Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: John O'Brien  (Read 6336 times)
Aria

« on: January 20, 2008, 11:24PM »

I haven't really found anything here about John O'Brien who plays Uillean pipes, whistles and Bazouki. There is no information about him on the official Celtic Woman site, other than his name and his instruments.

He is an excellent musician. Do we know anything else about him?

Also, if I'm not mistaken, I believe he is Chloe's Irish Language teacher, "Sean", in the part 2 interview. What do you think?
Kimberly AJ
Choir Member

Chloë Agnew will always be my VBIF forever~!

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 03:52AM »

I remember he is a pipe player as I spot him on my eyes.

LOOK OUT! ROGUE ROBOTS!
07-sara
Bodhrán Player

Smile, you never know who's watching.

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 04:35AM »

Yes thats him in the interview.  Chloe says in there that John is Irish for Sean or that Sean is Irish for John but can't remember which way it is.

Happy is what happens, when all your dreams come true!

Sara
CWFan2
Total Fanatic

Love You Always Lisa!!

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 09:48AM »

John is but one of the musicians (as well as several of the Choir members too) that I wish I knew a little more about. Obviously I don't know John personally but he seems like a very nice guy. If you are up front, against the stage, at one of the shows, sometimes you can get a shot at talking to him, for a minute, particularly just after Act One closes. Sometimes he's there for a few minutes fooling with his instruments. I wanted to ask him a couple of things, a couple of different times but, at the same time, I didn't want to bother or pester him. So, I left it alone. But I have been in Row A for 6 of the 8 CW concerts I've attended and John was right there in front of me, whereby I could have talked to him for a minute or two. But again, I decided against it because I did not want to bother him. However if you did want to 'bother' him, I'm going to go out on a limb and say ... I'm sure he's a very nice guy.

... Bill

Still And Forever ... Our Angel From Heaven
Aria

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 07:27PM »

He does seem very nice in Chloe's video and Chloe seems to think a lot of him; they look like they are having fun.

I'm a wind instrument player, myself, so I tend to notice others who play similar instruments.

I thought when I saw Chloe's video that "Sean" seemed very familiar. I had to search my brain then study a few video clips before I was sure of where I had seen him before.

Maybe John O'Brien will do a video segment about the Uillean pipes much like Ray Fean did for percussion. I would love to know more about that instrument.
Moscapoet
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 07:31PM »

He really does do a great job! I love the Uilleann pipes and whistles. I wish there were more of them in the show but you can only have so much. I'll bet he is a nice guy. That seems to be what is attracted to this ensemble.
Kimberly AJ
Choir Member

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 03:15PM »

Just about long ago, as a student, he had learned Gaelic and pipes. Why not search for his careers?

LOOK OUT! ROGUE ROBOTS!
Aria

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 10:02PM »

I took KAJ's advice and did a bit of searching. Apparently there are many people with the name John O'Brien, but I did find out the following about CW's John O'Brien:

*He began performing with Riverdance in late 1997 (Lagan Company) before becoming the Uilleann piper with Riverdance on Broadway in 2001.
http://www.riverdance.com/htm/theshow/theavoca/john_obrien.htm

*During his time with Riverdance he performed with David Downes, Ray Fean, Des Moore, and Eoghan O'Neill (there is a picture of them playing together)
http://www.riverdance.com/htm/accessallareas/exclusives/ballyfermot.htm

*He is from a musical family and is the brother of Mick O'Brien who is a well known Uilleann pipe player.

Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 10:13PM »

I agree - he is a great musician, as are the rest of the band.  Have you ever noticed how many different instruments he has ready?  Also, I think in the Christmas dvd, he had a guitar.  He is a master of the pipes and CW would not be the same without him.
Kimberly AJ
Choir Member

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 04:12PM »

I sure have found in the Celtic Woman tour that he was playing an Irish flute moving around the stage in the "Dulaman" number. Seen him too?

LOOK OUT! ROGUE ROBOTS!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: