Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Portland, Oregon Review May 11, 2007  (Read 11648 times)
m.k.c.
« on: May 12, 2007, 10:39PM »

So...wow. I'm still a bit in shock. And I'll fully admit that I am suffering from P.C.W.C.D. (Post Celtic Woman Concert Depression - I think we should have a support thread for this  Wink) Anyway, to fully explain my experience I should probably explain a couple things that have gone on in my personal life in the weeks before the concert.

The week before I found out that the girl I was planning on living with next year had decided to move to Portland because of some personal stuff going on with her own life. Which I understand, but I'm still trying to figure out where I'm living as of June 15th. For those of you who haven't experienced the joys of trying to find a place to live...it's rather stressful.
  Then two days before the concert the friend that was driving me up to Portland and coming to the concert with me called and told me she couldn't come.  Sad So I ended up taking a greyhound because I figured if I drove up to Portland I would probably end up dying in a car accident (<-- has never driven in Portland in her life).
  At any rate, as Scott and Dale will tell you I was rather pessimistic about whether or not I'd actually really see the girls. I was convinced something would go wrong and I either wouldn't get up to Portland or the concert would get canceled or something. And truly I didn't get even all that excited until I picked up my tickets at the box office.
  But then I got really excited. And getting in the building just kind of built it up. Because I am a genius (not) I thought the show started at 7:30. Why you ask? I don't really know, but we kind of got there really early, so we sat in our seats for a rather long time. Thankfully, I was able to call Dale and we chatted until about 15 minutes before the show was supposed to start.
  They started probably 15 minutes late which temporarily brought back my anxiety about the show not happening, but then Nick and Ray appeared, and all anxiety went away.

The Sky and the Dawn and the Sun
   Mairead was the first one I saw (obviously), and I was kind of surprised that she seemed a lot taller than everyone described her as. Lisa came into my view next and I have to admit I kind of stopped paying attention to the other girls walking on the stage Tongue. I love the longer arrangement, and I wish they'd put out a CD with the longer number just because all the additions were so good! Just seeing the girls I started tearing up, which is weird because I do not cry around other people. Something about seeing them just brought on this sense, not only of relief, but of complete gratitude. I remember sitting there watching Orla sing and just thinking "Thank you so much." I wanted to thank everyone involved with the show for being there. I wanted to thank the girls for being completely amazing and being willing to endure a grueling schedule so that we can see them live. I wanted to thank God for getting me there safely. And Scott for encouraging me to check one last time for tickets. Overwhelming gratitude is one thing I think I'll always associate with both Celtic Woman and this particular song.

(I promise talking about the other songs won't be that long)

Caledonia
After "The Sky and the Dawn and the Sun" I watched everyone leave the stage and I noticed Lisa leaving. Having looked at my program I knew Caledonia was next so I was sitting there thinking, "Lisa, where are you going? You have to sing now." Then I realized I was watching Orla   Embarrassed eh heh. Anyway, the song itself was awesome, and I couldn't stop smiling watching Lisa sing (actually I couldn't stop smiling the entire first half which resulted in a very stiff jaw).

The Butterfly
I don't know if this is just me, but I though Mairead was moving around great. Her leg was still wrapped, but by the end of this song she was just going for it. If you're going to a concert anytime soon watch her face because the facial expressions she makes are just priceless. And everyone that has commented on how hilarious Mairead chasing Lisa off the stage is...I agree 1000% I wish it had lasted longer actually.

Danny Boy
In this song Hayley broke my heart. At one of the higher notes her voice cracked and being a singer (though not professional) I know how horrible that feels. I wanted to give the girl a hug, and I think everyone clapped extra loud for her afterwards. Or maybe that was just me  Wink

The Prayer
I'm not sure why, but at the beginning of this song I really wasn't focusing on Chloe (I'm sorry! *ducks from the things Scott hurls at my head* Sad ). But then she smiled...and I was hooked.

(I could write about each song specifically and what I thought, but this review is really long already..so I'll just go over the unique stuff)

Starting with "The Blessing" after each of their solo numbers the girls started thanking us. It was really sweet. I don't know if that's normal for other concerts, but I thought it was really cool.

Mo Ghile Mear
I love this song Smiley I really just do. Watching Lisa and Chloe dance with each other was just really cute. Orla and Hayley don't have the same chemistry, but they do interact in an endearing way that I wasn't expecting.

Dulaman
I really really like Meav's version of this song, but now I really really like Hayley's. She was flirty and so confident which was great to see.

The Last Rose of Summer
Maybe I was reading too much into this, but it seemed like during this song Hayley kept looking to Chloe for reassurance. Which was really...heart warming for lack of a better word. And I don't know if anyone else mentioned this, but as they walked off the stage they held hands and didn't let go 'til they had to. *cue audiences: AWWWW*

At the Ceili
If this song were a person, I would marry it. Seriously...I would.

Carrickfergus
At the beginning of this song some guy was being thrown out and there was a bit of an altercation. I was rather tempted to shout something to the effect of "Hey, Orla's singing be quiet!" but that seemed somewhat hypocritical and embarrassing, so I refrained   Cool

Wow...okay this is really long, so I'm going to just stop. But truly, if you haven't gotten a chance to see Celtic Woman in concert I would suggest you either try and make this tour or save up for the next one. They're absolutely beyond any adjective that could be used to describe the experience (though I enjoyed the suggestion by my mother: fan-tan-tabulous  Grin). I'm so grateful for the hard work that goes clearly go into these shows, and I wish the girls well on the rest of their tour.

P.S.
Props to anyone that read all that.
Scott

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 11:13PM »

Excellent review, Alex!!!

It wasn't all that long, I've gotten use to long reviews by Mel (*ducks out of the way from coffee cup thrown by Mel*) Wink

Celtic_Kit

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 09:18AM »

Wonderful! Thanks for sharing. These reviews just don't get old. I love reading them.

Kit
willow-jeeves
Honorary Roadie

Reaction on CWF when Isle of Hope CD comes out

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 10:35AM »

Alex:  I enjoyed your review, and as someone who wrote a rather long review for San Diego, I never get tired of reading about the concerts!   Grin Grin

It's great, because we get to relive some of our experiences. 

Thanks for taking the time to write! 

Thanks, Wickie!

"I never made promises lightly,
And there have some that I have broken,
But I swear in the days still left,
We will walk in Fields of Gold." ~ Sting
Meldy

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 09:29PM »

Don't worry I wrote a lot on my review too, but I also love when reviews have lots of detail Wink 

Banner by:  Scott
Luckyfiddler

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 08:26AM »

N which song does Mairead chase Lisa? This I have to see.

Peace, love and listen to Celtic Woman!

http://www.maireadnesbitt.com/photo/san_jose_800.jpg
lovelycherylwinner
Total Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 08:50AM »

It must have been after Lisa sang and Mairead had to do her solo and Lisa was moving slowly so she chased her off. It was probably funny watching her wave her bow to get off stage. Also greatlink to the picture in your signature. Mairead is so beautful isn't she.

Steven M.

The treasure of true freindship will never lose its glow.
Jeanine
Honorary Roadie

Christmas Symphony Tour was WONderful!!

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 09:08AM »

Yes, that was from the ANJ Tour.  When Lisa finished Caledonia, Mairead came up next with The Butterfly, so the two of them would play around a little with the solo change and Lisa would move slowly so Mairead would chase her off with her bow.  It was so cute/endearing and funny to watch. Grin  It's always so much fun to watch how the girls interact with each other on stage! Grin

"Come to Me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." - Jesus Christ
(Matthew 11:28)
lovelycherylwinner
Total Fanatic

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 09:28AM »

That just shows how close they have become. In watching interviews and reading articles on them they say they didn't know each other before the first show. But now they say they miss their families when they are on tour and miss each other when they are not.

Steven M.

The treasure of true freindship will never lose its glow.
Luckyfiddler

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 11:21AM »

Anyone have a video of it? I really gotta see this.

Peace, love and listen to Celtic Woman!

http://www.maireadnesbitt.com/photo/san_jose_800.jpg
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: