Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Autism Awareness Day  (Read 42071 times)
Conchobar
Total Fanatic

« on: April 02, 2008, 04:16AM »

Today is World Autism Awareness Day.
CNN will be having a dayong focus on Autism with stories on different people with autism, as well as the the various treatments currently in use. I hope you all get a chance to check it out.

Bob   

Truth is just like time, it catches up, and it just keeps going.  DW
Kimberly AJ
Choir Member

Chloë Agnew will always be my VBIF forever~!

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 02:15PM »

Does it have any footages?

LOOK OUT! ROGUE ROBOTS!
Conchobar
Total Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 06:48PM »

Kim,
I only got to see a little of it this morning and just turned back on now. They seem to be running several news items throughout the day. So there is video, on various different people, families, and doctors. So far it has been very interesting.   

Junebug2

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 07:29PM »

I have a nephew that has Autism. (God Bless him) There is some talk that some foods that you eat can make it worse. Like wheat. There is just to many cases of Autism. I wish they can figure it out.

Conchobar
Total Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 07:52PM »

My brother has two sons with it. The younger one "Patrick" is on a very strict diet and it seems to be helping. I am very heartened to see that this terrible disease is finally getting the attention it deserves. I recently watched a special on HBO called "Autism, the Musical" where a group of children with autism, wrote and put on a play. One of the best things they showed was that people with autism are no different than the rest of us they just have a harder time communicating. It just takes some time for us to appreciate, and understand all that they are trying to share with us.     

Maggie
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 03:34AM »

I'm glad there is more focus on Autism now, and it seems more research is being done.
As with most diseases, it's usually when it occurs in your family that you are motivated to learn about it.

For information on Autism:
http://www.autism-society.org/site/PageServer

Conchobar
Total Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 04:03AM »

Thank you Maggie. Here is a personal favorite that does great work
http://www.autismspeaks.org/

Kimberly AJ
Choir Member

Chloë Agnew will always be my VBIF forever~!

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 02:14PM »

Wow! Those links are very good. I'll prove that I do have Autism. Smiley

LOOK OUT! ROGUE ROBOTS!
Texas Celtic Girl
Honorary Roadie

There can be Miracles,when you believe!

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 02:54PM »

Thank you for this post. My older brother has Asperger's Syndrome,which is an autism spectrum disorder. And you're right,Chochobar,that they are just like us.

Thanks,Guardian and Annie!
8/17/10  Finally met Rosie Allen! Thanks,CW!
Naraku_Diabolos

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 04:13PM »

My brother has two sons with it. The younger one "Patrick" is on a very strict diet and it seems to be helping. I am very heartened to see that this terrible disease is finally getting the attention it deserves. I recently watched a special on HBO called "Autism, the Musical" where a group of children with autism, wrote and put on a play. One of the best things they showed was that people with autism are no different than the rest of us they just have a harder time communicating. It just takes some time for us to appreciate, and understand all that they are trying to share with us.     

It's NOT a disease. I have autism (Asperger's Syndrome, though it's barely noticeable). Autism is actually a type of disorder that affects the brain so that it process information differently, either quickly, slowly, thinking outside of the box etc. Autism can be hereditary or can be linked with environmental factors, like when a pregnant woman consumes either food or takes medicine. The most common theory of how children develop autism is when their mother is pregnant and consumes foods with traces of mercury or other hazardous elements.

I have Asperger's Syndrome, but it's a really slight affliction I have. I mean, I've been around kids who have it much worse than me, and I absolutely cannot stand being near them (they either creep me out or annoy me). The only noticeable things for me having autism (Asperger's Syndrome) is just communication and emotional problems. Like, I process information differently, express my emotions differently and have a hard time understand others' emotions or comprehend information.

EDIT: rewording a sentence; left out 2 words.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 04:15PM by Naraku_Diabolos » Logged

[video]http://xivpads.com/?Hayley-Westenra-Excalibur[/video]

"I Made Hayley Westenra On My Online Game."
http://www.celticwomanforum.com/index.php?topic=19082.msg879933#msg879933
SeanN

I always finish what I sta

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 05:55PM »

I must admit that I'm a bit skeptical about the techniques used to diagnose autism and related disorders.  I myself was diagnosed with autism at an early age by two school psychologists, but my parents believed otherwise.  After a lengthy debate, it was decided that I would be evaluated by a professional psychologist in a large city near my hometown.  He ultimately decided that I did not have autism.  More than fifteen years later, everyone agreed that the third psychologist made the correct decision.  Granted, I did show many symptoms related to autism at the time of diagnosis, but my parents knew me well enough to believe otherwise.

When diagnosing autism (or any disorder of a similar nature), I believe it is up to the parents to take all information — even advice from a licensed professional — with a grain of salt.  In most cases, it is the parents who see their children most often.  Parents are the most familiar with the daily routines of their children, and should understand them better than other members of the public.  When it is time to seek outside help, though, a second (or third) opinion never hurts. Wink

Sean
Conchobar
Total Fanatic

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 07:00PM »

Naraku, you are right and I apologize for using the word disease.
As far as I can tell from my reading and experience it's just that people with Autism process information differently. I have heard many theories about the causes for it. Everything from diet, or vaccines, to chemical content in food. I think other than research the main thing that needs to be focused on is why doesn't insurance cover treatment for this? I live in a state (Minnesota) where alcoholism is considered a disease and you can get disability benefits for it?!! Really?! Yet my brother has to pay $500 a month just for speech therapy! autism treatment is considered education, and thus not covered. I put in a previous post that back during the polio epidemic  1 in every 5000 americans had polio, and it was considered a national epidemic that needed immediate attention. Right now 1 in every 150 people in ths country have autism, 1 in every 85 boys. Yet nothing is being done.
Sorry to get up on the soapbox, but this is a topic that is dear to me.

Bob       

Naraku_Diabolos

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2008, 08:55PM »

Naraku, you are right and I apologize for using the word disease.
As far as I can tell from my reading and experience it's just that people with Autism process information differently. I have heard many theories about the causes for it. Everything from diet, or vaccines, to chemical content in food. I think other than research the main thing that needs to be focused on is why doesn't insurance cover treatment for this? I live in a state (Minnesota) where alcoholism is considered a disease and you can get disability benefits for it?!! Really?! Yet my brother has to pay $500 a month just for speech therapy! autism treatment is considered education, and thus not covered. I put in a previous post that back during the polio epidemic  1 in every 5000 americans had polio, and it was considered a national epidemic that needed immediate attention. Right now 1 in every 150 people in ths country have autism, 1 in every 85 boys. Yet nothing is being done.
Sorry to get up on the soapbox, but this is a topic that is dear to me.

Bob       

Ah, it's okay. People should know that autism is not really a disease to begin with, but a type of 'mental disorder' (there's no disorder in it to be precise; it can actually be a good thing at times) for just processing information differently and learning.

I believe there IS a federal law about it, though. I know there's a federal law that if anyone were to harass someone with a documented disability (autism falls right into that category; I'll explain), they would break it and face judicial punishment. I had counselors when I was at college who told me that. The thing was, I was in a 'skirmish' with a group of girls back at college and they took advantage of me. They did A LOT of harassment towards me and I fell into a trap they made, which got me into trouble with campus police, only that they were found guilty of harassing me and I was the victim later on. And after that was finished, they still harassed me by telephone and instant messaging (I do not know HOW they got my phone numbers; I had them blocked on instant messaging the night of the skirmish, but they found my other account and sent hate messages).

Thing is, we can still sue those girls for what they did to me due to me being autistic (having the label of a documented disability!). The thing is, back when I was at college, a lot of teachers knew I was a good student. People just labeled me as a 'stalker' (mainly girls) for no apparent reason, mainly because I was autistic. Did they even KNOW the definition of a stalker? It's someone who tracks other people by following them everywhere. Mind you, I was TOTALLY busy with school work, drawing, hanging out with friends and playing video games, so how could I be a 'stalker' in their eyes if I were busy doing my own things? You know?

It's just that people would label someone who is different (like having autism) for being weird (like how people viewed me). I live a normal life like everyone else, despite my differences. My mind functions differently, and yet I'm normal.

[video]http://xivpads.com/?Hayley-Westenra-Excalibur[/video]

"I Made Hayley Westenra On My Online Game."
http://www.celticwomanforum.com/index.php?topic=19082.msg879933#msg879933
Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 01:02PM »

Today is World Autism Awareness Day for 2009.
kat
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2009, 02:44PM »

Conchobar said/ There is just to many cases of Autism. I wish they can figure it out.
They never can figure it out completly. I can't figure it out for myself yet because i have a light form of autism said the dockters.
Here is a little story abouth myself .
Somewhere in 2008 i was diagnosed a very light form of authisme.
It was not easy at school and and it's not easy when i was working
I did a part normal school than i did a school for kids with learning difficulty's
There is a problem with tempo when i was at school and when i was working plus being shy is int making easy'r
Talking abouth myself,how i feel ,...... is very difficult for me
I have weaving a safty place and sometimes i put new things to it . CW belongs to that safty spot also the cwforum and meav'sforum. I need these things
New situations and changes scares me most of the time that i'm crawling back in my safty zone
I was upset and very i don't know how to say this word something like "unstable nervouse upset unconsetrate" when lisa's and orla's forum was shut down.
Those feelings brought a holes in a safty zone and it's not easy to close that hole's. ( coco nows what i mean )
I'm in therapy for the moment to now where i'm standing in that autisme line

Talking abouth this is for me a monster step , gonna stop now before i'm getting myself down again
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: