got probably the biggest applause so far. Which she seemed endearingly surprised by.

As She Moved Through The Fair: I have to say I was NOT a fan of this song on the CD. But seeing it live? O_o  AMAZING song! It was wonderful to see Susan perform this song. And beautiful to see her waltz across the stage with Carl. They need to keep the choreography on this one otherwise it's not nearly as good. This is one of those songs where the audiovisual presentation saves it from being a snoozefest. Well done Susan! Afterwards, Susan invites us to enjoy a rousing session, akin to what we'd see at a pub in Ireland....

The Kesh Inn: This was a blast! In my opinion, it was more fun than After Hours cuz it gave all the band and choir members the chance to cut loose and show their stuff. Carl and Alan's dancing was fantastic! The even added a hilarious Moonwalk to it (which, BTW, Alan posted on Instagram)! Tara joining in was the icing on the cake!

Danny Boy: I LOVE this new version. Tara playing Ireland's musical symbol, the harp, with the gentle orchestration, and the spectacular harmonies of the singers.... So gorgeous! Side note! Just so everyone knows, I was 3rd Row and I could actually hear the girls off-mic at times. You know, live. I heard Eabha during this song, Susan during My Heart Will Go On and Amazing Grace, and then all 3 later on. These girls do sing live people! Never doubt it!

Níl S'én La: And so ends Act I with my personal favorite version of Nil! I love the fact that this new version tells a story to it. And in it, the girls introduce each band member who then has a brief solo. I though the choreography for this one could've been a bit more rousing and would've only further contributed to it, but it was still loads of fun!

Tune in tomorrow for Act II!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 08:30PM by mattycakes » Logged
Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 08:48PM »

Side note: I'm just gonna do my thoughts on the actual concert, not my shenanigans in Dayton cuz that would take WAAAAAAAAAAY too long...
I guess we will have to read the police report and newspaper stories. Wink
mattycakes
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 08:55PM »

I guess we will have to read the police report and newspaper stories. Wink
Well considering Siri sent me down a Government only road and a cop did actually stop me from continuing that way, you're not too far off!
mattycakes
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 10:03PM »

Act II

Teír Abhaile Riú: Now this song as the Act II opener I wasn't sure about. Frankly, I'm still not sure. While the girls had a blast and it's a fun little song (infinitely better live seeing as the girls play instruments and the choir guys smash the bodhrans), the old version of this song is 100% better. I will say this, we in the audience got into the song and Mairead was encouraging us on by clapping her hands and clapping against her accordion (the noise of which I could hear in row 3, lol).

Orinoco Flow: I loved the new arrangement of this song! I loved the guitar intro and the lilting dings from the bells or chimes or whatever it was! It was also wonderful to have a vocal lineup matching the original CW version (an alto, a belting theatre soprano, and a soaring classical soprano). I loved that they did much of the Emerald choreography, but didn't overdo it.

For The Love Of A Princess: Ahhhh.... Such a beautiful song.... Tara really emoted though her violin the feeling she had and displayed such depth of emotion. The live tour version is extended somewhat and gives her a longer and higher climax to work with. And she did work it. Just breathtaking.

Ave Maria: Speaking of breathtaking.... As soon as I saw the mic stand coming out, I knew what was coming next. And how appropriate that Ronan brought it out for her as Mairead elegantly approached and the piano played Gounard's Ave. Oh my word.... Mairead so simply soared to a level that Destiny failed to give her. Her notes were beautiful and her voice rang out like a church bell over the audience. I could hear her off mic on those high notes and she was just spectacular. My friend Jimmy, who I always go with, said he thought it was the best Ave he'd heard them do (and we heard Chloe sing it multiple times). And I have to say, even though Chloe's my fave, I agree. There's just something special when it's just the singer and the music and the singer's voice soars that way.

Walk Beside Me: Tara came out to introduce this song next. She said thanks for being a welcoming audience on her first tour and that she was honored to be a part of the CW family (I'm thinking YRMU) and said thanks to the girls for being so welcoming every step of the journey. She said she was thankful for the friendships she made with the girls as they walked this journey together (Oh! It's Walk Beside Me, I thought). She introduced the song and began playing. Now, I prefer the Destiny version with just Eabha cuz I think it suits her voice perfectly, but I was touched by the emotions the 4 girls displayed. They truly made me like it better than when I first heard the VOA version. And Susan! They do sing live guys! Cuz Susan flubbed the lines of the first chorus! Don't sorry Sue! I do that all the time when I'm singing along to it in my car!

Óró Sé Do Bheatha 'Abhaile: Mairead introduced this song as being from their Grammy nominated Destiny album (to applause from the audience) and told us that it was a song that was an anthem to Granuaile saying welcome  home to a strong, champion of a woman. And when the girls were singing it, Mairead, who took the first chorus that introduces the song, was very much getting into the song and looked like she was welcoming to her favorite sports team. For those who have been wondering who sang what in this song, as I said Mairead did the opening solo chorus, Susan took verse 1, Mairead verse 2, and Eabha took verse 3. Very well done, reminiscent of the Destiny Tour version. I liked the fact that at the end, the lights were a mix of the green background with white and orange beams scattered throughout.

All The Rays!!!! This is a fun little display of talent from Ray since way back in the Believe days. But this time! Ray outdoes himself by adding a bit of foot tapping play in addition to instrument. Is there nothing he can't do? Then when Catriona came out playing while he was walking off, he turned around with a look that said, "Excuuuuse me?! This is MY stage!" Then they were joined by Anto on another drum and the dancers. A fun little performance!

Westering Home: Guitar Guy started playing a tune that I couldn't quite place... It sounded a bit like Westering but slower tempo slightly and a different key. Then Mairead came out and began the song. And before his appearance, Anti came out too early and literally backed out again from sidestage, almost as if saying, "Nothing..... You saw NOTHING!" I'm so glad they kept this song as it's my favorite from the Destiny album. I just love it!

The Voice: This song is slightly different from the version we're used to. It begins with Piper Guy playing one of the flute-sounding but clarinet looking whistles (I'm so sorry but I really have NO idea what instrument it is! Please don't hurt me!) while Guitar Guy plays a bit. Then Susan begins the vocals we all know. The vocals are much the same arrangement as before with Susan adding more power to the climax and the high notes. Could even hear her off the mic at points! Also, Piper Guy plays the same whistle over all of Mairead Nesbitt's old violin parts. I actually like the way it sounded better. I think this is Susan's best version of this song!

Ard Tí Chuain/Sadhbh Ní Bhruinneallaigh: Okay! First of all! Those are the names of the 2 songs, per the program. Feel free to copy and paste if you wanna find other versions cuz my computer nearly had a heart attack and crashed when I told Spell Check that this was the correct spelling. Secondly, omg! I loved this solo from Eabha! She came out and introduced the Sean Nos style of singing to us in the audience and sang the first part almost completely a cappella (minor orchestration could be heard towards the end of the first part) and sang the second with Guitar Guy and Ray and Piper Guy with Guitar Guy and Ray providing background vocals. Eabha was so very statuesque and breathtaking during the first piece. The second piece she was having more fun. I could hear hear off the mic in the first part. Not because she sang particularly high or belted but because the audience was so quiet and enraptured you could've heard a pin drop. I loved it!

Time To Say Goodbye: Mairead came out and asked us to applaud for the amazing band and all that they did which we most certainly did! Then she introduced this song as being one of her favorite new songs. Oh! It was breathtaking.... It was also interesting to see who sang what and where everyone fit in the song. Mairead was the focal point, providing those gorgeous high notes that could, once again, be heard without a mic. Her classical side was really shining through tonight. At the end of the song, we gave them a standing ovation that jus wouldn't quit! I'm serious! Susan wiped away a tear and Piano Guy was trying to start the next song but he couldn't until the cheering died down. Eabha, who starts the next one, was smiling and laughing appreciatively while still motioning for us to sit and let them continue....

You Raise Me Up: I actually like the new arrangement. But it's better live and I'll tell you why in a minute. Eabha takes the first part, then Susan, then Mairead on the first chorus. I loved hearing Eabha take the first part of the second chorus! I don't care what anyone says! I LOVE it! The choir's harmonies on this were wonderful and, best of all, all 3 girls were belting out the notes as strong as they possibly could. It wasn't just Susan hitting the strong notes. I could hear a bit of Eabha. And Mairead? I have never heard her belting out high notes like that except in the climax of the studio version of Let The River Run. Simply beautiful!

The Parting Glass: Eabha begins this by saying, Well! I think that you guys want another one, right? She thanks us for being an awesome audience and introduces this song alongside the other girls. I have to say, I truly love the intricate harmonies and the beginning and crescendo a cappella moments. I can even tolerate the change in some of the lyrics. But I wish it would've ended with the same breathtaking climax as the original version. Still, very good. Oh and BTW! For those of you who are going to future concerts on this tour, listen to the music from the beginning of Anto's solo on. If I'm not mistaken, the tune sounds very similar to Auld Lang Syne! P!ease, somebody check!

Then came Anto's solo and the girls' bows! Another fantastic concert! Although I do wish they still did an encore after the bowing. Like Spanish Lady! Either way, definitely a show I wanna see again!
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 06:21AM »

https://youtu.be/_67pnPKTsZM       Is  is  the  melody  you  heard  for   "Ard  ti   Chuain"  ?        The  spelling  is  similar  and  sometimes  Irish  songs    and  names  do  have  different  acceptable  variations  at  the  same  time.     btw...  fine  review.  Smiley   

mattycakes
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 08:05AM »

https://youtu.be/_67pnPKTsZM       Is  is  the  melody  you  heard  for   "Ard  ti   Chuain"  ?        The  spelling  is  similar  and  sometimes  Irish  songs    and  names  do  have  different  acceptable  variations  at  the  same  time.     btw...  fine  review.  Smiley   
Honestly it's hard to tell. Eabha's voice and style are so different from Deirdre's I can't tell....
IloveyouSarahBurke!! <3
Choir Member

When You Believe~ Chloe:"that was for you" 5/15/15

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 10:11AM »

I was gonna go to Dayton, but that was the day before Lisa Kelly's show in Georgia, and I was already down in Peachtree

Thanks Scott! 
I MET CHLOE (6X),LIL' LAMBE (4X)MAIREAD NESBITT(6X)AND SUSAN(6X) MAIREAD CARLIN(4X) ALEX SHARPE,and EABHA!!!!!!!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: