Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting article in The Independent  (Read 3036 times)
Old Guy

« on: March 28, 2010, 09:03AM »

I came across an interesting article you might enjoy: http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/well-take-manhattan-2114828.html

Gary

They traveled across the angry sea in 1849
With all that they could carry
They traveled sick, they traveled blind
Their home, the starving island, just a photo in their mind
They buried the dead at sea, winter 1849

(1849 by The Elders)
LISAFAN4EVER
Choir Member

Lisa's my hero!

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 10:35AM »

Nice article. Thanks for the link!

RetPgmr
Total Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 10:46AM »

That has to be one of the greatest articles about CW that I have ever read. Great find!

Hannahlmatt
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 11:17AM »

That was a great article!

Trouble
Bodhrán Player

Play with Fire.

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 01:00PM »

What an AWESOME article! I loved it!

Thanks Lindsey
Emily!
Honorary Roadie

Mission Accomplished :)

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 01:01PM »

Yes, I agree. I enjoyed this article very, very much. Full of interesting and hilarious lines.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart."
Maggie
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 04:06PM »

I don't always agree with Donal Lynch, but he's outdone himself here....he really did his homework.

You have to smile at his descriptions of Máiréad....

"...What really impressed him, however, were the body parts that made up this new multi-limbed Enya hybrid: Mairead Nesbitt,
a violinist who bounds across the stage like a sexy wood nymph inhabited with the spirit of  Vanessa-Mae....."

"...Except for Mairead, who seems to defy the laws of physics in her manic fiddle playing, the girls have a gentle stage presence,
and dancing is mostly limited to mild swaying. They all sound studio-perfect and with the Debs-esque dresses,
the hairdos and Mairead's fiddling you can see why Billboard Magazine described it as "high camp"....."

Maybe now, Celtic Woman may become better known at home.
There are problems though....an Irish audience will not be at all impressed by the accents,
or by the fact that the ladies can actually speak.
There is nothing new in Ireland about good girls who can sing with clear ethereal voices, and play a mean fiddle.
Oh...and the money. There is a limit to how much the Irish will pay to see a concert, no matter how good,
and they prefer smaller more intimate venues than Radio City and Red Rocks.

So for now, Irish CW fans will have to be content thinking of the much-needed $$$ the Celtic Woman Team brings home.

OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 06:19PM »

they prefer smaller more intimate venues than Radio City and Red Rocks.
Very true.  But CW played to a sold out house at The Point in February 2006, and it seated 8500 people. (It's closed for redevelopment now, and the seating will be expanded.)  But Dubliners are very cosmopolitan, and of course there's a lot of tourists there.  Outside Dublin, most Irish venues probably seat fewer than 400 people.

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
Celtic Lass
Total Fanatic

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 05:29PM »

Just read this article for the first time. VERY GOOD! Even some info in there I didn't know before. BRAVO!
CWPride

LYNN AND LISA ROX MY SOX!!!! :)

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 08:24AM »

One of the coolest articles I have ever read! Thanks for posting!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: