Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Love for the CURRENT Celtic Woman group  (Read 2174 times)
CWazyTom
Honorary Roadie

One CWazy Canadian! Chlovër for life!

« on: November 25, 2017, 04:30PM »

There have been a number of threads that have tackled the differences in opinion people have with regards to "Current Celtic Woman" vs "Classic Celtic Woman."

Celtic Woman fans have essentially divided over time into two main groups:
1. Fans who like Classic Celtic Woman and don't feel the same about Current Celtic Woman
2. Fans who love both Current and Classic Celtic Woman

I think it's safe to say there are people on both sides who feel very strongly about their own positions.

I don't want this to be another one of those threads where people argue one side or the other, because even if we have a rational discussion, people are inevitably going to be offended, because we all love Celtic Woman (past, present, or both) very much. Arguing the sides of this debate causes resentment and Celtic Woman shouldn't be about negativity. It should be about the joy they inspire.

Now that the pre-amble is out of the way, my vision for this thread is for us to just share and discuss things that we love about the current Celtic Woman group, and the CD / DVD / tour offerings of Current Celtic Woman (we'll call that Destiny and afterwards).

I'll begin.

I absolutely love the harmony! There are other groups out there today that do great harmony, but none that make me feel like Celtic Woman does. Mairead Carlin gives them spectacular high notes, Eabha brings depth and resonance to their sound, and Susan fills out the sound with strong, yet soothing midtones. Tara (whether on violin, harp, or even when she's singing), blends in very well with the other girls.

What things do you like about Celtic Woman today and why?

Tara Forum (@TaraMcNeilForum)
http://www.taramcneillforum.com/
https://www.facebook.com/TaraMcNeillForum/

CaraNua Fans (@CaraNuaFans)

Candy Canadiana (@candycanfans)
https://www.facebook.com/CandyCanFans
Celtic Chan
Bodhrán Player

Queen Méav

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 08:50PM »

Susan's voice is incredibly powerful, Mairéad has impressive opera skills, Éabha has such an unique voice and sounds even more amazing when singing in Irish, and Tara gives so much emotion no matter if she's playing an instrument or singing.
CWazyTom
Honorary Roadie

One CWazy Canadian! Chlovër for life!

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 10:27PM »

Susan's voice is incredibly powerful, Mairéad has impressive opera skills, Éabha has such an unique voice and sounds even more amazing when singing in Irish, and Tara gives so much emotion no matter if she's playing an instrument or singing.

Those are all great points. Thank you!

Tara Forum (@TaraMcNeilForum)
http://www.taramcneillforum.com/
https://www.facebook.com/TaraMcNeillForum/

CaraNua Fans (@CaraNuaFans)

Candy Canadiana (@candycanfans)
https://www.facebook.com/CandyCanFans
ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

let it carry me through darkest night

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 10:42AM »

I think this is a lot of "back in my days, everything was better" and simply applied to Celtic Woman, just as any other sorts of things. While in most things (just think of life in general) some things were better in the past, and some worse. It doesn't work that way with Celtic Woman. The group was different in the past, not better, not worse, and there have always been people who said mean things against the newer member, but they could usually be calmed by the constant golden trio that was Lisa K, Chloe and Máiréad N. When finally every single original member left and new members came (I won't say replaced them, because in my opinion they are not replacements), the complaints about "the group not being the same" went worse. The thing is, the group isn't the same. Sure. But the group is great the way it is. They couldn't force the old members to stay, and if they'd have done so (by contract, etc.) it would have destroyed the chemistry and atmosphere, because people perform and act in a much different manner when they want something than when they don't. Each Celtic Woman member doing exactly what they want and enjoy is incredibly significant to the results heard and seen in the music and shows, and I suppose their social and private life behind the scenes. The only alternative to close the group, was to change it. If there weren't new members, the old ones would still have left, the old recordings would have stayed just as they did now, and no new ones would have been made.

That aside, we don't need artistical stagnation. Celtic Woman exists for more than a decade now, and if they don't develop and evolve, they will go down. The important aspect is staying true to yourself - not selling what makes you you for some sort of reward, but keep being you doing new things. This is also what I have to say to people complainong about CW doing different genres: no artist - or person in general - and no group of people has to sign a contract that says "only do one thing" and one can do authentic Celtic music and contemporary at the same time.

The thing is, most people don't hate or dislike the new members at all. In fact, they probably would have loved them, if they had been with CW from the beginning. What they do is fear the change, and miss the old ones, but they can't articulate it. And they don't realise that they would still miss the old ones if the new ones never came, and that the end of the group would have been the most fatal change of all.

Personally, I love listening to all of them, and to the old and the new albums. I usually prefer the old ones, and I am so very happy that they are still there, forever (or at least a very long time) in fact, to be replayed again. But they have been done, and there is no way to keep doing something that has been done already, not even re-doing it would be the same. Even if now, in 2017, CW would still consist of the original line up, they would have done new songs since then, and some people would have complained about the music being not was it was, and if they had still been doing the programm of ANJ (my favourite, mind you) people would have been tired of them, and said they should make changes, in style and staff.

So Celtic Woman did all right, all of them do what they love, we can enjoy anything they do, and simply pick what we're in a mood for. That what does "haters" don't realise. If the band stopped "existing for them" when Lisa K (as a random example) left, than instead of hating on Susan (whom they've liked if she came an addition instead of a replacement) they should simply listen to or watch recordings featuring Lisa K, or follow her solo career, etc. This applies to every former member. The new members never pushed them out of the group, and without them there would not be the old group, there would be nothing.

That aside, in my opinion, there are no new or old members, there are active members, and those who are currently doing other things. Once a Kin-, no wait, Once a Celtic Woman, always a Celtic Woman.

Kevin R.I.
Featured Soloist

my two favorite green eyed ladies

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 10:46AM »

I`ve seen them on stage since 2009 so I`ve seen most of the changes in the lineup....and just speaking for myself, I`ve NEVER seen a CW show that I didn`t enjoy. The music, harmony  and performances have always been EXCELLENT . EVERY one of the ladies are a talent and sooo enjoyable to see on stage. As long as they keep performing, I`ll keep going.

thanks EVI

Hi Kev, I sneeked into your account as you know, wanted to say: love you!!!!

Love, Evi.
dbbii

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 04:02PM »

I love the power of Susan's voice if they let her use it.

A couple of years ago, I talked to her maybe a week before the RCMH show.  I asked her how she felt about doing a Tribute to Broadway while she was more or less ON Broadway.  She said that didn't concern her as much as the fact that her parents were going to the RCMH show, and that would be the first time they saw her with CW!

Mairead -- Beautiful voice. 

We have the same birthday!  (OK, it's a lot of years apart)

Ebbha -- What I would call a haunting voice.  Reminds me a little bit of Karen Carpenter.  My local PBS station is running a Carpenter\s show during the pledge drive.  I forgot how great she was.

I've never been a huge fan of Auld Lang Syne until I heard her do it a Christmas show a couple years ago. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: