Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Baby Gift  (Read 45816 times)
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« on: March 07, 2008, 01:51PM »

Okay, here goes.

A number of our members have contacted me about sending a gift for the baby.  I have to admit that my first thought was to send something individually, because the Porter family are very special people to me.  After giving it some more thought, however, I realized that Scott and Lisa would have to get a bigger house if everyone sent individual gifts.  So - I asked CW Ltd if we could buy a single large gift from the entire forum and send it to their office to be delivered to Ellie and her parents.  CW has graciously agreed to accept a delivery and see to it that the Porters receive it.

So - now we get to the choices and logistics.

1.  How do we collect the dough?
2.  How much time do we allow for collection of funds?
3.  What should the actual gift be?

As I have in the past, I could set up a donation account at my credit union.  Members could then contribute to it by check or PayPal.  If someone else has a better idea, I'm certainly open to suggestions.  I think 2 to 3 weeks should be enough time for the collection.  I don't want Ellie to grow up before she gets her present.  And the choice of the gift should probably wait until we see how big our budget is.

Comments?  Feedback?

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
Nero Angelo
Honorary Roadie

You will not forget this devil's power!

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 01:53PM »

1. PayPal's worked in the past.
2. 3 weeks sounds great to me.
3. A set of toys would be nice.

Kelli
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 01:57PM »

I too like the idea of the account at your credit union.  I think it'd be plenty of time to have the funds in by the end of March.

As for gifts...I think seeing the budget is a good idea.  I was just sent a great catalog with toy, but playable harps, in it...but she's probably a tad young for those at the moment! Cheesy

Visit Órla's Garden, a fansite for Órla Fallon!

What's important often does not stand out but is simply standing quietly.   :  Noah benShe
cool2it
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 01:57PM »

I wouldn't have any idea what to get Ellie!!  But I will certainly want to contribute to the cause.  I think all the ladies on the forum will come up with a great gift and we will all want to be a part of it.  They choose- I contribute- that's some kind of Male-female law somewhere I'm sure.

Thanks for the terrific banner Rich!!  PLEASE, Let's all help in the fight against ALS
Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 02:00PM »

Rich - Great idea.  I'm in. (1) Collect as before - (2) 2-3 weeks - and (3) Give money to Lisa and Scott to use as they please.  That way, we don't buy a gift they can't use or risk a duplicate gift.  Money could always go to a fund for her future education.  Just my thoughts ...

Thanks, Rich!
saxy33

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 02:07PM »

Thats a great idea.  Maybe if the budget is big enough I'd say a handmade blanket that she would be able to keep forever.
Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 02:11PM »

Thats a great idea.  Maybe if the budget is big enough I'd say a handmade blanket that she would be able to keep forever.
Maybe it could be embroidered "To Ellie - From your friends at the CW Forum"
saxy33

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 02:13PM »

Definitly that way she would know that there is a world of people that care about her and the whole Porter family.
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 02:15PM »

Yes, my personal preference would be a nice keepsake - something with some sentimental value, that she could keep forever.  Something along the lines of a really nice music box.

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 02:16PM »

Maybe it could be embroidered "To Ellie - From your friends at the CW Forum"
Yep, that's a good idea, too.

Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 02:17PM »

Rich - Another GREAT idea!!
Kelli
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 02:18PM »

I like the music box, but I'm guessing we'll still have a lot of money left over after it's purchase.  There's probably a LOT of us that want to contribute!

Visit Órla's Garden, a fansite for Órla Fallon!

What's important often does not stand out but is simply standing quietly.   :  Noah benShe
cool2it
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 02:20PM »

Good Idea Rich!!!!  I vote music box---- Playing ' May It Be"  or GTWYR.  It's something that wouldn't get played with roughly so it will last for years and years and what young girls doesn't like a music box.  

Thanks for the terrific banner Rich!!  PLEASE, Let's all help in the fight against ALS
KiernanKate
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 02:21PM »

I like the idea of a baby blanket or other type of quilt...

Also like the idea of sending in money for a gift certificate or something like that, so Scott and Lisa could choose a gift.
Mel
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 02:22PM »

Well the rest could go towards...baby supplies  Grin.

I mean if every member contributed just one $1...that would be $795.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: