Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Celtic Woman performing at a fundraiser for Hillary Clinton  (Read 14901 times)
Moscapoet
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2008, 03:05PM »

According to Mrs. Clinton's website the event took place on the 13th. Did anyone see any reference on it in the news?
Celeste

« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2008, 03:47PM »

Well, there was a Web log thread about it from someone who attended. The individual even posted a short video of the appearance (second one down) -- the instrumental interlude from "The Sky and the Dawn and the Sun":

http://musingsonpoint.blogspot.com/2008/03/im-celtic-woman-its-all-in-me.html

I share the sentiment of those who regret any idea of political involvement by the girls (particularly this particular political involvement, which is anathema to my own). However, Rich's point that this appearance does not constitute an endorsement in any way is well taken.

Jason

« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2008, 03:54PM »

Thanks for the link!

Haha. Poor M.. no room at all! Sad

Emily!
Honorary Roadie

Mission Accomplished :)

« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2008, 04:31PM »

Haha. Poor M.. no room at all! Sad

Hehe, I was thinking the same thing. Our poor Máiréad must have been going crazy not being able to move around in that itty bitty space.  Cheesy

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart."
gr8twh

« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2008, 06:47PM »

Wow....I really must be sleeping under a rock. I did not see that
curve ball coming to the plate.

However, I must say that I am a bit dissappointed in the whole thing.
It does not matter who the fund raiser would be for I just would
rather my special celtic world be left untarnished.

I guess after going to see the girls live in concert after long days at work.
The one thing you could count on was a fantabuolus show WITH OUT
the stars not using the venue to preach there personal political views.

Hence you leave the show feeling uplifted, refreshed and revived.

Oh well, it is over and lets hope we can move past this reguardless of
our own political slant.

Funny though the American\Irish folks did not back Obama?

Hmmmmmmmmm..................more food for thought Grin

WOW......I AM REALLY STANDING!!!!!
Maggie
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2008, 07:37AM »

I just called the number given, got transferred to "Hillary for President" and they typically would not give me a straight answer.
I asked them to confirm that CW performed at a Hillary fundraiser, they said "for what purpose do you want to know?"
I said I am a fan of CW and just wanted to know for my own information.
They said they feel "uncomfortable" answering that.

She gave me the number of the Hillary Press Office.
Their spokesman said "we have no knowledge of that" to which I replied "You're Hillary's Press Office and you have NO KNOWLEDGE" ? Could you tell me who does have knowledge of it, I need it confirmed."

They transferred me to a recorded message line.

This is so typical.

If it turns out to be true, Jacksonville was my last CW concert, and I leave the Forum.

I always thought they were so smart that they stayed out of politics.

Now I know that whoever makes their decisions is not smart at all.

And the ladies went along with it?  Shame on them!

Maggie
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2008, 07:55AM »

Just want to make something clear......I'm not a fan of any of the three possible candidates for President.

I just don't think artists should get involved in Politics in any way, especially when they are from another Country.

Just sing, play, dance or act....I don't want to know your political views.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 09:48AM by Maggie » Logged
Emily!
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2008, 08:01AM »

I just don't think artists should get involved in Politics in any way, especially when they are from another Country.

Amen to that! I'm in complete agreement with you, Maggie. That's why I was saying in my earlier posts how disappointed I was.  Sad I'm trying to just put it out of my mind at this point, especially since the 13th has come and gone.

Also, I think they did indeed appear at the fundraiser unless the video someone posted above is from another event.

And one more thing...why would they feel "uncomfortable" answering your question!? All you wanted to know is whether the girls were there or not...  Huh

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart."
Celtic Fiddle Chick
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2008, 08:06AM »

Just want to make something clear......I'm not a fan of any if the three possible candidates for President.

Enough said.

Destiny
Kelli
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2008, 08:35AM »

I've thought about this thread a lot recently.  For what it's worth, here is my take on things.  I would prefer Celtic Woman not become involved in of American politics.  But if they do choose to do events like this, it certainly doesn't mean I'm going to love them any less.  I listen to their music and go to their concerts because of the peace and joy their music gives me.  Not because I agree with their political motivations, or decision making.  And while I respect the choices of others if they decide they can no longer support Celtic Woman because of this one event...personally, I simply don't understand it.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 08:48AM by Kelli » Logged

Visit Órla's Garden, a fansite for Órla Fallon!

What's important often does not stand out but is simply standing quietly.   :  Noah benShe
Scott

« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2008, 08:59AM »

Looking at it from a non-political aspect (for the girls' sake I am doing so), here is a publicity picture of the venue:

Looks like a nice intimate venue... although it IS five stories high according to the venue's website.  Wink

Maggie
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2008, 09:45AM »

(This answer will get me in trouble. It will probably be deleted. So I will say in advance this is my opinion, which I stand by. If it disappears, so be it. )

And one more thing...why would they feel "uncomfortable" answering your question!? All you wanted to know is whether the girls were there or not...  Huh

Because that woman never does anything without an ulterior motive.
And because you can not get a straight answer out of her team.

When she wanted the NY Jewish vote, in her run for the Senate, she said one of her grandmothers was Jewish.....until she was told that, in that case, it was not good that her grandmother married a gentile and did not raise her kids in the Jewish Faith.

When she wanted the Military vote she said she had once applied to join the Marines.
That was disproved.
Now she is touting for the Irish American Vote.
She is a "fan" of nobody but herself.
Her aides looked around for popular Irish performers and everybody took the bait.
Some people are so ruthless they will do anything to get votes.

As I said before, I don't have a dog in this race. With these candidates to choose from, I am not voting.

This was a bad decision on CW's part, and not just because they are losing a fan....
I don't matter. Their principles do.

I just read Rich's post.
I guess I just went off the political edge.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 10:07AM by Maggie » Logged
m.k.c.
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2008, 10:10AM »

Well said Kelli. I agree.
aislin
Administrator
Total Fanatic

« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2008, 11:22AM »

Nope, not going to delete your post Maggie. It's an opinion and we're instructed by the forum guidelines NOT to censor opinions, as long as they don't lead to a forum war.

For all of you who are decrying CW for doing the event because it was specifically for Clinton, I'm infinitely curious as to how many of you know what the current political situation in Ireland is. I'm not looking for an answer, I'm just wondering.

That being said, let's try to keep this thread on topic and remember it's not the place to discuss your political views. If you have some burning desire to discuss politics start a thread in the general discussion board, but know that if the discussion gets out of hand we will edit or lock the topic.

aislin
Emily!
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2008, 12:45PM »

For all of you who are decrying CW for doing the event because it was specifically for Clinton, I'm infinitely curious as to how many of you know what the current political situation in Ireland is. I'm not looking for an answer, I'm just wondering.

I'm not sure if you meant me or not, but I think just for good measure I'll give my two cents on this comment and then this will be my last post on this thread, especially since the 13th has come and gone and there are better things to post about.

For me, it wasn't as much about Hillary as it was about politics in general. As I said before, and as others have said, it's more about them getting involved in any way with our politics. No, it wasn't an endorsement, but I think a lot of us were just disappointed in seeing them involved in general. Politics in our country can be nasty, and it's just nice to have CW be completely separated from that.

No, I don't personally know what the political situation in Ireland is at this current moment. I certainly studied both political science and International relations in college, and I've always been very interested in Irish history, but I don't keep up with Irish politics specifically. I can barely keep track of the political happenings in our own country.  Roll Eyes Again, for me it was just general disappointment that there would be involvement in a political fundraiser. Like Maggie said, I just think it was a bad move. Period. I agreed with her there.

All of that being said, I personally wasn't "decrying" them or condemning them in any way. Disappointed? Yep, but it's done and overwith and to be quite honest, I've realized that I love them too much to care.

Kelli made a great point in her post above which I agreed with. She said she couldn't see how someone could stop supporting CW because of this. So true. Celtic Woman brings me way too much happiness, joy, and excitement, among other things. Even if I tried to, I don't think I could just stop adoring them like I and so many of us do. It just wouldn't be possible for me and I wouldn't want to just because of this. I also enjoy coming on this forum way too much and talking with all of you. I wouldn't want to stop doing that just because of one silly thing.  Grin

Anyway, I just wanted to say something in response to that comment. I hope I didn't ruffle anyone's feathers, but I did want to clear the air.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: