Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ancient Land - My review  (Read 2823 times)
Excalibur

« on: October 04, 2018, 01:16PM »

Hi guys Smiley I thought I'd share my initial thoughts on this album after a couple of days listening to it.

First of all, I must say I had great expectations for this one after two albums with little to zero new material. This has always been a very important thing for me, I always thought one of the biggest problems with CW in the last few years has been the lack of previously unreleased songs. Both in the David Downes' and Gavin Murphy's ages, we've seen many songs disappear after a few weeks on tour and never make it to an album, while other songs have been recorded multiple (read: too many) times, in my opinion just as fillers. This is to say that I was quite thrilled when I found out that Ancient Land would have featured new material, even if part of it was already performed during the Homecoming tour, but that's fine, it was the same with ANJ, SFTH and Believe. A couple of songs are vocal versions of traditional tunes that used to be played by Mairead Nesbitt on her fiddle, so that is also ok with me (My Lagan Love in the original show and SFTH went through the same process, beautifully).
That said, my overall impression with Ancient Land is quite positive: I'm always happy when the girls and the band of Celtic Woman actually record and play Celtic music instead of going too far from their roots. I don't mind when they do some classical piece (I actually quite enjoy those) or contemporary songs, but sometimes it sounds a little too much, especially if the 'Celtic twist' of the arrangement is not very very peculiar. In this case, most of the songs have a very strong Irish feel, most of them are actually traditional and there's a lot of Gaelic lyrics which is another thing I've always wished for in previous albums.
The only problem with Ancient Land, in my opinion, is in some of the arrangements. I won't be going in details about the difference between Downes and Murphy, because you don't compare two different musicians just as you wouldn't compare an eagle to a bear: both are fantastic and have their own strenghts and weaknesses.
My impression is, however, that some of Murphy's arrangements for this album may use a little more complexity and/or power. This goes especially for some of the solos, which are often slow songs, so IMHO it's crucial to provide something interesting in the background while the singer delivers the melody. Since we're talking about melancholic ballads, the singing can't be too powerful so the music should fill that 'void', not always of course but a richer sound would make a difference. A larger use of the choir would also help, think about solos like "Harry's Game" or "Newgrange" which would be very boring if not for that beautiful, layered wall of voices. I don't think Murphy isn't capable of doing that, he does pretty good in his arrangements of Skyrim, Amazing Grace, Dulaman, etcetera, so I think the problem is just that he doesn't do it a little bit more, whilst Downes used to do it basically all the time.

Ancient Land - as an opening track, I think it gives us a good idea of the overall theme and mood of the album. I don't dislike it, but I don't think it will become one of my favourite CW tunes. Most opening songs or tracks have always been quite mysterious or powerful, this one is a little plain instead. I suppose it's alright to have something different for a change. I would have preferred something more similar to the Homecoming Lament, perhaps with the fiddle as a lead instead of the pipes? I like the simple choir with the Gaelic lyrics.

Homeland - I love this song and since the first time I heard it I hoped it would end up in an album. I was almost shocked when I discovered it wasn't an original CW song, as I think it fits the group perfectly! It's very in live with the current style of the group and it has the kind of rich sound and power that I was talking about, without overdoing it. It reminds me a little bit of Sing Out. Sad to not hear Susan in this, but I must say that I really like Megan's voice: though she's a soprano, her voice seems to have some darker tones and her vibrato is more aligned with Eabha's and Mairead's.

Moorlough Shore - Eabha has been the luckiest girl when it comes to this album's solos. This song is just perfect for her voice, as most of traditional Irish tunes. I would have preferred to hear her sings The Foggy Dew, which has the same melody, but I suppose it would have been too dark for the show. The arrangement has a contemporary sound and though we don't have a big crescendo, it's not boring at all.

Follow Me - this may be my ultimate favourite song of the album. I love the tempo, the lyrics, the arrangement, the choir, everything! I think it's safe to say that everything Meav touches becomes gold Cheesy Plus, as a pagan I'm extremely happy to hear the name of Manannan Mac Lir in the lyrics... Megan's part at 2:30 always gives me chills! I do hope Meav will record this song as a solo for her next album, it would be marvelous!

County Down - Mairead's voice is undoubtely always beautiful and soothing, and this song suits these features very well. I like the melody and the lyrics, but this is one of the cases where a richer arrangement would have been helpful. It kind of reminds me her first solo album Songbook, which she basically disowned because it didn't reflect her style: well, it's not too different, isn't it? I admit that the final part has a little more power and passion, but Mairead's voice is capable of sooo much more.

Love & Honour - this is a typical fiddle solo for Tara, it's nice that CW has broken the "rule" of having almost all fast instrumental songs on the albums. I think Tara really shines in this kind of pieces with great passion and expression and I love when we have a calm introduction and then a beautiful crescendo with a passionate, final high note.

Mná Na hÉireann - I've been missing two things very much: a group song entirely in Gaelic and with the vocalist singing more than just a line at a time. With this beautiful rendition we finally hear each of them sing a full stanza, as in Goodnight My Angel. Each girl has her moment, but they also help each other support the harmony. The arrangement is simple but really nice and has a richness of its own.

Sive - Another song I was super happy to hear recorded! I would have loved a studio version of Eabha's solo, but this one is also very very enjoyable. And again, it's wonderful to hear all the girls singing together in Gaelic. The only way to improve this piace would be to make it longer Smiley

Shenandoah - a very good choice for Megan's first solo: this traditional piece has a very simple melody which is perfect to showcase her voice in a very effective way. It has some low notes which are good examples to understand what I meant when I talked about her darker tones in the voice. I would have added a choir or something else to have a richer arrangement, but it's beautiful nonetheless. I cant' wait to hear Megan sing something more powerful.

Long Journey Home - at this point of the album, my impression is that there's a little too much guitar in the first part of most of the songs. Apart from that, I quite like this song: nothing too fancy, the usual song where we know that at some point the bagpipe will appear Cheesy

Tara's Tunes - it wouldn't be a CW album without at least one fast fiddle solo and this is the one. Exactly what you would expect from a solo with the word "tunes" in it. The arrangement and structure is reminiscent of many other solos of the past, butthe pipes added to the fiddle in the middle and final sections are a nice touch.

Ae Fond Kiss - This would have bee the perfect moment in the album to give Mairead an upbeat song or something else, instead they went with another slow song. It's beautiful and traditional, but as I've said before Mairead has a huge potential and it's sad that it's used more in the group songs than in her solos. This should be the moment for her to showcase power, vocal extension and such things, but as in Destiny, in this album her solos are not the ideal. I hope she gets something more lively next time, perhaps a new arrangement of I Know My Love (which I really didn't like on the Emerald tour, one of Downe's worst arrangements ever!).

Faith's Song - This one too is a missed occasion to showcase the best of a soloist. Megan already had a slow song, since this is all new material they could have chosen something fun for her. I don't know if this is a new song or a cover, but it sounds very very contemporary and despise what I've said earlier, it's quite beautiful in itself. I just would have preferred to celebrate the 'new girl' with something more memorable like they did with Walk Beside Me for Eabha.

Garden of Eden - This is the kind of song that remains in your head all day and more Cheesy I'm happy that Eabha got her own song in a CW album and finally got to sing an upbeat track to show that her talent goes beyond sad, lament-like songs. A perfect choice.

Be Still - I do love CW 'a cappella' songs (even if this one isn't actually one of them, since it has a little background music) and this one is very interesting since we hear the girls and a very delicate choir. A little short, but it works as a nice intermezzo before the final song. And after AEONS of Danny Boy, anything else would have been a very welcome change Cheesy

Going Home - A very beautiful song, not as emotional as You Raise Me Up or iconic as The Parting Glass, but it does the job and has the right mix of calm and power. The melody is very catchy and the mood is very Irish. I suspect it won't be the closing song on tour, though. The Parting Glass still has the potential to stay for a while.

I wish I could hear the two remaining tracks, but I hope it won't be long before we can.

Celtic Chan
Bodhrán Player

Queen Méav

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 05:07PM »

Very great and detailed review - I enjoyed reading your thoughts. Smiley Follow Me is my favorite also - it's s catchy! Cheesy
rfcw
Honorary Roadie

Alex Lynn as next guest DVD, Susan LL next Castle

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 07:32PM »

This has always been a very important thing for me, I always thought one of the biggest problems with CW in the last few years has been the lack of previously unreleased songs.

Couldn't Agree more the Celtic Woman surprises in and outs!
Great review. I love Susan on Homeland. I guess you can hear it on the Homecoming Tour rehearsal clip.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 07:36PM by rfcw » Logged

Down the winding road where my Caranua\'s/CW GEMS are!<br /><br /><br />[img]https://thumb.ibb.co/d0ovKv/FB_IMG_15025
CWazyTom
Honorary Roadie

One CWazy Canadian! Chlovër for life!

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 08:36PM »

My impression is, however, that some of Murphy's arrangements for this album may use a little more complexity and/or power. This goes especially for some of the solos, which are often slow songs, so IMHO it's crucial to provide something interesting in the background while the singer delivers the melody. Since we're talking about melancholic ballads, the singing can't be too powerful so the music should fill that 'void', not always of course but a richer sound would make a difference. A larger use of the choir would also help, think about solos like "Harry's Game" or "Newgrange" which would be very boring if not for that beautiful, layered wall of voices. I don't think Murphy isn't capable of doing that, he does pretty good in his arrangements of Skyrim, Amazing Grace, Dulaman, etcetera, so I think the problem is just that he doesn't do it a little bit more, whilst Downes used to do it basically all the time.

Very insightful write-up. I especially liked your point about how some of the songs could benefit from a richer, fuller sound behind the singers. I love them the way they are too, but your suggestion could make them even better!

It kind of reminds me her first solo album Songbook, which she basically disowned because it didn't reflect her style: well, it's not too different, isn't it? I admit that the final part has a little more power and passion, but Mairead's voice is capable of sooo much more.

When I heard Mairead sing County Down at the castle, it reminded me of Songbook as well. I know Mairead wanted to distance herself from it, but personally I thought her voice sounded really pretty singing that style. I know her voice is capable of more, but I do like that they take advantage of her high, soft, soothing style once in a while too.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 01:16PM by CWazyTom » Logged

Tara Forum (@TaraMcNeilForum)
http://www.taramcneillforum.com/
https://www.facebook.com/TaraMcNeillForum/

CaraNua Fans (@CaraNuaFans)

Candy Canadiana (@candycanfans)
https://www.facebook.com/CandyCanFans
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: