Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Music of Ireland--Welcome Home  (Read 32391 times)
bot1tle
Total Fanatic

« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2010, 07:20AM »

excellent find, Maggie
Thanks, Bill

Here's the PBS Schedule for each State:
http://www.musicofireland.com/Broadcast/tabid/689/Default.aspx

if you miss the first showing or want to see it again, the stations usually show it again in the early morning hours
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 04:21PM by bot1tle » Logged
MikeyK
Honorary Roadie

Proud Chloëver

« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2010, 10:35PM »

Just finished watching it. It was awesome! I got to learn about artists I didn't know a lot about, and was even able to hear some new music. I'll probably be donating to get the CDs and DVD next week. Can't wait for part 2!
CelticWomanFan425
Honorary Roadie

I saw Meav perform for the 1st time on 3/10/15

« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2010, 02:19PM »

I watched it on St. Patricks Day and i thought it was awesome!

I met David Downes,Susan McFadden, Lynn, Lisa K(2x), Eabha, Mairead N, Mairead C, Chloe(2x), Lisa Lambe(2x), Orla, Anthony Byrne & Sarah Gannon, Edel Chan Murphy, Ewan Cowley (2x) & Roisin Dempsey.
Sarah
Honorary Roadie

Irish at heart<3

« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2010, 02:32PM »

The music is wonderful!

I had the privilege to watch the PBS special.  I stayed up until... uhh?  I really don't recall anymore... 11pm... midnight on st, Patty's day to watch it.. ORLAGH... a second and a half of her talking Cheesy... well more like 4... MAHAHAHA.

those kids near the ending. were amazing!

i could go on and on!

<3Sarah<3
<I FINALLY got to meet THE Lisa Kelly and Mairead Nesbitt at my very first M&G!>

AY made these lovely banners for me Smiley TY AY!
CWLisaFan
Choir Member

Life is good. :)

« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2010, 02:42PM »

The music is wonderful!

I had the privilege to watch the PBS special.  I stayed up until... uhh?  I really don't recall anymore... 11pm... midnight on st, Patty's day to watch it.. ORLAGH... a second and a half of her talking Cheesy... well more like 4... MAHAHAHA.

those kids near the ending. were amazing!

i could go on and on!

Kath told you about it!!   Tongue Tongue

We watched it with our mom on St. Patrick's Day as well!  It was really interesting and I'm glad I got a chance to watch it!  (and see Orlagh, even though she was on for a grand total of maybe 10 seconds!!!)

Feeling so lucky for having met Lisa, Lynn, Chloe, Mairead & Orlagh!!

Ready for Symphony and Believe!!!
Jason

« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2010, 02:54PM »

Ahh.. I wish my stinky PBS would air it! So many of my favorite musicians!

Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2010, 03:04PM »

There is a copy of the Barnes & Noble Exclusive Deluxe Edition on Ebay.  The seller has 10 available.  There is a dvd and a cd in the package.  (Ebay Item number 310207531355)
CD track 6 is "Forgotten" by one Orla Fallon.    (Hmmm - I've heard of her)  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 03:47PM by Jim M. » Logged
greenfire6
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2010, 11:33AM »

Moya Brennan and Denny Young have hit the ball out of the park with this documentary. I think its fabulous. It tells the story with one priceless clip of archival footage and fresh on camera interviews after another. Even if you only care about Celtic Woman your going to want to own this Part 1 before Part 2 comes out.

This DVD/CD is not expensive from Barnes and Noble. Shamelessly plugging Órla's Garden  Wink  you can link to B & Ns online store here:

http://orlasgarden.com/discography.html

Surprisingly the PBS broadcast version is even better than the DVD. (At least the KNPB broadcast I saw). The two national PBS pledgepersons are identified as Laura Savini and David Rubinsohn. Poor David dosen't get to do anything cool. For some reason Laura gets all the extra converstions with Moya, John Sheahan, additional music, bits of Irish history, etc.

I hope everyone can catch the broadcast version. If you do please hang with Laura! You will see some really great stuff imbedded within her pledge segments.
bot1tle
Total Fanatic

« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2010, 06:08PM »

has part 2 aired Huh?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 08:12AM by bot1tle » Logged
CWazyTom
Honorary Roadie

One CWazy Canadian! Chlovër for life!

« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2018, 10:38PM »

Some notes about the DVDs...

Music of Ireland DVD Part 1: Welcome Home

The involvement of Celtic Woman performers is brief. The group isn't shown together or mentioned by name in Part 1. Mairead and Orla appear very briefly in footage near the start of the DVD. Orla also speaks briefly during the Creative Influences segment of the DVD.

The DVD is essentially about the evolution and propagation of Irish music during the 20th century. It's hosted by Moya Brennan. It was actually quite interesting and I did learn / re-learn a few things when I watched it. Some of the music I actually haven't heard before. You may get more or less out of it depending on your level of knowledge on the subject. It's effective as a documentary, but watching it probably isn't going to be a life-changing experience. It's worth getting if you can get it at a reasonable price after shipping, but it's not a "must have" item.

The bonus material is essentially a video brochure of some places in Ireland. Most of the focus is on obscure places off the beaten path. I understand they were trying to draw attention to some nice places that potential tourists wouldn't otherwise think about, but personally, I think most of those places would be for people that have been to Ireland a lot and have seen most of the major attractions already. Some of the sub-segments consisted of someone talking about how nice the place they grew up was while a bunch of nice scenery was shown. It's enjoyable, but it wouldn't be very useful for someone actually planning a trip to Ireland for the first time.

If you're thinking of getting the DVD just to see some of the Celtic Woman performers, that alone is probably not worth it. If you're looking to add Celtic Woman fringe-materials to your collection, there are plenty of other Celtic Woman related works that could take precedence.

Music of Ireland DVD Part 2: Welcome to America

This DVD features a bit more of Celtic Woman, although it's still a pretty small part of the DVD.

Orla talks for a bit in the Coast to Coast segment. She has a very soothing aura, whether she's talking or singing.

The Deep Rooted Inspirations segment has the most Celtic Woman content. It includes interviews with Mairead Nesbitt, David Downes, and Orla. They don't say anything we haven't heard them say in other interviews over the years. It also has a few clips from the original Celtic Woman show at the Helix (Meav, Lisa Kelly, Chloë, Orla, and Mairead Nesbitt), as well as some clips from Songs from the Heart (Lisa Kelly, Chloë, Lynn, Alex, and Mairead Nesbitt ... you might be able to see Amy Rivard in the background if you look really carefully). There weren't any clips from A New Journey or Hayley ... or Deirdre. I'm sure they had their reasons.

Like Part 1, the documentary in Part 2 covers some of the key acts in Irish music. Part 2 focuses on more recent acts. It was informative, but personally, I found Part 1 even more interesting, since I knew less about some of the Irish music during the 50s-70s.

The bonus features on Part 2: Welcome to America are excellent, quite possibly the best part of either DVD. The bonus features are live songs (with some interview portions as well) with some Irish acts:
- Slide: this was a fast-paced and really fun number
- Screaming Orphans: They performed Farewell to the Life of a Rover on a couch. It really enjoyed the harmony. I don't know that much about the group, but the woman on the right looked pretty uncomfortable at times, possibly because they asked her on the spot to sing the part she normally plays on the accordion.
- Dervish: This was a head-bobbing mid-tempo reel.
- Damien Dempsey: This was definitely different. I'll say this, he sings with his heart.
- Margaret Healy: This was a softer song. It was nice.

Overall

If you have to choose between Part 1 and 2, it depends on your taste, I suppose. Part 2 has more of Celtic Woman, though neither part has enough to justify getting the DVDs solely for that purpose (unless your Celtic Woman collection has progressed deep into their fringe works because you already have all the other group and solo concert DVDs). Part 1 is potentially more informative (depends on whether or not you grew up with that music or are already familiar with Irish music history). The collection of music and the range of artists covered in both DVDs is good. Personally, I enjoyed the music in the main documentary of Part 1 slightly more than the main documentary of Part 2, though I did greatly enjoy the bonus songs in Part 2.

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed the writeup and maybe this will be helpful to someone some day as so many of the writeups on this forum have been helpful to me over the years.

Tara Forum (@TaraMcNeilForum)
http://www.taramcneillforum.com/
https://www.facebook.com/TaraMcNeillForum/

CaraNua Fans (@CaraNuaFans)

Candy Canadiana (@candycanfans)
https://www.facebook.com/CandyCanFans
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: