Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Celtic Thunder: Your thoughts?  (Read 70075 times)
Siobhan
Total Fanatic

Everywhere you go, let your dreams surround you

« Reply #105 on: April 22, 2008, 08:43PM »

Well said, Zee   Wink

When you think of me
sing a heart-spun song
When it's over,
sing it once more.
When you dream of me
dream when I'll meet you
on that distant shore.
Pianoman14
« Reply #106 on: April 23, 2008, 10:38AM »

I think it is very obvious that they are lip-synching too...  Undecided
Don S

« Reply #107 on: April 23, 2008, 02:13PM »

I'm not saying that their music was bad (much of it was good), just that for me several were questionable choices and that the show didn't really "hook me"/"drag me in".  We'll see if they grow on me.

I can't say if they were lip-syncing either as I mostly listened rather than "studiously watching" while I was working on setting my sewing room back up (we just finished renovations on the basement). 

... It probably didn't help that I had just played/watched the ANJ DVD on the new HDTV & Surround system I put in during the renovations either.  After all, I really had to test the surround sound out properly (I still can't get Caledonia out of my head.)

Don...

Mel
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #108 on: April 23, 2008, 04:33PM »

I LOOOOOOOOOOVE PUPPY LOVE...

But then I have adored Donnie Osmond since we were kids in the 60's  Grin

Siobhan
Total Fanatic

« Reply #109 on: April 24, 2008, 06:34AM »

As for lip-syncing....they are *not*.

Sharon Browne herself put this one to rest.  I would like to find the quote that she made about it but I don't remember where it is so I'll try to give you the general gist of it.  Anything that looks like lip-syncing is all because of what happens in production.  Sometimes they slow the video down or something like that to cover a slip, and thus the lips get off a little.  The whole thing was performed, and recorded, live.

When you think of me
sing a heart-spun song
When it's over,
sing it once more.
When you dream of me
dream when I'll meet you
on that distant shore.
Pianoman14
« Reply #110 on: April 24, 2008, 07:58AM »

As for lip-syncing....they are *not*.

Sharon Browne herself put this one to rest.  I would like to find the quote that she made about it but I don't remember where it is so I'll try to give you the general gist of it.  Anything that looks like lip-syncing is all because of what happens in production.  Sometimes they slow the video down or something like that to cover a slip, and thus the lips get off a little.  The whole thing was performed, and recorded, live.

I'm not sure about that...  Roll Eyes (*lol*) I still kinda think they are... ha ha. The recording on the d.v.d. and the c.d. sound so similar... Maybe I'm just being picky because I don't care for the group... I think I'm just biased towards Celtic Woman...  Undecided
Siobhan
Total Fanatic

« Reply #111 on: April 24, 2008, 01:54PM »

Hey, CW get accused of lip-syncing on their DVDs all the time, and we know that's not true.  Sharon helped produce CW as well as Celtic Thunder.  I believe her.   Wink

When you think of me
sing a heart-spun song
When it's over,
sing it once more.
When you dream of me
dream when I'll meet you
on that distant shore.
Mel
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #112 on: April 24, 2008, 03:25PM »

After having seen a show being taped, I can now understand what Sharon was saying. I have seen where something isn't quite in sync, and we see this a few times on ANJ. Some wide shots, the girls look like they are not singing the right words. Most likely due to the wide shot not being the exact shot as the words being sung. It's all about editing.

The other reason I believe the DVD and CD's sound similar, is the CD is most  likely eithe recorded in the venue, just not with any audience or just means they are very professional, plus again, there is that editing and redoing a song till it's 100% right. Can't do that at a live show.

I have seen enough CW shows to know it's all live  Wink

Celtic_Kit

« Reply #113 on: April 24, 2008, 06:05PM »

I have just spent the last six weeks editing a new DVD. Believe me when I tell you that cutting together different focal lengths can certainly cause what is known in the business as lip-flap. Just adjusting a clip a few frames can cause this.

-Kit

BTW...don't you all hate it when other sites take pot shots at Celtic Woman? or write nasty reviews? Let's not be like those people in our discussion of other artists.
willow-jeeves
Honorary Roadie

Reaction on CWF when Isle of Hope CD comes out

« Reply #114 on: April 24, 2008, 06:53PM »

Well said, Kit!  It is obvious to me that CW, THK and CT all are very passionate about bringing the highest quality of music to their fans, as well as being kind, approachable and funny.  Each of us has songs and performers or groups that have touched our lives, and our personal tastes may vary. 

Let's extend the same courtesy to them that they have shown to us, their fans.   Smiley  Smiley

"The Old Man" is a personal favorite of mine from CT.  It always makes me think of my grandpa, who passed away in 1990.

Thanks, Wickie!

"I never made promises lightly,
And there have some that I have broken,
But I swear in the days still left,
We will walk in Fields of Gold." ~ Sting
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #115 on: April 24, 2008, 08:26PM »

Willow, George's rendition makes me think of my Father who passed away in 2002 on St Patrick's Day.

I also love Heartland, The Voyage and Yesterday's Men, among others. 

A sfor anyone who attacks or casts dispersions on the Ladies (and the guys) makes me want to reach for my Blackthorn. <eg>

Jim

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Pianoman14
« Reply #116 on: April 25, 2008, 08:36AM »

I have just spent the last six weeks editing a new DVD. Believe me when I tell you that cutting together different focal lengths can certainly cause what is known in the business as lip-flap. Just adjusting a clip a few frames can cause this.

-Kit

BTW...don't you all hate it when other sites take pot shots at Celtic Woman? or write nasty reviews? Let's not be like those people in our discussion of other artists.
I don't think any "pot shots" are being made at all... it's simply an opinion. That's what forums are here for.
Pianoman14
« Reply #117 on: April 25, 2008, 08:38AM »

The other reason I believe the DVD and CD's sound similar, is the CD is most  likely eithe recorded in the venue, just not with any audience or just means they are very professional...

The C.d. is recorded in the studio in Dublin, The gals are just excellent singers and can nail it, i'm sure! Smiley I've seen my shares of live shows too and I've noticed although the girls do change to try and change the songs a little bit, they still maintain wonderful pitch, which is a sure sign of an excellent musician! Smiley
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 08:41AM by Pianoman14 » Logged
Artist1

« Reply #118 on: July 14, 2008, 06:41PM »

I just checked out Celtic Thunder's forum and couldn't believe in the short time they have been around their forum fans have got us beat 2 to 1, where are all the people we speak to at concerts and tell about our site. Do they just not join?

OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #119 on: July 14, 2008, 07:59PM »

I just checked out Celtic Thunder's forum and couldn't believe in the short time they have been around their forum fans have got us beat 2 to 1, where are all the people we speak to at concerts and tell about our site. Do they just not join?
Theirs is an "official" forum, with a link from their main web site.  Sharon Brown posts on it personally, quite often.  They attract a lot of casual fans who register, post once or twice, and are never seen or heard from again.  Take a look at their stats for topics and posts.  Both totals are far fewer than ours.  They're a fine group and I wish them every success.  But comparing a fan forum to an official one is like apples and oranges.  Since we are unofficial, CW does not promote us and our members have to seek us out.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 08:14PM by OldFatGuy » Logged

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: