Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Homecoming show #1 observations  (Read 4341 times)
dbbii

« on: March 03, 2018, 06:46AM »

Some quick observations from last nights show in Lakeland, FL

It was a good show, but not a great show.  It was at a typical theatre, somewhere around 2,000 seats.  It was probably 70% full.  The crowd was not really into the show, which I'm sure has an affect on the performers.  Based on some overheard comments, a lot of people still don't get that the group changes over the years.

Somewhere I have some notes on the set list, but can't find them right now.  There were maybe 3 or 4 new songs.

The stage was the same set up as last years.  The backdrop was a curtain.  At times, they were projecting pictures on it. There is only a 3 guy choir this year.  New piano player.  Ray is now playing Roland drums instead of Pearl.  No bass player.  Does anyone remember if there was one last year?

I had some issues with the sound.  I was in the second row, so that may have had something to do with it.  At times, it was hard to understand the words -- the music was too loud.  Same thing with lighting.  I was hard, at times, to see the girls. They needed some more spotlights.

My opinion is the show didn't flow well.  For example, YRMU was used as the opening song of the second act.  I always thought it belonged near the end.  Near the end, they did Time to Say Goodbye.  That brought a standing O, because people thought it was the end of the show.  There were still a couple songs after it.  I like the new version of Mo Ghile Mear (it was the 2nd song of the first act), but I still miss the dueling drums.

After talking with someone else, they said it sounded like the show was tired.  That's a good term.  This is mostly a recycled show.  Only a couple new songs.  Same staging, minimal lighting effects, etc.  Nothing to really hook the audience it.  (remember TAR starting in the audience).  OK, Anthony did start Amazing Grace in the back of the theatre and walk to the front, but not up on stage. 

Over the years, I have probably averaged going to 7 shows a year; a couple of those were M&Gs.  I've got lots of autographs, photos and memories.  I had a plan for maybe 2 more shows this year -- I'm still trying to make up my mind if I want to make the investment.

rfcw
Honorary Roadie

Alex Lynn as next guest DVD, Susan LL next Castle

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 10:05AM »

A lot of people commenting about not getting how the lineup changes are those still familiarizing CW as being Chloe, Lisa K, Mairead N. Of all the other members perhaps Lisa L is next recognized for her energy, her amazing confidence, Dulaman.
A lot of people may know Lynn, Alex by years on tour other than that 1 DVD may not click for them to remember or at least as a wonderful guest which not.

My Thought's of this Homecoming Tour Coming After the Voice's Of Angel's Tour
!

This show is suppose to be like Song's From The Heart tour transition from Isle Of Hope Tour except the new songs being on tour is as much like Isle Of Hope tour coming after SFTH than first.

To me it be more powerful if Homecoming came as a tour after the VOA album. Then the DVD filming would take place during the Homecoming Tour but the filming be Voice's of Angels! Then now you could have the VOA tour with these new songs would make it like they did IOH to SFTH and similar to the DVD filmed later of HFC from the the album.

Homecoming is good the dresses are good but not having the ones from VOA as part of ACT 1 was something beautiful missed aside the tour. The Homecoming dresses for Act II instead of the Yellow would gave a contrast but would it fit the VOA's theme why yes it replicates My Heart Will Go On, Time to Say Goodbye.
Voice's Of Angel's as a main Pbs Special DVD Tour would been much more beautiful as the VOA was far one of the most Beautifully Tours I've seen I have not seen Believe to say this.

Voices Of Angels would of been a beautiful DVD
The Emerald Tour, was far better unique than it's DVD counterpart.

For those who've been or seen The Voice's Of Angel's Tour, to now go on Homecoming Tour look's like a step backward..
I think because its less impressive than the VOA tour debut the set, dresses. Etc I mean the only thing to get excited about is a few new songs. The difference from Sfth after IOH to now Homecoming after VOA. Homecoming as an after VOA production looks less to beat VOA. Whereas SFTH was Beautiful and was a great next level to CW after ANJ and next level of IOH! Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 10:40AM by rfcw » Logged

Down the winding road where my Caranua\'s/CW GEMS are!<br /><br /><br />[img]https://thumb.ibb.co/d0ovKv/FB_IMG_15025
jamaica23

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 12:34PM »

did they put in the song i requested, Here to Stay?
mattycakes
Honorary Roadie

Oh you have made me very angry, very angry indeed!

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 09:16AM »

Some quick observations from last nights show in Lakeland, FL

It was a good show, but not a great show.  It was at a typical theatre, somewhere around 2,000 seats.  It was probably 70% full.  The crowd was not really into the show, which I'm sure has an affect on the performers.  Based on some overheard comments, a lot of people still don't get that the group changes over the years.

Somewhere I have some notes on the set list, but can't find them right now.  There were maybe 3 or 4 new songs.

The stage was the same set up as last years.  The backdrop was a curtain.  At times, they were projecting pictures on it. There is only a 3 guy choir this year.  New piano player.  Ray is now playing Roland drums instead of Pearl.  No bass player.  Does anyone remember if there was one last year?

I had some issues with the sound.  I was in the second row, so that may have had something to do with it.  At times, it was hard to understand the words -- the music was too loud.  Same thing with lighting.  I was hard, at times, to see the girls. They needed some more spotlights.

My opinion is the show didn't flow well.  For example, YRMU was used as the opening song of the second act.  I always thought it belonged near the end.  Near the end, they did Time to Say Goodbye.  That brought a standing O, because people thought it was the end of the show.  There were still a couple songs after it.  I like the new version of Mo Ghile Mear (it was the 2nd song of the first act), but I still miss the dueling drums.

After talking with someone else, they said it sounded like the show was tired.  That's a good term.  This is mostly a recycled show.  Only a couple new songs.  Same staging, minimal lighting effects, etc.  Nothing to really hook the audience it.  (remember TAR starting in the audience).  OK, Anthony did start Amazing Grace in the back of the theatre and walk to the front, but not up on stage.  

Over the years, I have probably averaged going to 7 shows a year; a couple of those were M&Gs.  I've got lots of autographs, photos and memories.  I had a plan for maybe 2 more shows this year -- I'm still trying to make up my mind if I want to make the investment.

*Disclaimer: Slight ranting ahead*

I think the main problem people are having with this current lineup (myself included) is fatigue. I'm tired of hearing the same old songs redone for the millionth freaking time!

VOA was a toss-up for me. I liked some of the songs on that CD, especially the newer ones. But there are also remakes I don't care for one bit. I understand that with David gone, Celtic Woman has to rearrange several of the big classic CW staples. And some of the remakes I like. Mo Ghile Mear was beautiful. I actually really enjoyed the Target exclusive version of Nil as well! (I know not everyone has that version of VOA but I really like it cuz it's much closer to the traditional story of the song) And the new songs, Time To Say Goodbye and My Heart Will Go On, will easily stand the test of time in the catalog.

But where they really screwed up was the solos. Eabha, Susan, and now (on tour anyways) Mairead's solos are ALL rehashes! At least Destiny gave them all new material! Did Destiny have its flaws? Yes, of course. Namely, Mairead C had no shining moment. Her solos were weak choices. But at least with Destiny it was all new material! A couple old songs were there on tour, but it was mostly new. That rejuvenated the group!

Am I okay with the current girls singing rehashes of old songs? Sure. But since they get 2 solos, why not do one old and one new? On VOA, I loved Mairead's 2 solos! One was an old one, Ave. But it was the really older, not been done since 2008's TGJ Chloe-rehash, Gounard's version. That made sense! Make it a song that's completely out of the blue! One we haven't heard for a while! And pair it with a new song like A Time For Us (which, BTW, was STUNNING).

Eabha's Sean Nos melody is INCREDIBLE! That's something we've never heard before. Not since the early day's of Orla singing Harry's Game have we had that particular haunting style of singing which is so inherently Irish. But IOH, IOT? Really? No thanks! Listen, Eabha's wonderful. But you cannot compare to the 2009 group's signature song. They named a tour after that song, for Pete's sake! Let her go back to either of her stunning Destiny solos! I loved, loved, LOVED Walk Beside Me! I preferred it as her solo, but if they want it to be a group song now, so be it. She also sang How Can I Keep From Singing beautifully.

Tara's 2 solos from VOA were actually great! I loved them both so she gets spared any ranting.

Poor, poor Susan. You know... With Destiny, Susan finally got to step out of the shadows and have 2 solos all her own. VOA? Let's rehash an old Meav solo and Lisa K's signature piece for you! I don't mind She Moved, but only the live version because you get to see Susan show off her impressive dancing talents. But I would prefer both to be removed. If you really want to show off Susan's impressive vocal ability and her theatrical background, give her a freaking theatre song! Memory would be my first choice since she was in Cats! Or maybe On My Own! Just SOMETHING else!!! And pair it with Whole Of The Moon. I actually liked that song. It was upbeat with a very catchy tune behind it.

And Destiny gave us fantastic group songs! Why are we all of a sudden forgetting it? My Land would be perfect for a Homecoming show! Bean Phadin was fun! Terloc's Dream/When You Go wasn't bad. Is it a show opener? No. But maybe a second act opener! Where is Oro at? And please, for the love of God, can we do away with this new version of TAR? I like seeing the girls playing their instruments and having, fun but surely everyone can agree that this song isn't end a shadow if the fun of the original? Because it's not.

Okay! I'm done! Rant over!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 09:18AM by mattycakes » Logged
rfcw
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 09:35AM »

I love different versions of same songs.
Example: She Moved Thru The Fair in Duet.
If I can have the recording of
Alex's CW Dulaman, Teir Abhaile Riu
Lynn and or with Alex or with Mairead C Si Do Mhaiemo I
I Would Scream for that CW CD!!!!!!!!

Look at Eabha about to do May It Be.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 09:39AM by rfcw » Logged

Down the winding road where my Caranua\'s/CW GEMS are!<br /><br /><br />[img]https://thumb.ibb.co/d0ovKv/FB_IMG_15025
GlenS

am admin at the all New Celticwomanforum.net

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 03:40PM »

Any one have the set list for homecoming tour

Cash
Honorary Roadie

carry me...on the waves

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 11:02AM »

Any one have the set list for homecoming tour

The newspaper guy that wrote the bad review included the set list. I don't know if its been linked to this forum, as this forum usually doesn't post negative stuff, and I won't either. Typical thing we have seen over the years, with the usual shots. But some Facebook fan pages linked it, so if you are on FB check into that and you will see the set list.

Home is behind, The world ahead, And there are many paths to tread, Through shadow, To the edge of night, Until the stars are all alight.
Cash
Honorary Roadie

carry me...on the waves

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 11:33AM »

I liked the show. I always do. I've only seen it once and would like to again. As always theres stuff that I miss or stuff I want to see again. But my budget isn't what it was back in the old days :-(  so fewer shows for me.

I agree with Don regarding the song order. It seemed ... out of order. But that may be because we long time fans have been brain conditioned for certain songs at certain times. What do newer fans that have seen fewer shows think?

Regarding the new song v. old song debate - CW has a tough problem with that. A lot of people love the old stuff and want it kept, but theres only so much time in a concert. If they put in new stuff, somethings got to go, or the concert needs to be extended. I'm sure that could create new issues for them, though we fans wouldn't mind!  ;-)      This happens to other musicians. I was at a Stevie Nicks concert on the floor. When she did old stuff, fans (most 50+) were dancin' and singin' and standin'  When she did new stuff, we all sat down and rested. We all came to hear our old favorites. 

There were numerous new songs in Homecoming. Susan did a great job with From a Distance. And Eabha's one solo ("Wild Mountainside", I think?)  will be well liked, I really want to see that one again. Was that a photo of young lil' Eabha they showed at the end? But they seemed to do ok balancing old and new.

As for the old songs, Amazing Grace is still...well...amazing. I love the Kesh Inn. CW has always done a great job at getting the band into the spotlight for a few minutes to let them shine, but they never steal the thunder away from the principles.

Also, an interesting thing happened at the m&g. Anto was there taking some of the m&g photos. I think this could be a good sign. We do know that he was more than just a musician in the past. Didn't they also list him in the program as "carpenter" or some such title. Also, I remember seeing him helping out with loading trucks in the past. Perhaps he is learning more and more and maybe headed to be manager or producer . He could be good at that, and having been an actual musician with experience in the group, he knows his stuff and  he might do very well. That's good for us fans.

Home is behind, The world ahead, And there are many paths to tread, Through shadow, To the edge of night, Until the stars are all alight.
White Rose
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 09:33AM »

I think they really do need new songs. Keep a couple of the group numbers, but if they changed all the solos for each show that would be better, as in new songs. Give new group numbers too. Kesh Inn is a ton of fun, and one I'd be really happy with them keeping for a while. When that one eventually gets replaced, they need to replace it with another thing for just the band. You Raise Me Up and Amazing Grace are, to me, at this point boring because I've heard them both so many times.

All the solos were really, really good this time. When I saw the show this year with my dad, he did mention how The Voice has been overdone at this point. I saw Alex, and it was her second act solo. I did mention that she was a last minute sub, and had done that solo before, and it did fit in with the show. I mentioned that if we saw Susan instead, it would have been a new song.

I agree on the bit with Susan getting a solo from a musical. It would work wonderfully.

What I really liked about Destiny was that it went back to some actually Celtic music. So much of CW has been a whole bunch of stuff outside of Celtic for years now. There's plenty of the "traditional" songs CW hasn't touched and bringing those in would take them back to their roots.
rfcw
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 11:21AM »

As Yes Destiny was the only completely new special since Believe it looks like the direction they are going now is like Isle of Hope.
Voice's of Angel's tour was the Best it collaborated songs from every special from it's timeline history having the most number of group numbers on a tour. Homecoming is a repeat of Voice's of Hope marks along with new material. It's great but that means we will have all the news repeating again on the next project and next tour. Believe and Destiny were never new songs on tour before the special other than Walking the Night, The World Falls Away and My Heart Was Home Again but that was an additional new song initially for Alex to keep on to with CW. Walking The Night was an extra song for Alex also on the short term as Lynn has goodbye my angel in her place.

Based on Murphy's Ballroom similarence in English to the late Spanish Lady are we upon the verge of a Voice's of Angel's Part 2.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 11:25AM by rfcw » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: