Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Next Christmas CD and Show!  (Read 40539 times)
Celeste

« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2007, 12:14AM »

Also, please go easy on me, but there are some traditional Polish and Slovak carols, which can be translated into other languages. The tunes themselves are beautiful and I bet with David's arrangements and the ladies singing they would just be magnificent.

I haven't been able to get this idea out of my head ever since I read it. I listened to some of the carols again today, and the more I think about it, the more perfect I believe it would be.

True, Polish carols don't have Celtic roots, but at least they are genuine Christmas carols (unlike "Let it Snow," for example, which, while I loved the performance, isn't even a carol at all, and has nothing to do with Christmas). Plus, they're extremely beautiful.

Here are a few music excerpts from three of the finest Polish carols (about 30 or 40 seconds each), for those who have Real Player installed.

Z Narodzenia Pana   (With the birth of our Lord)
http://www.polishmusic.ca/skok/cds/polskie/sound/m/mazowsze/kol_pn10/06_m_znp.ram

Dzisiaj w Betlejem   (Today in Betlehem)
http://www.polishmusic.ca/skok/cds/polskie/sound/m/mazowsze/kol_pn10/07_m_dwb.ram

Bóg sie rodzi  (The Lord is born)
http://www.polishmusic.ca/skok/cds/polskie/sound/m/mazowsze/kol_pn10/01_m_bsr.ram

Notice the interplay between the lyrical angelic female voices, and the sublime baritone-bass male voices. Celtic Woman could make much of this.

You can also watch Z Narodzenia Pana performed by a Polish boys' choir here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1TbdIfIsmQ

The video quality is terrible, but you get the sense of the beauty of the carol; and just imagine CW performing the boys' parts (since they're in the high voice range).

I found an interesting write-up about them online:

Polish Christmas carols are almost all anonymous, having been composed by the people. Their origins date from the fourteen century, many from the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries...The Polish carol has an essentially folk song character, which makes it specifically national. The melodies are characteristically Polish - cheerful, tender, even humorous - typical of the Polish peasant or mountaineer. There is a native unconscious poetry about all of them. The Infant Jesus, poor and homeless, born in a stable surrounded by the familiar domestic animals, appeals to the heart and the imagination of all peoples. Polish Christmas carols may be divided into three kinds - religious, legendary, and imaginative. The religious, among the most beautiful and profound in feeling of all Polish hymns, owe their origin to monks in cloisters....
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 07:54PM by Celeste » Logged

John910

« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2007, 07:50PM »

Not to get too far off track, but this morning on my polka show on WUSR,the University of Scranton radio station. (I am an alumnus from there and I have been doing the show since 1997). I featured Polish, Slovak, and Ukrainian carols. One cd I have features 3 sisters singing Ukrainian carols.

I also saw that "Carol of the Bells" is a Ukrainian carol.

Also I told one of the priests, who is also involved with the station, to program tracks from the Celtic Woman Christmas cd to play on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. I'll probably stop by to help him out.

Also at the news/talk station where I work, I'll be producing the talk shows on Christmas Eve morning and will use Celtic Woman as bumper music going back into the show after some of the commercial breaks.
celtic_girlakp
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2008, 09:17PM »

Oh that is awesome. Celtic Woman after a commercial on the radio would be so nice to hear every now and again.
loveCW

« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2008, 07:53AM »

Il est Ne would be good. Traditional French Carol.

Decode....

Integrity.Love.Unity.
Bodhrán Player

So let's go on, let's go on, on and on for love

« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2008, 12:48PM »

I'd like to hear Christmas In Killarney, and O Little Town Of Bethlehem, the way Amy Grant sang it.

YayBabySeals

« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2008, 09:19AM »

I definitely agree with "O Little Town of Bethlehem"...my all-time favorite Christmas carol! Would be gorgeous with all of the girls on it, and definitely throw in some Orla harp solos too!

There is also a beautiful Austrian carol called "Still, Still, Still" that I think CW would do an amazing job of. It's such a peaceful, gentle song, like a lullaby, about awaiting the birth of Jesus on Christmas Day. My favorite version (although I'm biased, hehe) is the one done by the choir at my school, Bucknell University, at their Christmas Candlelight concert in the chapel every year. I wish I could find it on YouTube, but here's the Mannheim Steamroller version of it, which is also pretty good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBKh6Igctz4
Jeanine
Honorary Roadie

Christmas Symphony Tour was WONderful!!

« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2008, 11:22PM »

"Still, Still, Still"~  I'm familiar with that carol.  It is not very well-known, but it is beautiful.  It would indeed be wonderful, beautiful, etc. for CW to do it . . . *whispers* 'Wow!'  Just imagining how it could sound with their voices almost gives me shivers.

"Come to Me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." - Jesus Christ
(Matthew 11:28)
The Quiet Man

« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2008, 09:38AM »

I had an idea myself for a new show with a possible CD, let me know what you think:

CHRISTMAS GLORY

Featuring the Ladies of Celtic Woman
Eirean Festival Orchestra and Chorus (a touring ensemble David Downes put together)

The stage would be set with a Christmas tree to either side and a large wreath in back, all with red and green lights, and prop shiny packages under the trees.

For the first half the girls would all wear white and gold dresses with full skirts and gold heels.

Angels From the Realms of Glory: All

Still, Still, Still: Chloe

I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day: Lynn

The Holly and the Ivy: All

Do You Hear What I Hear?: Lisa, Alex

Lo, How a Rose: All

Lord of the Dance: Mairead

O Little Town of Bethlehem: Lisa

The Coventry Carol: All

The Little Road to Bethlehem: Chloe

Tomorrow Shall Be My Dancing Day: All

Intermission

(For the second half Lisa and Meav would wear shades of green, the other vocalists shades of red, and Mairead a combination of both, all with matching heels, of course.

White Christmas: All

Holly Jolly Christmas: Lisa

Silver Bells: Chloe

Dingle Set/Walsh’s Hornpipe: Mairead

Fum, Fum, Fum: All

Winter Wonderland: Alex

There’s No Place Like Home for the Holidays: Lynn

I’ll Be Home for Christmas: Lisa

Santa Claus is Comin’ To Town: Chloe, Lynn

Christmas in Killarney: All

Hark the Herald Angels Sing: All

We Wish You a Merry Christmas: All

Joy to the World: All

Any additional ideas?
John910

« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2008, 02:05AM »

the "Shepherd's Pipe Carol", I came across it this past year.

also "O Bambino(One Cold and Blessed Winter)",

"Ballad of the Christmas Donkey", "Christmas Dream"
sioned

celtaholic, pleidiol rwyf im gwlad,cymru

« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2008, 06:57PM »

angels we have heard on high i like that one would be a nice duet Smiley

Music is the light,that shines and guides your soul.Embrace it with every fiber in your being!!!!

I'r sawl a roddaf lawer , bydd disgwyl llawer ganddynt.

thanx to scott for the banner Cheesy
ChloeAgnewfan
Honorary Roadie

the only

« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2008, 09:05PM »

'What Child is This?' second favorite christmas song, second only to 'Little Drummer Boy.' Smiley

Thanks Jeff and Snookie for the banners!
edanargu

Celtic Woman fan from Mexico!

« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2009, 12:16AM »

We wish you a Merry Christmas
Joy to the World
Jingle Bells
O Come Emannuel
Deck the halls
Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer
Santa Clause is coming to tonw
Winter Wonderland
Mary, Did You Know?
Jingle Bells Rock
Holly Jolly Christmas

And I think some christmas song in Gaelic. well, not actuallt Gaelic, they should sing in other easy languages..

Celtic Woman do not know borders. They also live inside the heart of a Mexican fan.
raven_christina
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2009, 03:13PM »

Ok, waking up a dead thread but I'm kinda bored...
I would love to hear some medieval carols.
"Riu Riu Chiu"
"Gaudete"
"Twas in the Moon of Wintertime"
"Lo, How A Rose 'er Blooming"
"Psalite"
They all have some very nice harmonies on them, which we know our girls could tackle. Also, I'd like to hear O Come Emanuel (think of Chloe singing "and ransom captive Israel" just sent shivers down my spine").
elena

« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2009, 03:57PM »

This topic was started a while ago, here is the link...there may be some other songs not listed on this one.

http://www.celticwomanforum.com/index.php?topic=4288.msg153619#msg153619

beckyw

« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2009, 06:03PM »

Are they for sure going to do another Christmas cd?   

Hello by the way.  This is my first post. 

Some people come into our lives and quickly go.  Some stay for awhile, leave footprints on our hearts and we are never ever the same.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: