Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ancient Land Album & DVD  (Read 28834 times)
CWazyTom
Honorary Roadie

One CWazy Canadian! Chlovër for life!

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2018, 03:58PM »

Funny thing : today, I went to the french iTunes store to see if I could listen to some of the album's tracks and...

The album is not listed anymore ! Did iTunes jump the gun, or what ? I pre-ordered is, of course, but now, I don't know if it will be available when they said it would be. As I said, funny.

That's odd.

It's still listed on iTunes and Amazon in North America with expected date of Sept 28, 2018. Maybe a regional issue with releasing on that date?

Tara Forum (@TaraMcNeilForum)
http://www.taramcneillforum.com/
https://www.facebook.com/TaraMcNeillForum/

CaraNua Fans (@CaraNuaFans)

Candy Canadiana (@candycanfans)
https://www.facebook.com/CandyCanFans
Danny

Boys will be boys.

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2018, 01:29PM »

Funny thing : today, I went to the french iTunes store to see if I could listen to some of the album's tracks and...

The album is not listed anymore ! Did iTunes jump the gun, or what ? I pre-ordered is, of course, but now, I don't know if it will be available when they said it would be. As I said, funny.

same issue here on German iTunes as well as on amazon.de...  Sad

ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

let it carry me through darkest night

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2018, 08:49PM »

Despite my worries, it is on German Spotify, so I suppose iTunes and Amazon will add it later on! It's amazing, by the way!

ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2018, 02:23AM »

Aaaand they deleted it. Great.

Update: It's on YouTube. Unavailable in some countries, but a YT unblocker or downloader should fix that. Exceptional album, really. My favourite of the last years. In fact, not counting the Christmas albums which have a special place in my heart, this one is very likely to become my third favourite, after A New Journey and Celtic Woman.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 04:54AM by ShiningBright » Logged

White Rose
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2018, 06:43AM »

I just bought the mp3 album on Amazon. The physical copy isn't available yet. I'm not going to get a chance to listen to it until later because I'll have to be driving somewhere before it's over, dang it!

https://www.amazon.com/Ancient-Land-Celtic-Woman/dp/B07H7VZJ3Y
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 06:51AM by White Rose » Logged
White Rose
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2018, 10:48AM »

So the first half is pretty Celtic and the second half is not so much. And yes, Sive is Sadhbh Ní Bhruinneallaigh. I'm hoping The Enchanted Way and Ballroom of Romance end up on iTunes when the physical album is released.

Megan fits in really, really well.

I remember they did Ancient Land, Homeland, Sive, Long Journey Home, Tara's Tunes, and Going Home on tour this year.
ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2018, 11:13AM »

I just now listened to it fully, and I have the following to say about it:

I like it very much, but I still have some mixed feelings about it. I actually liked it more when just listening to bits of the songs, rather than the whole album. Not that I don't like it - it's one of their best albums of the last years. Some of the songs are exceptionally beautiful, especially Women of Ireland and Ae Fond Kiss. The songs are very traditional, very little pop, which is a great plus in my opinion, and the line up fits together very, very well. Megan sounds as though she'd been with the group for years, and all performers have very equal positions, nobody taking over the "leading" role. The album is very balanced, almost too balanced, as the arrangements blend with each other beautifully, but a little bit too smoothly. There is no real highlight, no real vibrance or power or joy throughout the entire album. That's my only complaint and that's been my complaint ever since David Downes left. Gavin Murphy is very skilled and I don't want to talk badly about him, but he doesn't have, well, whatever it is that Downes has. The music of Celtic Woman has matured, it is sleeker, smoother, and more controlled than its ever been. It's not very characteristic anymore, which is mentioned often by other fans, and usually - sadly, and incorrectly! - blamed on the new women. I've always been open to changes in the group, and I day say, it's usually much easier for a fan to deal with the change of a man behind the scenes, rather than the women on stage, but while I admire Murphy's arrangements and compositions for Celtic Woman as beautiful pieces of music, they never really clicked with me the way Celtic Woman usually did and should do. This album is a big improvement from Destiny, which was very good, but also unelegant (I'm not really counting Voices of Angels and Homecoming, since those are basically best ofs with a few new songs) but it still has its, for the lack of a better word, exhaustion. It's not as intense or powerful as Celtic Woman used to be, and I would like to mention, that I don't mean this in regards to the speed or volume of the songs. Its something beyond the actual music that I can't really describe. The instruments are very well-arranged, and the choir is beautiful. I also like how Megan's voice filled a sort of gap between Éabha and Mairéad's voices, in terms of range and volume, which gave the vocals on the group songs a lot of body and depth. Doing new versions of fiddle solos as vocal songs was a very nice idea, which already worked very well with In the Bleak Midwinter. I already mentioned Women of Ireland, but I would like to say again that I really love that song, always wanted them to sing it, and very much like their version - the arrangement is lovely, and surprisingly unusual, considering my complaint about Murphy's style just a few lines above. It's definitely his best arrangement in my opinion so far. That, and Moonlough Shore, which also had very good instrumentals. My favourite solos, respectively, were Ae Fond Kiss,, Moonlough Shore, Shenandoah and Love & Honor, my favourite group songs, aside from the one I've mentioned twice, were Going Home, Long Journey Home, and Be Still. The weakest song, in my opinion, was Homeland. Aside from the Christmas albums, which are very dear to me, I'd say this is my third favourite album, after A New Journey and Celtic Woman. It's a very calming album, a very - a funny word for music - elegant. And the group sounds incredible together!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 11:19AM by ShiningBright » Logged

White Rose
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2018, 11:28AM »

I don't feel like exhaustion's the right word, but I don't know what I would substitute for it. I think that was a better word for this year's tour, with so few new songs. Murphy's arrangements are a lot more, er, traditional and plain than David's were. They don't have that tightness and uniqueness.
ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2018, 11:57AM »

Yes, it's a bad word. I guess what I mean is that... everything is as good as before, in matters of quality. The voices are beautiful, so are the instruments, the songs chosen, everything. Gavin Murphy is a very skilled musician. And yet, ever since David Downes left and he took his place, something sounds different, and I can't say "this or that is wrong" because nothing of that sort really is. It's not even that they are plain - some of David's songs are arranged in an almost minimalistic way, and some of Gavin Murphy's have a big orchestra and some really unusual sounds and ideas in between. They are amazingly good, there are some of his arrangements that I even prefer over David's. And yet, something very often feels somehow "off." As though some kind of special energy and intensity was lacking, but not in how fast or loud of full the music is. It's like David Downes always put a melody beneath the one we actually hear, some sound of hidden power that makes them what they are, while Gavin Murphy's music simply is the music it is. Ancient Land is the first album to somehow break out of this, with Long Journey Home, for example. But it's only now touching the surface. Destiny had very good songs and arrangements, but it was at the same time underwhelmingly flat and jolty. Voices of Angels (and Homecoming) was very polished and elegant, and mature, every sound matching the one before. Some of the new arrangements of older songs - like Mo Ghile Mear or Dúlaman - are good example of what I mean: they are even faster and louder, and more complex than the original arrangements, absolutely gorgeous, too, and fitting the songs very well, but at the same time they feel somehow less energized, less lively. It doesn't make sense, but that's what I feel. Another thing I feel is that David Downes basically "tailored" the songs to fit the singers (and the fiddler) while Gavin Murphy does the opposite, making the performers - who are doing their best - adjust to the arrangements he makes. Of course, that's only speculation, based on my impression, since I don't know what's going on inside their heads and really don't want to make any sort of insinuation.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 12:00PM by ShiningBright » Logged

White Rose
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2018, 12:06PM »

Another thing I feel is that David Downes basically "tailored" the songs to fit the singers (and the fiddler) while Gavin Murphy does the opposite, making the performers - who are doing their best - adjust to the arrangements he makes.

That's an excellent way to put it! Yes, yes, yes I agree 100%. Like you said, this is all speculation, but I feel like Gavin Murphy hears an arrangement in his head, but not with the performers' specific voices in mind. David definitely tailored the music to the voices.

I'm listening to the album again but on shuffle this time to see if it makes it helps.

ETA: Shuffle helps a lot. Listen to it out of order!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 06:13PM by White Rose » Logged
ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2018, 04:50AM »

This is funny, because I've had a similar experience - before I actually got around listening to the whole album, I listened to the songs randomly on my mp3 player, out of curiousity. It didn't feel as flat then. On the other hand, I got to say, that I always prefer the live recoridngs of CW of the studio ones and I am very excited about the dvd!

White Rose
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2018, 04:58PM »

It's grown on me a *lot*. I love it now!
barb kantartzis
Total Fanatic

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2018, 02:07PM »

Hmm I know this may not be the most popular post but it’s just my thoughts on the new cd! I have some mixed feeling on it. I love faster paced music as I’m a runner/ fast walker, so this is a slower cd. That being said I love slower songs to bring my mood level and what not and this is a perfect cd for that and even more special that all the songs are new and some are written by eabha and Meav! I love the ancient land song, homecoming, dive and my fave is follow me (would love to know the lyrics as can understand and make out some but had no time to translate!). I will post and let everyone know once I do! They could have easily added somewhere over the rainbow and Murphy’s ballroom of romance and it would have been perfect!! But this was just my thought and I am sure I will love the whole cd just like the other Celtic woman cds!! And hope to go to Akron and see them
Next year or even better hopefully they come to clevelabd fingers crossed! Can’t wait!
On an interesting side note... someone had videoed and posted the whole night one of the taping on YouTube. Not the best quality by a long shot! But from what I saw of it, it looks like it’s going to be amazing when the dvd comes out! But 2 things though... one it looks like they were nervous (not so much Megan or Tara) but also a mix of maybe being cold too?? And 2. The stage seems small. They looked cozy up their though! And I noticed a time or two in the video that eabha’s foot might have slipped off the stage, but she made it look like it was supposed to happen!! Still amazing though and can’t wait! Ok just listens to more and forgot to say loved Tara’s tune and mna na eireinn!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 05:36PM by barb kantartzis » Logged

I I I I hear your voice on the wind, and I I I I hear you call out my name, listen my child you say to me I am the voice of your history be not afraid come follow me answer my call and i'll set you frrreeeee!!!!!!!
CWazyTom
Honorary Roadie

One CWazy Canadian! Chlovër for life!

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2018, 06:18PM »

Hmm I know this may not be the most popular post but it’s just my thoughts on the new cd! I have some mixed feeling on it. I love faster paced music as I’m a runner/ fast walker, so this is a slower cd. That being said I love slower songs to bring my mood level and what not and this is a perfect cd for that and even more special that all the songs are new and some are written by eabha and Meav! I love the ancient land song, homecoming, dive and my fave is follow me (would love to know the lyrics as can understand and make out some but had no time to translate!). I will post and let everyone know once I do! They could have easily added somewhere over the rainbow and Murphy’s ballroom of romance and it would have been perfect!! But this was just my thought and I am sure I will love the whole cd just like the other Celtic woman cds!! And hope to go to Akron and see them
Next year or even better hopefully they come to clevelabd fingers crossed! Can’t wait!
On an interesting side note... someone had videoed and posted the whole night one of the taping on YouTube. Not the best quality by a long shot! But from what I saw of it, it looks like it’s going to be amazing when the dvd comes out! But 2 things though... one it looks like they were nervous (not so much Megan or Tara) but also a mix of maybe being cold too?? And 2. The stage seems small. They looked cozy up their though! And I noticed a time or two in the video that eabha’s foot might have slipped off the stage, but she made it look like it was supposed to happen!! Still amazing though and can’t wait! Ok just listens to more and forgot to say loved Tara’s tune and mna na eireinn!

The stage was damp both nights, especially on the second night. It was pretty cold both nights. Megan was a little nervous on the first night but she handled it and powered through it so well. I think all the girls were nervous, but both shows were really, really good!

Tara Forum (@TaraMcNeilForum)
http://www.taramcneillforum.com/
https://www.facebook.com/TaraMcNeillForum/

CaraNua Fans (@CaraNuaFans)

Candy Canadiana (@candycanfans)
https://www.facebook.com/CandyCanFans
barb kantartzis
Total Fanatic

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2018, 12:44AM »

On an interesting side note... someone had videoed and posted the whole night one of the taping on YouTube. Not the best quality by a long shot! But from what I saw of it, it looks like it’s going to be amazing when the dvd comes out! But 2 things though... one it looks like they were nervous (not so much Megan or Tara) but also a mix of maybe being cold too?? And 2. The stage seems small. They looked cozy up their though! And I noticed a time or two in the video that eabha’s foot might have slipped off the stage, but she made it look like it was supposed to happen!! Still amazing though and can’t wait! Ok just listens to more and forgot to sayloved Tara’s tune and mna na eireinn! The stage was damp both nights, especially on the second night. It was pretty cold both nights. Megan was a little nervous on the first night but she handled it and powered through it so well. I think all the girls were nervous, but both shows were really, really good!
[/quote

The stage was damp both nights, especially on the second night. It was pretty cold both nights. Megan was a little nervous on the first night but she handled it and powered through it so well. I think all the girls were nervous, but both shows were really, really good!
oh ok I heard about that too and I tap dance on tile so I know how it feels to be on something slippery, especially w dance shoes or heels, it’s scary!! But Megan looked cool as a cucumber and excited!! And once it got going they looked like they were all having a good time!! And I’m sure it will be amazing once put together!! Smiley

I I I I hear your voice on the wind, and I I I I hear you call out my name, listen my child you say to me I am the voice of your history be not afraid come follow me answer my call and i'll set you frrreeeee!!!!!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: