Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Celtic Thunder: Your thoughts?  (Read 69579 times)
Gerard

« on: January 28, 2008, 01:55AM »

As we know, after Celtic Woman, we're going to get Celtic Man in march. The site is up (http:celticthunder.ie), with some nifty clips (this week, they have the opening number, Heartland), Amazon is pre-selling the cd and dvd (you can listen to the CD clips as well). So, what do you think? Will it be as much a success as Celtic Woman? How would you rate the choice of songs? And the singers themselves? Enquiring minds want to know.
Celeste

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 04:06AM »

My intial reaction is...mixed. One of the "secret" reasons why Celtic Woman works so well (and this was best expressed in the Green Man Review,
http://www.greenmanreview.com/live/live_celticwoman_2_18_06.html
which I still consider to be the most perceptive piece that anyone has written about CW) is because every element of the show is quintessentially feminine, from the lovely dresses to the lyrical singing to the settings (think of Chloe in her DVD, singing by a waterfall).

This Celtic Man idea could work, but it would have to be quintessentially masculine, and I think this Celtic Man show, the way it looks right now, it's maybe a bit too "soft." Looking at the one video that's provided as a sneak peek ("Heartland"), something about it seems too much like a "boy band" (shudder).

The "thunder" angle is interesting and is a strong, powerful idea; but by contrast, the background of the Web site is a lyrical waterfall -- not a very manly image.

Now, as the for songs, is it just my imagination, or is there a complete absence of classical repertory? The fact that Celtic Woman does many classical pieces adds to the beauty of the show. A few powerful baritone/bass classical numbers would strengthen the quality of the Celtic Man selections (e.g., the "Mors stupebit" from the Verdi Requiem). As it stands, there are an awful lot of contemporary pop songs -- again, putting the show in danger of becoming an "Irish boy band."

In a way, I guess I'm saying that the show needs to "toughen up" a little, if you see what I mean. It's the "man" in "Celtic Man" that needs to be brought to the fore -- and I don't mean in terms of age. (At least that little boy looks suitably serious in the provided "Heartland" video -- but is he actually going to be singing "Puppy Love"? GAG!)

But that's just a first cursory impression. I've only heard one of their tracks and seen one of their videos. The show as a whole could be better than it looks at a first glance. I'm willing to give it a try...but I'm a bit pessimistic.

I will say this, though. When I first heard about this idea, I thought it was a write off. I am now about 30% interested, whereas before, it was 0%.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 04:10AM by Celeste » Logged

OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 05:47AM »

As we've already discussed elsewhere (http://www.celticwomanforum.com/index.php?topic=2914.msg111196#msg111196) - there is no connection between Celtic Woman and Celtic Thunder.  I was even asked by CW Ltd to post something to this effect, because of the volume of emails they've received on the subject.

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
flags
Total Fanatic

I LOVE HAYLEY AND I CAN'T HELP IT!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 07:19AM »

As we know, after Celtic Woman, we're going to get Celtic Man in march. The site is up (http:celticthunder.ie), with some nifty clips (this week, they have the opening number, Heartland), Amazon is pre-selling the cd and dvd (you can listen to the CD clips as well). So, what do you think? Will it be as much a success as Celtic Woman? How would you rate the choice of songs? And the singers themselves? Enquiring minds want to know.

No one can ever replace Celtic Woman for me.

HOW WILL I SURVIVE UNTIL THE NEXT TOUR ?
flags
Total Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 07:39AM »

I do not like the fact that they are singing Caledonia in the show. LISA IS CALEDONIA!

zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 07:43AM »

Could CW LTD comments be the reason that they have changed the name from Celtic Man to Celtic Thunder? To make sure there is no percieved connection?

That would make sense.

jim

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
flags
Total Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 07:47AM »

They can call them anything they want but CW has my heart and always will. I am a rabbit fan and always will be.

zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 08:54AM »

Is that rabbit or rabid? Quick Rich get the immune globulin out.

Jim

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Pianoman14
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 09:18AM »

Is that rabbit or rabid?
hahahaha!
flags
Total Fanatic

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 09:25AM »

It's rabbit, because everytime I see a CW show advertised I go hopping down the road to see the ladies.

flags
Total Fanatic

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 09:27AM »

Sharon Browne is with CT.

zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 10:30AM »

Good comeback Flags<g>

Jim

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
greenfire6
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 12:53PM »

I am in basic agreement with member Celeste. I haven’t read Green Man Review yet but have written in at least one other post that a huge part of what makes Celtic Woman so special is the stars exhibit classic femininity and virtue on stage and while being interviewed, etc. <Please reader; don’t reduce classic femininity to some concept of girly girl. Classic femininity is loads richer and much more interesting.> This along with their geniune talent, devotion to their art, brilliant song lists and supporting musicians and choir has brought well deserved success.

As for Celtic Thunder I have avoided peeks and will wait for the thing in full context. My first thought when I heard there was something called Celtic man afoot (and High Kings for that matter) was it could find conventional success if the stars exhibit classic masculinity and virtue with a healthy dose of chivalry. But the songs will have to be carefully chosen along with everything else.

But what if conventional success is not the organizers goal? If Celtic Thunder has one foot as an Irish Boy Chorus could it be the organizers are hoping to net some teenyboppers in a strategy to get the younger music fans interested in Celtic music? Mere speculation on my part.

I’m just an unsophisticated voice from the American wilderness who considers Ms Browne a creative genius. Therefore, I will try to keep an open mind and hope for a good outcome.
bot1tle
Total Fanatic

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 02:23PM »

with 2 new groups taking up time and energy, is there a new CW show  in the works ..... ANJ theme can't last forever or can it?...
Let me Know...
Bill
m.k.c.
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2008, 02:33PM »

As Rich stated above, Celtic Woman Ltd. is not affiliated with Celtic Man. And I'd imagine there are separate groups of people that work on The High Kings and on Celtic Woman, so I don't imagine their would be a conflict there. To answer your question, I am under the impression that the CW will be working on a new show during the summer.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: