Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is next with Celtic Woman ?  (Read 30012 times)
rfcw
Honorary Roadie

Alex Lynn as next guest DVD, Susan LL next Castle

« on: April 13, 2018, 10:03AM »

What are your ideas, dream, vision etc

After Homecoming

Down the winding road where my Caranua\'s/CW GEMS are!<br /><br /><br />[img]https://thumb.ibb.co/d0ovKv/FB_IMG_15025
Kimberly AJ
Choir Member

Chloë Agnew will always be my VBIF forever~!

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 06:11PM »

How about The American Cutie Kimberly and the Original Member Reunion? That'll star me as Kimberly AJ.

LOOK OUT! ROGUE ROBOTS!
mattycakes
Honorary Roadie

Oh you have made me very angry, very angry indeed!

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 07:13AM »

I personally hope Celtic Woman goes for some new Classical music. I love when they do the big, group opera pieces that show off their talents. My favorites are still songs like Jesu, Joy, Non Ce Piu, and Time To Say Goodbye. I hope they continue with that. And I hope they give Susan more theatre music, give Mairead some beautiful ballads (like they did with the thus-far-unused A Time For Us), give Eabha more Irish songs (I LOVE hearing her sing in Irish), and let Tara finally sing!
Ganconagh

Resistance is futile

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 09:06AM »

I’m familiar with the “you can’t go home again” adage, and I have no problems with Gavin Murphy; but I would like CW management to make amends with David Downes and ask him to come back.  The shows lack that “Downes touch” that made the CW concerts so special.  His creativity and vision are sorely missed, and I would reeeeeally like to see what he could do with this line-up.

"Face piles of trials with smiles.  It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free."
rfcw
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 02:04PM »

I’m familiar with the “you can’t go home again” adage, and I have no problems with Gavin Murphy; but I would like CW management to make amends with David Downes and ask him to come back.  The shows lack that “Downes touch” that made the CW concerts so special.  His creativity and vision are sorely missed, and I would reeeeeally like to see what he could do with this line-up.

I Agree

Down the winding road where my Caranua\'s/CW GEMS are!<br /><br /><br />[img]https://thumb.ibb.co/d0ovKv/FB_IMG_15025
rfcw
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 02:10PM »

I envision there is a big surprise project coming in the works for Summer. My vision dream horizon speculates a big surprise has to be important for CW. Most cases important refers to something within the groups history. Perhaps Mairead N is ready to return for more CW. A new special with the new songs featured such as Homeland with featured special guest former member Alex Sharpe!
A THIRD Holiday SPECIAL with those who had not been involved in like Mairead C, Eabha, Tara, with Guest Lynn Hilary and Alex Sharpe much like HFC with Meav. Former members as Guest is so great. Already Meav participation has brought new life core to the group.

White Rose
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 02:59PM »

I personally hope Celtic Woman goes for some new Classical music. I love when they do the big, group opera pieces that show off their talents. My favorites are still songs like Jesu, Joy, Non Ce Piu, and Time To Say Goodbye. I hope they continue with that. And I hope they give Susan more theatre music, give Mairead some beautiful ballads (like they did with the thus-far-unused A Time For Us), give Eabha more Irish songs (I LOVE hearing her sing in Irish), and let Tara finally sing!

Agreed.

I think they really need new songs. Some of the ones on tour have been done so many times over the years. I would love them to go to a more Celtic feel.

Also, I really miss the a Capella group numbers. They would only do one per show, but the songs really showed off how good the voices were as a whole. They haven't done one of those in years.
The Quiet Man

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 03:53PM »

If I had to guess there is a new album in the offing this summer, which probably will include some or all of the new pieces they have been doing on tour this year.  Maybe they will shoot somewhere other than Ireland.  I doubt there will be any permanent returns of any past members, although as this year has shown anything can happen.  Mairead Nesbitt seems to be having too much fun doing her own thing to return yet, if ever.  I think David Downes is out of the picture for good, and the less said about that the better. 

Personnel changes are of course a possibility.  Susan is now on her sixth year and MC is in her fifth.  Believe it or not Eabha is now on her third.   More importantly, with Eabha getting married during the break, the group will be entirely composed of married women for the first time in its history (it's always included at least one or two unmarried members in the past), including three of prime childbearing age.  I really think some baby breaks are coming up, and those may result in some temporary help from Alex, Lynn, Meav (she's there anyway, her "gowning up" temporarily would be easy), Rebecca Winckworth, or (unlikely) Annabelle, or some new permanent hires if the new moms decide not to return.  Of course Tara isn't so easily replaced, but neither was Mairead N. 

Beyond recording the new pieces that they are already using this year, I don't know what else could be next.  Clearly there is some fan fatigue with some of the longtime standards, and I don't blame the fans, the girls have been singing Amazing Grace and Danny Boy and YRMU since the beginning and Mo Ghile Mear since 2006.  The thing is I don't know what will grab the fans' attention and hold it again.  It's definitely not the original show now, nor the New Journey that heralded the act's coming of age.  As pointed out many times this is a show, not a group, so I try to think of it at least to some degree the same way as I might think of a TV show.  14 years would be a long run for a live-action (excluding animated stuff like The Simpsons) TV show, generational shows like Law and Order and Gunsmoke, which viewers literally grew up on, are the exception, not the rule.  I myself was a long-time fan of both ER and NYPD Blue, which lasted for 15 and 12 years respectively and kept on changing as the years passed.  Eventually I started to suffer from change fatigue and possibly length fatigue on both.   

Every good story has an end, and I wouldn't be too too sorry if this one ended after a decade and a half.
CWazyTom
Honorary Roadie

One CWazy Canadian! Chlovër for life!

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 04:35PM »

I hope they find a way to keep it going.

Long-running shows like the Simpsons overstayed their welcome long ago in my book. But while the Simpsons was fun, I never loved it like I love Celtic Woman. Not even close.

The Phantom of the Opera debuted on Broadway in 1988, and on the West End two years earlier. Of course the cast has changed over time, but that's been almost exactly the same show for 30 years. I don't think people ever got tired of that (granted, it's not a touring show like Celtic Woman, so it's not quite the same thing).

I still love Celtic Woman, more than just about anything. I do wish they'do more new songs. The new ones on the Destiny and Homecoming tours were all so good!

I honestly don't feel like this group or their act are tired.

The fact that all the girls are at roughly the same point in their personal lives is a concern. I don't know if management is prepared to turn over all 4 girls in the span of a few years or not, especially now that Dave Kavanagh, David Downes, and Sharon Browne are all gone (David Downes is doing his own thing and I think Sharon Browne is still with Celtic Thunder).

The album sales have definitely slipped a bit recently, but Voices of Angels was mostly re-arrangements of old songs, the Homecoming album was almost the same as Voices of Angels but for a few songs, and The Best of Christmas was a compilation album. Even so, those albums are still doing really well, just not with the same level of dominance they used to. All-new material may still have a really strong showing.

All good things, even the best things, come to an end. One day Celtic Woman will too. But I really hope the end is still a long way off for Celtic Woman. They're all so talented, they have so much more still to offer, and I love them so much. <3

Tara Forum (@TaraMcNeilForum)
http://www.taramcneillforum.com/
https://www.facebook.com/TaraMcNeillForum/

CaraNua Fans (@CaraNuaFans)

Candy Canadiana (@candycanfans)
https://www.facebook.com/CandyCanFans
The Quiet Man

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 11:39AM »

Yup, more than a few TV shows have overstayed their welcome: NYPD Blue, ER, JAG, CSI and probably both of the spin-offs, and I am beginning to think Criminal Minds is getting there, and maybe it's almost time for Olivia Benson to take her retirement from the NYPD.  Phantom is kinda apples and oranges, it's been the same show all the time and it doesn't actually tour.  I don't think the current soloists are tired, BUT I do think the act is beginning to find its limits as to how much it can change and still keep the audience.  I do think some of the fanbase may have moved on, but that's normal. 

I see we both agree that having all the soloists in pretty much the same place, and, putting it politely, especially this place in their personal lives is a concern.  As I said in another post, it isn't the organization's place to tell any soloist what she can or can't do in her personal life, BUT it is very much the organization's place to tell the soloists you get this much leave before you have to return or be replaced.  Of course I'd like to see the organization be supportive of its members, however, they can only hold a spot open for so long.  I doubt it's likely to come to a conflict, though, presumably everyone knows their plans and they discuss them so there are few surprises. The act survived the huge turnover from 09-12 where five soloists came or went, so quien sabe'?
Kevin R.I.
Featured Soloist

my two favorite green eyed ladies

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 03:01PM »

I must admit that PPAC was FULL when I saw the ladies and they got a LOOOOOONG standing ovation.....so hopefully that will give them the impetus to continue. When I told Tara that this was my 8th show, she said "that`s a lot!" I told her"if you keep singing, I`ll keep coming"...I think 99% of the CW fans would feel the same.

thanks EVI

Hi Kev, I sneeked into your account as you know, wanted to say: love you!!!!

Love, Evi.
mattycakes
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 03:53PM »

The thing is, Celtic Woman still has SO many untapped Irish songs they could cover! Fields Of Athenry, The Holy Ground, Phil The Fluther's Ball, and SO much more! Destiny was a wonderful album that proved Celtic Woman was still relevant and that the new management could still make something out of the show without David Downes. Westering Home still remains one of my all-time favorite group songs CW has ever done!

That being said, they seem to going through the same post-Believe issues. After Believe came Emerald, a rehash of old songs. And the post Believe Tour CW felt tired. In the same way, the post Destiny Tour CW feels tired, but only from lack of new material. Homecoming's setlist has really added some great new material for CW. I think that if they throw out some of the old favorites and replace them with new songs that can easily become fan favorites, they'll be fine!

For example, the new Mo Ghile Mear has grown on me a lot. I like it and want them to keep it. Plus the English verses are more in line with the traditional words  of the song which make the traditionalists happy. Danny Boy is a staple so I don't see it leaving anytime soon. But the new arrangement is different from the old ones and it works well with the string accompaniement. Throw out Dulaman. The new isn't as good as the old and it's tired anyway. Get rid of TAR and replace it with another fun song like Phil The Fluther's Ball or Whiskey In The Jar. And Amazing Grace (their #1 song on YouTube) could be replaced with How Great Thou Art. I personally would LOVE to hear the girls cover that!

The new songs are fantastic! I'll be posting some vids for you guys soon that someone uploaded of the actual concert. Go check out the Spring Tour 2018 Vids page!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 04:00PM by mattycakes » Logged
White Rose
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 07:55PM »

Oh, How Great Thou Art would be good. When I saw them last month, I liked the new solos. At the same time, the show did seem a bit tired. It really does come down to needing new songs. There are so many traditional Irish songs they haven't done. I think them doing a majority of new songs would make a significant improvement.
mattycakes
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2018, 08:23PM »

That's my thinking too. I think they need to bring out some new material. From what I saw on YouTube, their new material is AWESOME!!! I LOVE Murphy's Ballroom Of Romance!
John910

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 10:12PM »

How about "The Unicorn Song"?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: