Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Sacramento missive (incomplete version)  (Read 4065 times)
greenfire6
« on: May 11, 2008, 11:42PM »

This is only the second of three parts. For the full, ridiculously long, missive please jump to:

Part II   The Show,

The concert hall is very grand and decorated tastefully. The stage is dramatically overarched and flanked with imposing appointments and the dark blue, forwardmost; curtains must be 30 or more feet tall. The ceiling must be 50 feet or so above the main floor. This hardwood floor is gently sloped providing a good view of the stage from our 16th row seats. Comfortable, upholstered seats where everywhere. We agreed that the acoustics would probably be superb.

We spent the time standing near our seats and chatting with each other and those around us. Gary spotted an old buddy sitting in the front row of the Dress Circle just a few feet away and stepped over to visit with him. Loads of people had cameras and flashes were going off almost continuously as they took pictures of, primarily, each other until an announcement was made that all forms of recording devices were prohibited. I didn’t come to count cameras but near as I can tell that announcement brought full compliance. Good for you Sacramento!

Then the house lights dimmed, The High Kings (THK) were introduced and the show was on! Man, I’m here to tell ya those guys are really good live and they got the entire audience amped up right away with clapping in unison, especially with The Wild Rover and loads of laughter with Galway to Graceland. My friends knew little of THK until this moment but got with the program right off too. Travis is musically talented. He sings and plays several instruments pretty good himself. When he likes the same music I like it means to me there is something good going on and I’m not just nuts.

During THK it became quite warm and the wisdom of Travis wearing a shirt and tie without a coat became obvious. Gary and I removed our coats and they laid across our laps for all but the intermission. THK finished up in style and exited the stage to thunderous applause as the house lights came back up. It was becoming obvious this audience came to party and the warm conditions weren’t going to deter them!

Now the time was nigh and the anticipation was overpowering! I leaned over to Travis and said something like, OK, this is it. The first ONE you’ll see will be Mairead, backlit and smoke obscured with bow arcing high. She will appear to be in no particular hurry to play. Mercifully, she will end the tease and begin to make sweet strains come from that odd shaped, small, wooden box on her shoulder. He replied, that’s the way it should be- Mairead first! (The man has a way of speaking truth!)

The wait was longer than I expected. As I recall, at an early point in this transition, a female voice somewhere in the audience was heard to shout something like Celtic Woman we love you! A mixture of approval and chuckles rumbled low through the crowd. The audience noise slowly tapered down to nearly nothing in anticipation of what we were all about to witness.

The Sky, and The Dawn, and The Sun. Then the house lights dimmed, the curtains withdrew and THERE SHE WAS, more dramatic than even I expected! A warm, robust applause erupted in welcome and advanced appreciation but was kept short in anticipation of the music. Mairead, the 5’ 1” darling of indescribable talent and seemingly inexhaustible energy played those sweet yet powerful opening strains. Opening strains so full of promise for the coming two hours. Then THEY APPEARED- floating in with song! And there was Lynn! And Alex! Right along side Chloe, Mairead and Òrla! The sight and sound of the five together was devastatingly beautiful. What a privilege this is to see them, all so lovely in their white gowns, and hear them singing so beautifully together! I thought about pinching myself but never got around to it. I was too busy absorbing the shear majesty of them standing so straight, confident and happy to perform for us. Not a shallow confidence of arrogance but a humble confidence rooted in their life long devotion to their music and loving the opportunity to share it with us. Yes! Here they were, awash in the fittingly white light, singing and playing with their clear, powerful, yet sweet voices and music individually and coming together in mastery. I was beside myself with joy and this was just the first song!

(At my first and only other CW concert, May ‘07, I sat in a mid height seat looking a bit down to the stage. From this seat I was looking slightly up to them. I immediately recognized this was much better. Also I was much closer and in a good spot, I believe, for balanced hearing of the speaker arrays and taking in the grandeur of it all. I also had a great view of every member of the supporting Cast with the pianist being the farthest from me. Perfect view of Ray, Nicky and all the band members! I could watch and listen for everything they were doing- when I forced myself to pry my eyes and ears away from the Ladies that is!)

Rather than describing the entire Set List I will make comments- some of which will be directed to the artist. Mairead first, then alphabetical which will conveniently leave the best for last! I didn’t want to be distracted by note taking on the night- so this will be my best recollection. Surprisingly, I was cognizant of what was going on compared to my first concert. Even cursory experience has its steadying effect I guess.

Mairead can not be described any more than she can be packaged, labeled, bottled or otherwise captured. It seems to me she is boldly and brilliantly, pioneering a whole new art form. Does this art form have a name yet? It is a most unique and elegant blending of sight and sound, yet it is as astonishingly simple and straightforward as a lovely girl and a fiddle! Anyone on the cutting edge of something gets a certain amount of negative criticism from the establishment. Never mind that Mairead. When you decide to let the dust settle, convention will catch up.

I love your fiddle Mairead! I have your album Raining Up and listen to it all the time. Not only can you make the most sweet, conventional sounds come out of that thing I am fascinated by your experimental side. Whatever brilliance you got going on in your pretty head is good with me and you showed us some at Sacramento! Your smile is perhaps the greatest aspect of your physical beauty. And, of all your breathtaking dashes, skips, dancing and spectacular leaps, it’s your twirls that send me to heaven. How you do all these things seamlessly and play so well simultaneously shall remain a fascinating mystery. God bless you Mairead! Airborne!

Not one to rest in place, Mairead has pushed the envelope in her participation with Celtic Woman to the point I can’t help but wonder if anyone at Celtic Woman LTD is in control of this remarkable woman. Let’s hope not!

Within the first half of Alex delivering Caledonia I thought, Man, this girl isn’t shy! It was like she was powerfully yet politely saying, here I am! Like me or leave me! I like, I like was all I could think! I also began to realize Alex could lift the roof off the building if she took a notion- which she just about did when she sang The Voice! Her delivery of The Blessing was outstanding as well.

It was a special joy and privilege to hear and see you live Alex. You possess a marvelous voice and are a beautiful and fine figure of a woman. (I’m a guy so please grant me this little whisper; Ooh la la!) You walked on to one serious set list this spring. Professional that you are you delivered your solos and ensemble lines with incredible power and ease while filling the stage with your distinctly wonderful presence. Thank you for, not only agreeing to be a part of Celtic Woman but pouring out your heart and soul on stage- if even for a brief season. Your time with Celtic Woman may be brief or long- I don’t know. What I do know is once a Celtic Woman, always a Celtic Woman! God bless you Alex. May your dreams and desires take you as far, or near, as you want to go. Oh, and please get a solo CD out! Please!

If the label treasure ever applied it does with this precious young lady. Chloe is just that- a treasure now and into the future. What a bundle of goodness she is- talent, beauty, transparency, meekness, humility and- oh yeah, SUPERSTAR! I was particularly listening for her part in the duet with Lynn in The Last Rose of Summer. Wow Chloe! You nailed it! She sang The Prayer and Nella Fantasia so perfect it seems those songs were written for her. But, then again, she does that with many songs!

One of the astonishing things about Chloe is she possessed an incredible stage presence right from the beginning of Celtic Woman. A presence uniquely hers and all her own. I first became aware of Chloe with the debut CW CD. When I saw her in the opening number of the debut DVD I was blown away by how comfortable she was on stage. Her bright, clear, blue eyes were fully alert and continually scanning the audience. All I could think was; this girl was born for the stage and to sing for us and what a blessing she is! On this night I knew that to be even more true.

It has been a thrill Chloe to know of you from the debut DVD and hear your voice subtly mature thru the subsequent DVDs and on this night. All while watching you go from a beautiful debutant to a beautiful young woman. I look forward to following your music and career for years to come- regardless of where you may go. May God’s face shine down on you Chloe and return to you many more blessings than you have given.

What a brilliant addition to the Celtic Woman alumnus! Lynn easily rises to the high standards of Celtic Woman and the Original Five. Her delivery of her three solos was pure quality while simultaneously showcasing her individuality. She’s got loads of personality and showed it to us on this night. Her performance of Dulaman alone proved that! Lynn continued to impress with her role in the ensembles- especially Orinoco Flow, Beyond the Sea, Over the Rainbow and At the Ceili. Such a lovely young woman fully accomplished now yet with so much promise for the future.

Thank you Lynn for agreeing to be a Celtic Woman. I know not how long the Celtic Woman phenomenon will continue or the long term desires of the Staring cast. My wish is that it will continue for many years and cast changes will occur slowly. Should remaining long with Celtic Woman fit you career aspirations and provide you professional satisfaction perhaps you will have the honor of being known as the first of the second generation of Stars. What a joy it was to hear and see you live. I hope to hear you on many more occasions. Thank you for your solo album- I love it! May you receive every blessing from God from this day forward in more abundance than ever before.

And now I have the impossible task to write of alto/soprano, renowned harpist, the very best of the best and gentlewoman, Ms Òrla Fallon. My absolutely, positively favorite Celtic Woman from the moment I heard her voice and harp on the debut Celtic Woman CD well over two years ago. On this night she knocked my socks off no less than she did last May or the very first time I saw her sing and play on the debut DVD, or televised from Skate for the Heart.

This remarkable woman has it all in abundance. Talent, skill, beauty, grace, gracefulness, timing, rhythm and a majestic presence on stage like no other. Òrla’s voice reaches into me, grabs hold and won’t let go. She magically lifts me to a mystical place. A secret place where the mysterious past and the electric present blend and everything is beautiful. Òrla floats o’r the stage and gestures so openly, warmly inviting us into her musical world. Watching and listening to her sing and move about with Siuil A Run took me to that place as sure as you are sitting and reading right now.

When Òrla stands at her harp I melt. This time I had a perfect view of her and her harp when accompanying Lynn for Scarborough Fair. (Sorry Lynn, my ears were shared with you both but my eyes were with Òrla!) Like a slight of hand magician she seamlessly made her lever changes- in flurries at times. What a Talent! For me Òrla’s singing and playing of Carrickfergus was the high water mark of all the solos. Among this outstanding cast I don’t write that lightly.

Dear Òrla, Thank you for consenting to be a Celtic Woman. My great loss is I knew nothing of you prior. But now I do and I will admire you and your work until my last breath. Thank you for your lifelong commitment to your music and making all those sacrifices and decisions that has brought you to this point in your career- and to us.

What has become clear to me is, not only are you a talent beyond fabulous, you are a courteous, gracious and considerate woman.

Thank you for your commitment to repeat Tours of North America. Though you are a professional and love sharing your music with us long months away from home ‘n hearth surely has their hardships. I don’t take this for granted and regularly pray for your, and indeed the safety, health and wellbeing of the entire Troupe. I ask God’s blessings on you and yours to be tenfold of what you have given so many.Thank you also for your album The Water is Wide. I hope you can make more for us!

Òrla was stunning in the ensembles. Whether floating through numbers like Beyond the Sea or beboppin’ along in numbers like Mo Ghile Mear, At the Ceili and Sing Out!  her voice was magic and she glowed with beauty!

Choreographers must love this woman! From the moment I first saw Òrla I have wondered if her feet are actually in contact with the stage. The way she floats so effortlessly and gracefully I think not! Òrla stands alone with rhythm in Orinoco Flow- always has, always will. And is there a dress conspiracy? I mean, Òrla always has the most beautiful gowns. Or is it just the way she wears them?

At the conclusion of Mo Ghile Mear I shot to my feet, as did other isolated pioneers dispersed about. The applause for each number had been quite hearty. I was surprised that the audience was slow to rise for the end of the Act One. I whispered, come on Sacramento, on your feet! Then it started, at first by twos and threes, then in groups followed by waves of people. The Casts appeared very appreciative of what ended up a robust standing ovation that continued beyond their stage exit. Thank you Sacramento!

end of Part II of three parts.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 08:38AM by greenfire6 » Logged
Celtic Fiddle Chick
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 09:29AM »

Wow, what a detailed review. It makes me feel as if I was there with you. Sounds like you had a good... great.... or even an amazing time. (But then who doesn't) Smiley
Kelli
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 10:07AM »

Trust me, folks, it's worth the jump to catch Part's I and III...great missive, Greenfire, thank you!!!

Visit Órla's Garden, a fansite for Órla Fallon!

What's important often does not stand out but is simply standing quietly.   :  Noah benShe
Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 10:15AM »

Wow, what a detailed review. It makes me feel as if I was there with you. Sounds like you had a good... great.... or even an amazing time. (But then who doesn't) Smiley

Gotta' agree with that!!  WOW!!
Emily!
Honorary Roadie

Mission Accomplished :)

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 04:27PM »

Wooowww really well written review!!!

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart."
kathleen
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 05:32PM »

that was great. Grin I am going over to Orlagh's place to read the rest. Come on everyone....join me!

SusanZ
CWF Global Moderator
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 08:38AM »

It is definitely worth reading the other parts on Orlagh's forum!!

Great job,Greenfire!  Smiley Smiley

Zee

"We create our tomorrows by what we dream today"
Thanks Hayley for the great banner!!
Sorgi

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 04:57PM »

It is definitely worth reading the other parts on Orlagh's forum!!

Great job,Greenfire!  Smiley Smiley

Zee

yes

-Dan

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: