Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Skate for the Heart Reminder  (Read 58026 times)
hesprit
Total Fanatic

« Reply #270 on: January 15, 2008, 12:30AM »

I think I need to add a cautionary note here, about hesprit's generous offer.  Someone had better check out the legalities of mailing out unauthorized copies of a network TV broadcast.  I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but that sounds like it would be patently illegal.

Rich,

That's actually a good question I hadn't thought about at the time.  I've started to check on this just to play it safe.  So far all I've found is a (relatively) old Supreme Court case that seems to indicate this may fall under the "fair use" clause, however it doesn't directly address this particular question.  I haven't found anything that does, but I'm sending emails to both NBC television and Disson Skating, LLC to inquire.

For any who may be / have been interested, I'm editing my original post until I obtain a clearer answer, and I'll let everyone know as soon as I'm able.  Please be patient, and hopefully we'll be able to work something out.

Peter
2B0B

You are in my heart, I'll see you in my dreams.

« Reply #271 on: January 15, 2008, 12:54AM »

First, THANK YOU BRAD for putting up the videos on You Tube! And THANKS to Jason for putting up the link! It looks like the CW videos run about 35 minutes, which is not bad for a show that runs about 80 minutes without the commercials!
I noticed that a couple of the songs were from the original Celtic Woman Show and DVD. It was soo good to hear Isle of Inisfree and One World performed live again. The Ladies looked so comfortable together and they sound better every time I hear them. Its only 36 days 'til I can see them in Tulsa! Cheesy They sound good in Skate For The Heart, but its so much better in person! Kiss

I've still got their music playing in my head, tonight I'll have sweet dreams. In the imortal words of Samuel Pepys " And so now to bed." 2B

To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a Heaven in a wild flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And Eternity in an hour.    William Blake
How does Mairead hold my Heart in her hands
when she touches bow to strings,
And Orla reach my Soul
when she strokes her harp and sings?  2B0B
btimerson
CWF Global Moderator
Total Fanatic

Made it to ForumFest 2012 in Chicago!

« Reply #272 on: January 15, 2008, 09:11AM »

I have placed the original videos that I uploaded to YouTube on my own Celtic Woman Tribute page at:
http://www.fingerlakessynthetics.com/CelticWoman.html

I suggest that you download the files first and then play them.  They are Windows Media Videos which open very nicely in Windows Meda Player.  I'm sure they are compatible with other media players on other platforms (Mac) as well.
Now you can have you very own copies!

Thanks to those who offered server space to me.  Looks like I'm OK for now.   Wink

Enjoy!!   Grin

Brad T

Cash
Honorary Roadie

carry me...on the waves

« Reply #273 on: January 15, 2008, 09:31AM »

Many of us have watched A New Journey over and over (and over) again. We have come to expect Hayley and Meav on Last Rose of Summer. Our brains are now programmed to hear them.

Now let me use a few quotes from the book This is your brain on music by Daniel J Levitin. This is an excellent book. Chapter 4 is entitled Anticipation. From page 111 "The appreciation we have for music is intimately related to our ability to learn the underlying structure of the music we like - the equivalent to grammer in spoken or signed languages - and to be able to make predictions about what will come next. Composers imbue music with emotion by knowing what our expectations are and then very deliberately controlling when those expectations will be met, and when they won't " Then on page 112 "The setting up and then manipulating of expectations is the heart of music." On page 118 he talks about returning to the expected "in Over the Rainbow the melody begins with one of the largest leaps we've ever experienced in a lifetime of music listening:an octive. This is a strong schematic violation, and so the composer rewards and sooths us by bringing the melody back toward home again".

We fans expect certain ladies on certain songs. Another example..we expect Lisa on The voice. If someone else tries to sing it, I bet a few people might like to hear the different version. BUT, I also bet at least some fans will reject it as inferior just out of loyalty to Lisa. Also note that Lisa (and Hayley/Meav on Last Rose) set the bar pretty high. One thing that I think could be really great is if Lynn starts The Voice but then they have a recording of Lisa on a big screen tv and Lisa finishes it. That would be the surprise and then the return to expectation as discussed in the book. It would also be something very different and cool...a duet with one singer live, the other recorded.

Another quote that is of value here comes from Bruce Lee. "You put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.Now water can crash, drip, flow...be water my friend." Perhaps CW should use some different songs now that they have a new member and a temp sub. Perhaps they shouldnt try to force using the same songs, but utilize some new material and adapt to the different vocalists. CW should still use most of the existing songs. I am not suggesting a total change. I just suggest a few song changes on those songs that are sort of "owned" by some of them. (again, a good example, the voice is Lisa's. Another singing it just might not work, in my humble opinion)

For example, with Lynn, I think she could do some Olivia Newton John songs. I honestly love you or maybe hopelessly devoted to you might work. Lynn is also strikingly beautiful. I see her more as a soloist on certain types of songs. Or duets but with Mairead. Vocal / instrument combos. That could be cool.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 11:54AM by OldFatGuy » Logged

Home is behind, The world ahead, And there are many paths to tread, Through shadow, To the edge of night, Until the stars are all alight.
celtic_fiddler
« Reply #274 on: January 15, 2008, 10:02AM »

All of the male members of my family passed away from heart disease, so I'm very aware of it.   

I am so sorry to hear that.  You take care of yourself, please!!  My brother died at 37 from heart disease.  It doesn't discriminate based on age or anything else.  Take care of your heart!!  Smiley
White Rose
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #275 on: January 15, 2008, 04:02PM »

I have placed the original videos that I uploaded to YouTube on my own Celtic Woman Tribute page at:
http://www.fingerlakessynthetics.com/CelticWoman.html

I suggest that you download the files first and then play them.  They are Windows Media Videos which open very nicely in Windows Meda Player.  I'm sure they are compatible with other media players on other platforms (Mac) as well.
Now you can have you very own copies!

Thanks to those who offered server space to me.  Looks like I'm OK for now.   Wink

Enjoy!!   Grin

Brad T

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Moscapoet
« Reply #276 on: January 15, 2008, 04:06PM »

Thank you fiddler. I had let myself get out of shape after leaving the airlines. However, last year I lost 50 pounds, changed how and what I eat, and swim laps for an hour in the thermal pool up the road from me six days a week. I'm also on a regimen of essential oils, vitamins, and minerals that should help. I still want to lose another 30 pounds or so which should be the limit on my frame. Thanks again, and thanks again to CW for doing this show on a huge killer disease especially in the western world. 
2B0B

You are in my heart, I'll see you in my dreams.

« Reply #277 on: January 15, 2008, 09:03PM »

Thank you again, Brad, for the wonderful WMV files! They are much smaller than the ones I lifted from of You Tube, but play just as well!

Cash, I heard the difference in The Last Rose of Summer. I just thought it had been rearranged to highlight the new voice in the duet. It sounded good to me.

We all have our favorites, and I had wondered if CW would substitute some songs for Lisa'a solos. Imagine how hard (and scary) it would be for a temporary replacement to step into Lisa's shoes, and sing one of Her Songs! Please be kind if Alex has to do so.

Will whoever sees the tour's first show fill us in, please? Note, I didn't see a smiley for begging, so will anyone who sees the St. Valentine's Day show please share the playlist with us?

2B

To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a Heaven in a wild flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And Eternity in an hour.    William Blake
How does Mairead hold my Heart in her hands
when she touches bow to strings,
And Orla reach my Soul
when she strokes her harp and sings?  2B0B
L.A. Girl

« Reply #278 on: January 15, 2008, 11:02PM »

I would also like to thank you for adding the songs to YouTube. IMHO, Lynn and Chloe did a great job w/ The Last Rose of Summer. I heard Chloe and Hayley perform it last spring, and I think that Lynn and Chloe sound fantastic together.

Dianne
Jonas

GO Celtic Woman

« Reply #279 on: January 22, 2008, 08:12AM »

We fans expect certain ladies on certain songs. Another example..we expect Lisa on The voice. If someone else tries to sing it, I bet a few people might like to hear the different version. BUT, I also bet at least some fans will reject it as inferior just out of loyalty to Lisa. Also note that Lisa (and Hayley/Meav on Last Rose) set the bar pretty high. One thing that I think could be really great is if Lynn starts The Voice but then they have a recording of Lisa on a big screen tv and Lisa finishes it. That would be the surprise and then the return to expectation as discussed in the book. It would also be something very different and cool...a duet with one singer live, the other recorded.

Cash, do you remember that one Super Bowl where Alicia Keys and Ray Charles dueted America the Beautiful, and Alicia was live on the field while Ray was on TV.

Cash
Honorary Roadie

carry me...on the waves

« Reply #280 on: January 22, 2008, 04:13PM »

Cash, do you remember that one Super Bowl where Alicia Keys and Ray Charles dueted America the Beautiful, and Alicia was live on the field while Ray was on TV.
I did not see it. I am a bit strange I guess, as I don't watch the half time show.

Home is behind, The world ahead, And there are many paths to tread, Through shadow, To the edge of night, Until the stars are all alight.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: