Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Homecoming special / DVD  (Read 50241 times)
CWazyTom
Honorary Roadie

One CWazy Canadian! Chlovër for life!

« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2017, 11:53PM »

Tonight is the night ... well, for those that can be there live it is.

For the rest of us, we will enjoy the magic made tonight in a few months when the DVD is available or the PBS special airs.

Wishing the girls, the choir, Anabel, the band, the whole crew ... and the generator Wink ... all the best.

Tara Forum (@TaraMcNeilForum)
http://www.taramcneillforum.com/
https://www.facebook.com/TaraMcNeillForum/

CaraNua Fans (@CaraNuaFans)

Candy Canadiana (@candycanfans)
https://www.facebook.com/CandyCanFans
Maloney
Featured Soloist

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2017, 08:58AM »

wish we could have been there 

=)  yes!! We got to go ! 
Then there was Atlanta !
Celtic Chan
Bodhrán Player

Queen Méav

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2017, 04:59PM »

I'm so excited to see what the dresses look like! Grin
mattycakes
Honorary Roadie

Oh you have made me very angry, very angry indeed!

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2017, 05:37PM »

Has anyone posted a setlist or anything? Pics? Info?
avalonfreak06

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2017, 05:57PM »

From what Michael Brown said on facebook, the setlist was the same as the tour except that they took out Orinoco Flow and one other song that was like a pirate song! Other than that,  I guess we will have to wait on an official review from someone. He did say they had new gowns.
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2017, 06:05PM »

Has anyone posted a setlist or anything? Pics? Info?
  Congrats  on  recently  hitting  2,000  posts  !     Grin

barb kantartzis
Total Fanatic

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2017, 06:39PM »

I have been following their twitter stories today and caught glimpses of it. Also I have been watching eabh as friend twitter story and a few others. But whoever was doing the one for the Celtic woman official and the other one, didn't do a good job of doing the pics and videos. Way to far back and some weird ones... eabhas friend had some good one closer though. The first dresses looked really pretty and the second act ones from what I could tell looked really pretty to! Wish I was their tonight!!

I I I I hear your voice on the wind, and I I I I hear you call out my name, listen my child you say to me I am the voice of your history be not afraid come follow me answer my call and i'll set you frrreeeee!!!!!!!
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2017, 07:07PM »

I have been following their twitter stories today and caught glimpses of it. Also I have been watching eabh as friend twitter story and a few others. But whoever was doing the one for the Celtic woman official and the other one, didn't do a good job of doing the pics and videos. Way to far back and some weird ones... eabhas friend had some good one closer though. The first dresses looked really pretty and the second act ones from what I could tell looked really pretty to! Wish I was their tonight!!
Haven't  seen  you  here  in donkey's  tears  Barb.  How  are  you ?   Smiley

rfcw
Honorary Roadie

Alex Lynn as next guest DVD, Susan LL next Castle

« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2017, 09:06PM »

Omf so excited do you have the name or link to those pics.
All I can say the dresses look anj like with the red on Susan, the green etc.

Down the winding road where my Caranua\'s/CW GEMS are!<br /><br /><br />[img]https://thumb.ibb.co/d0ovKv/FB_IMG_15025
barb kantartzis
Total Fanatic

« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2017, 06:08AM »

Ok don't know why it won't let me quote the two that answered mine! But I'm good and have been very busy but good! And how about you (raving maevic)? And the last one, I can't get any of the videos or pics due to it being a twitter stories so they go away after a while. It's a bummer. Most were not good shot whoever was in charge of it!! I did get one screen shot but I tried expanding it and it was not good! I am sure more will show up today!

I I I I hear your voice on the wind, and I I I I hear you call out my name, listen my child you say to me I am the voice of your history be not afraid come follow me answer my call and i'll set you frrreeeee!!!!!!!
CWazyTom
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2017, 11:50AM »

Pictures from the Voices of Angels DVD Recording:

Rehearsals

From Celtic Woman:

From Liam MacCarthaigh:

From Television Mobiles:

Stage and Arena (Pre-Show)

From Celtic Woman:

From Television Mobiles:

From lucia_acpartlin:

Stage and Crowd

From Niall Kinsella:

From Celtic Woman:

murtwhelansound:

Other:

The Girls

From Karsten:

From Aine Carlin:

From Susan McFadden Fans:

From Ronan:

From Eabha:

Anabel Sweeney:

From Adrian Kennedy:

The Band:

From Celtic Collections:

« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 10:58PM by CWazyTom » Logged

CWazyTom
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2017, 05:13PM »

Notes from the Voices of Angels DVD recording

Here are some notes I've pieced together so far from various reports of the DVD recording.

BTW, if you missed my previous post showing some of the pictures from the show I assembled from the various social media platforms, check it out.  Wink

Set List (unofficial):

Act 1:
1. Mo Ghile Mear
2. My Heart Will Go On
3. Across the World
4. Walk Beside Me
5. Dúlamán
6. She Moved Thru' The Fair
7. Isle of Hope, Isle of Tears
8. Danny Boy
9. Fields of Gold
10. Westering Home
11. Níl Sé'n Lá

Act 2:
Act 2:
1. Amazing Grace
2. For the Love of A Princess
3. Ave Maria
4. Water Under The Bridge
5. Ard Uí Chuain/Sadhbh Ní Bhruinneallaigh
6. The Voice
7. Time To Say Goodbye
8. You Raise Me Up
9. The Kesh Inn
10. Téir Abhaile Riú
11. The Parting Glass
12. Ray Solo / Floorplay (aka the percussion number)
13. Mo Ghile Mear (re-take)
14. Danny Boy (re-take)
15. Fields of Gold (re-take)
16. Westering Home (re-take)

Omissions compared to the 2017 Voices of Angels tour:
- Ó Ró Sé do Bheatha Bhaile
- Orinoco Flow (strange, considering they posted a video of them rehearsing it before the show). I wonder if they decided the rehearsal for Orinoco Flow was good enough and they decided to use that for the DVD so they had more time to retake other songs.

Anabel Sweeney:
- The Celtic Woman singer contest winner from Co Waterford, Ireland
- Sang a solo (Fields of Gold)
- Also sang the opening solo part of Westering Home
- She was a bit nervous, but overall, handled herself very well, particularly for her first big live performance
- She was apparently very professional, had great stage presence, and was funny as well

Dresses:

Act 1:
- Susan: Bright blue (she wore it during her dance number as well)
- Éabha: Medium blue
- Mairéad Carlin: Dark purple
- Tara: Pattern
- Anabel: White

Ceili:
... Working on it

Act 2:
- Susan: Red
- Éabha: Dark blue
- Mairéad Carlin: Black
- Tara: Gold

Songs that were particularly well-received:
- For the Love of a Princess
- Ard Tí Chuain/Sadhbh Ní Bhruinneallaigh
- Ave Maria
- Fields of Gold (Anabel)

Orchestra:
- 14 pieces
- 12 violins, a cello, and a bass fiddle

Band Notes:
- Gavin Murphy on piano

Stage:
- A modified version of the Destiny tour set
- Drapes to the sides of the stage
- Wasn't much decoration on the risers, but obviously more stage decoration than for the Destiny DVD

Production:
- They did the usual applause recordings (aka level checks) before the show
- There were a few lighting and audio issues, so they had to redo a few of the songs a few times
(There were a bunch of problems during Mo Ghile Mear, Fields or Gold, Westering Home)
- They changed the act 2 set list during intermission
- The recorded the band percussion number and The Kesh Inn after The Parting Glass. Apparently some people started to leave before they realized there was still recording happening.
- Then, they re-recorded Mo Ghile Mear, Danny Boy, Fields of Gold, and Westering Home and another version of the finale
- The recording started around 8:20 and wrapped up between 11:00 PM - midnight

Other Notes:
- Brendan Graham was in the audience and Mairéad got emotional when introducing him to the audience
- Some people tried a stage and greet after the show, but that was not successful

Overall:
- Overall impressions I've read from the show were quite positive, in spite of the technical / production issues.
- The crowd was apparently enthusiastic and supportive.
- There have been a few people that were disappointed with the production quality and all the restarts. Some people have said they felt they were catering more to PBS than to the audience in attendance. But as a DVD recording (not just a regular tour show), some technical issues and re-takes were to be expected.
- It sounds like the show went over quite well overall.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 10:06PM by CWazyTom » Logged

jamaica23

« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2017, 07:38PM »

also, about the people being disappointed, would it be right to say, they should be lucky this happened at all?
rfcw
Honorary Roadie

Alex Lynn as next guest DVD, Susan LL next Castle

« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2017, 08:47PM »

also, about the people being disappointed, would it be right to say, they should be lucky this happened at all?

Exactly right! Thanks for them Great images! I was a bit confused
I thought Susan wore white at the beginning it looks like it in some of the pics!

Down the winding road where my Caranua\'s/CW GEMS are!<br /><br /><br />[img]https://thumb.ibb.co/d0ovKv/FB_IMG_15025
CWazyTom
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2017, 09:56PM »

Exactly. Most of us didn't even get to see it. We're all very lucky that Celtic Woman continues to produce such beautiful work.

I feel like I have to rant a little, so please bear with me...

Expectations of Perfection

Some people wanted to see and perhaps expected to see a tour show instead of the "DVD recording process," which is the product the audience actually saw. Personally I think the imperfect process that goes into making the DVDs that have captured our hearts over the years deserves to be appreciated. All the work and complexity that goes into the show should make one appreciate the finished product even more.

There's so much more involved in a DVD than a regular tour show. The lighting is different. The audio is different. The stage layout is different. People are standing in different places. True, every venue is different for sound and lighting, but that difference is magnified for a DVD / special recording. There's so much more complexity and pressure.

It's not like they had weeks of rehearsals in the 3Arena. Most parts of a show like this come together for the first time at rehearsals the day before or even the day of the show. But people see the perfect DVDs and expect the recording to be perfect too.

With all the factors involved, expecting a flawless one-take for an entire show means all the different parts have to come together perfectly. That's asking a lot and defies the odds.

Granted, it sounds like they had a few more issues than normal, but unfortunately for the audience in attendance, it happens.

Perceptions of who the show is for

It seems to me like there were people in the audience that thought the show was for them and there just happened to be a DVD recording taking place. Personally, I don't agree with that mindset. The audience in a DVD recording is part of the show. The show IS for the audience of the DVD / special, not so much for the people in attendance for the recording, which is completely unlike a regular tour show. The audience is there to support the performers and yes, to a certain extent enjoy the performance, but there's an expectation that the audience will be supportive of the process too. It sounds like for the most part, they were indeed extremely supportive.

I think part of the problem for some people in the audience is that there was only one show (not just for the recording, but one show in Ireland, for the entire tour). This was the only chance to see the show for some people. So I can understand if some of them just wanted to see a good show and weren't interested at all in the process. That's a branch of fans I'd like to refer to as "customers."

The problem with having a second, regular, non-recorded show for "customers" is that:
- Ireland is their home market but not their main market.
- They want the place to be packed for the DVD recording and it's hard enough to fill an arena for one show. They could end up with people going to see the regular tour show and not be able to fill the seats for the DVD recording.
- A regular show doesn't draw as many people from out of town / country. It might be hard to fill the seats in an arena that big for a regular show.
- It takes time and money to promote each show.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. And there are more people in the fan base than there were in the attendance.

Just a thought...

Perception is very important. I'm trying to analyze this from the perspective of a really passionate fan, not just a customer. I love Celtic Woman. But not everyone will feel the same way and I have to accept that.

We've already had this argument on a different thread. People are entitled to be disappointed and to express their opinions. But here's something to think about ...

People like me are predisposed to think negatively. It takes a conscious effort for me to be positive. Some people see that kind of negative stuff and believe it, without considering a broader picture. Then they don't go buy the DVD, they don't get tickets to the next tour, and they either don't spread the word about Celtic Woman or they turn other people off from the show ... people that might really, REALLY need a show like Celtic Woman in their lives. People like me.

Just think of where some of us would be if we had been the ones reading those non-contextualized, non-counterbalanced negative comments and just decided Celtic Woman wasn't worth our time. Think about that and tell me those negative opinions out there don't matter and that we should just ignore them.

Just a thought.

We Still Care About Each Other

A lot of this discussion has been about the few negative opinions out there, as there always will be. I feel it's worth re-iterating that most of the opinions I've seen of the show have been quite positive, in spite of all the unfortunate technical issues. That, to me, shows that Celtic Woman still has a fiercely loyal fan base that cares deeply about the music and the show.

Celtic Woman took the time to address the mistakes that happened. Sure, they have to put out a high quality product if they want to sell DVDs, CDs, and tickets. But lots of companies put out a useless product still expecting it to sell. Therefore, I choose to believe that Celtic Woman insisted on getting it right because they still care about their product and then fans.

Celtic Woman is a Team

I think one important thing to take away from this is that Celtic Woman is and always has been a team. It takes a whole team to make the show as incredible as it normally is. Things we take for granted, like sound, lighting, and everything that goes on behind the scenes as well, take a lot of effort and talent. So when things go off without a hitch and we see that 'perfect' show on stage, I hope we all appreciate just a little bit more how lucky we are.

Really sorry for the rant, but thanks for reading.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: