Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dodge Theatre Phoenix Ariz May 11th 2008  (Read 14214 times)
Dwight

I am Celtic Woman's favorite Dwight!

« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2008, 02:26PM »

Oh I looked into going down to Tucson for CW several month's ago. But there was no M&G, front row was already taken and then there was the hassle of getting down to the venue after work. Then the long drive back to Phoenix late at night or the option of getting a hotel and staying the night and going back to work  early in the morning and have to put up with all the traffic going back to Phoenix. I dirve over the top of Warner Rd every morning and it is bumper to bumper at 06:30 AM everyday. There are a lot of people who commute from Tucson to Phx for work its insane but they do it.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 02:31PM by Dwight » Logged

Shywolf(Craig)
Total Fanatic

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2008, 05:35PM »

Dwight, how long and/or miles from Phoenix to Tuscon and vice versa Huh

Craig
donnis

Kelly Family Crest

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2008, 05:45PM »

I have to say that the audience was more subdued this time.  But I also talked to a lot of people at the beginning and at the end of the concert.  This was the first CW concert for a lot of these people.  They were not fans as of yet.  They also did not have the general knowledge of the CW family like we do.  I had some ask me why the girls were not the same ones that they saw on TV.  I had to give the Reader's Digest version for that one.

I asked the couple that were sitting right next to me if this was their first CW concert and they said yes and they didn't know what to expect.  I told them they would be thrilled with it.  They said, "we saw them on TV", but I said, "You haven't seen anything yet.  Just wait till they start and you see them live".  
About half way through the first half, the man turned to me and said "You were right."

It is true that most of the people that were there were older but I know the older couple sitting next to me had a blast and could not stop talking about the concert after it was over.  They wanted to know about the other concerts they have given and if they would be back again.  They didn't move very fast or respond to much, but they really enjoyed it.

I loved the High Kings opening the show.  They were spectacular.  They wife really enjoys this group.  The "Galway to Graceland" song was a hoot.  

I won't comment on the individual songs since most everybody does that and it is usually the same...AWESOME!  

However, I for one was disappointed to not see Lisa or Helen at the concert understandably.  I was waiting for Alex to sing some of Lisa's songs so I could hear her.  "No one in the world can sing Lisa's songs but Lisa" you could hear me saying.  Oh I know Alex is good or CW would not have selected her.  But when she started "The Voice" I could not do anything but keep my eyes glued on her and listen.  She was beautiful and took command of all around her.  What a performer!  I have to say that "The Voice" is bilingual - Two voices are meant for that song.   Grin Lisa and Alex.  She won my respect and adoration at that moment.  

I was impressed with her rendition of the other Lisa songs just fine.  Like I said, she is good or CW would not have her.  She is a splendid artist and I was enjoying the show, but "The Voice" was spectacular.

Mairead was magnificent as always.  I never tire of watching and listening to her.

Orla was terrific on the harp and I can listen to her sing forever.  

Chloe was charming and beautiful and it never ceases to amaze me that one so young can be so talented.  

Lynn was superb in her role and being this is the first time I got to see Lynn in action, I was not disappointed.  She has a terrific range and does the Irish language proud.  She was just beautiful in her gold gown and Dulaman was done spledidily.  

All the girls performed well together as they always do.  

For me it was a splendid concert and I got to see Dwight again and meet Scott this time.  

I hope to get to see CW again...Next time Lisa and Helen back in the group.  

L isa  I s  S imply  A wesome

Meallan muilte Dé go mall ach meallan siad go mion.
kathleen
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2008, 06:06PM »

Guys.....great insight! Glad to see that you guys got to go to thet concert! Sorry the crowd wasn't to hip.

But ....isn't it fun to talk to the people next to you at a concert! I find that its so fun to talk to them and find out how and why they are there.

When we were in Chicago...the guy next to me had a blast. His wife was a little sub-dued....but he was sooooooo into it! I had to laugh...I wanted to say...go guy! Wife....get into it...and after awhile...she was! LOL

All I can say.................CW....when's the next concert?

Dwight

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2008, 06:22PM »

Its about 110 miles give or take where you are starting from to where you finally end up. Figure on 90 minutes to 2 hours one way. At least its all freeway.

Dwight, how long and/or miles from Phoenix to Tuscon and vice versa Huh

Craig

Dwight

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2008, 06:32PM »

OK I really should go have my head examined on this one. I found a pair of tickets to Greek Theatre for $335 dollars each from a ticket reseller. Front Row Center. Man am I tempted. Yes that means I have to buy the pair for 670 bucks anyone want to split the costs.  Grin Grin Grin

Moscapoet
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2008, 07:53PM »

Ouch! Tempting though for that kind of seat. However, I had a chunk of change to spend on my jeep when I returned to ABQ today. Bakersfield will have to do.
Emily!
Honorary Roadie

Mission Accomplished :)

« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2008, 08:14PM »

$335? Yipes, that's steep.  Shocked

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart."
TVD

« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2008, 10:37PM »

I was at the Dodge on Sunday. I was in the third row way up front. I am not old, I do not live in Sun City and I did not auction my estate for those seats. I am not retired, I went to work today. A co-worker of mine was also at the concert. He had a great time and did not think the audience were "deadbeats." The people around me were younger than me and everyone was excited and enthused about the concert. There was a lot of energy and excitement and there was lots and lots of clapping. My hands hurt by the end of the concert.

We were there to enjoy Celtic Woman and we did not worry about making eye contact with them. We enjoyed the show.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 10:50PM by CRRopes » Logged
aislin
Administrator
Total Fanatic

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2008, 11:51PM »

This thread is kinda walking a fine line. Shots have been taken at the ENTIRE city of Phoenix just because they didn't show what some considered the 'proper' level of enthusiasm for the show.... that's overgeneralization at its worse and offensive to any forum member who might live there.

Weather or not CW returns to a venue or city has to do with past ticket sales, venue availability, and several other things, none of which are dependent upon if the audience clapped enough.

There's also been some poking at PBS and people who chose to sponsor it. I don't care how you feel about PBS, without it CW WOULD NOT EXIST. And PBS can't function without donations. I for one am happy that there are people out there willing to give their entire estates to PBS... just means more CW for me.

This thread started as a review of the Phoenix show and has devolved into bashing and discussing tickets for another show. Please stay on topic and within the forum rules.

aislin
Shywolf(Craig)
Total Fanatic

« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2008, 11:17AM »

I would Dwight but can't either though less than what I paid and still paying off. Several ticket agents(scalpers) have pit seats which dropped in price since December. I was at the Greek last year on May 5 front row pit center area. And no barrier between the stage and seats. Meaning leaning against the stage as well resting the feet on the stage wall Smiley Smiley   Also if you do go buy the VIP or perferred parking pass. That way you don't wait for the others and get their no later than 5pm.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 11:20AM by Shywolf » Logged
CWFan2
Total Fanatic

Love You Always Lisa!!

« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2008, 05:19PM »

Hey Dwight ... I thought it was a good show. Ya gotta remember, the audiences vary, from city to city and from show to show, etc. Some are more 'into it' and some 'sit on their hands' for the night. Yes I would prefer they were totally 'into it' every, single show. The more 'into it' the crowd is, the more fun it is and the better, generally speaking, the show is. The girls, as we all know, appreciate it very much when the crowd gets 'into it'. But, they also handle it quite well if the crowd is a bit 'slow' on any given evening. I've seen it all ways (in my 12 CW concerts) from 'slow' crowds to audiences kidding and joking around with Chloe and Mairead and Ray to crowds way 'into it' which of course, is the best. I would have called the Sunday night crowd in Phoenix about a '60/40 crowd'. I prefer a '90/10' crowd but, I'll certainly settle for the '60/40 crowd' too ... for another night with our gals myself.

It wasn't a bad show. The crowd could have been a bit more lively. But, again, it varies. One never knows. That said, if and when the ladies appear at The Dodge Theater again, I shall 'appear there' myself, again ... for another night with our gals.

Cheers all ... Bill

Still And Forever ... Our Angel From Heaven
Moscapoet
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2008, 06:11PM »

OK, I did not mean to disparage an entire city. As I said in my review I have been spoiled by the extraordinary crowds at previous concerts. Also, I said too that I heard many positive comments from folks while leaving the venue. The numbers were there as the place was pretty full and it was a large venue. The concert was great and I have always said that PBS is to be commended for bringing us CW. Some folks just notice inconsistencies more than others. No offense intended. 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 12:14AM by Moscapoet » Logged
CWFan2
Total Fanatic

Love You Always Lisa!!

« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2008, 07:03PM »

Oh I know that Scott. No offense taken. I believe we (hardcore CW fans) know exactly what to expect, what we're in for each evening with the girls. IF we get a city/venue with a lot of (fellow) hardcore CW fans, like us, we wind up with a more lively crowd, obviously. BUT, if we attend shows whereby there is a large contingent of (for lack of a better way to put it) first-timers ... we may encounter a somewhat more subdued crowd. I mean, imagine a 2500/3000 seat venue filled with nothing BUT us (hardcore) CW fans. It would make for a positively loud and lively evening versus say ... the 60/40 crowd (roughly half us and half first-timers) I eluded to previously, which, it only stands to reason, would make for a slightly more subdued evening.

No offense taken Scott (or Dwight). I don't reside in Phoenix but do have family there and have been to the beautiful Valley Of The Sun many times over the years. Be that as it may though, it might be a tad presumptuous to 'blame' an entire city for a somewhat subdued crowd, one evening, at a 2500 seat venue. After all, not all attendees know (and love) the girls as we do and many are first-timers at a CW concert and few are as rabid a fan as I am. Or you are. Or Dwight is. Etc, etc, etc.

However, I also believe we are all entitled to our own opinions too. I am not offended here, in the least. I know exactly what Dwight and you are saying, believe me.

My take on it.  Wink

... Bill

Still And Forever ... Our Angel From Heaven
Shywolf(Craig)
Total Fanatic

« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2008, 07:32PM »

Emily, I was at the Greek theater last May for CW and charged $450 each for a pair for front row  center and first concert in 13 years. And Rich has the same seats I had last year and gave him info on them and the parking for the venue.

Craig
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: