Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Phoenix, hot ensemble, luke warm crowd  (Read 6827 times)
Moscapoet
« on: May 12, 2008, 08:45PM »

OK, I have a night back here in Albuquerque before flying off to Bakersfield for the next concert tomorrow. So here is a review.

Southwest would wing me Saturday to Phoenix. You can't drive it for $59 one way in that eight hour trip. I always travel the day before in case of any snags. Too many years in the airline industry I guess. Super shuttle takes me downtown to the lovely old Hotel San Carlos. What's this? An Irish pub next to the hotel? How cool is that! Well guess where mosca is going for lunch?! Seamus McCafferty's has Guinness on tap and they know how to pour it right. They also have a good menu including some nice Irish faire. Forum member Dwight calls and we chat while I await the fish and chips. He shows up about a half hour later and we chat as I have another pint or two. An older couple comes in and mentions Celtic Woman to us out of the blue. What???!!! OK, we can talk that subject until the cows come home! Clint and Cathy are nice folks and it turns out are also former airline employees. They've spent time at Celtic festivals in Ireland and around the states mentioning particularly Florida. We part and I go to take a nap, check the forums, and refresh. That done, now off to dinner in the hotel. Food good, service not so much. Then a stroll to find the venue which is six blocks away. Back for another pint and then up to the room to see if any inspiration hits. It does and is called sleep.

Up the next morning which is both Pentecost and mum's day. I contemplate going to church but go instead to Starbuck's. Hmmmm, a nearby hotel and CW buses. OK. I take a stroll to Arizona mall which has a few shops about eight blocks away. Back to the pub for lunch of asparagus soup and a pint. Reminds me of pub lunches in Ireland. Clint and Cathy come in and we chat then I go up for a nap (heat drains me a bit), and phone calls with my fellow Mairead forum administrators. Time to go so down to the pub where we are all supposed to meet. CWFan2 and family, Donnis and wife, Dwight and I so I thought. Well, the others had plans so Dwight and I join Clint and Cathy. This is their first live CW experience so we recount what they are in for and I give them various web addresses including this one. Off we go. A co-worker of Dwight's named Dave and his daughter meet us at the venue. Dwight buys her a program. Nice touch Dwight. I had advised Clint and Cathy to be on the alert for possible Mel manouvers or as I call them ISU's (intermission seat upgrades) as they are up in the nose bleed section. We never meet CWFan2 which is too bad as he makes such great posts. We meet Donnis and wife who are in front of us. Nice guy.

OK, concert ready to start so I hand Dave's daughter a Maireadium sign to flash when the fiddler extraordinare is on stage. I brought my fiddler crossing sign. THK comes out and engages the crowd with their fun four songs. I'm moved to get their DVD which I picked up today. Yep, they're that good. Then it is time for the Angel in the mist to start us along another blissful journey. It just never gets old. As the concert progresses I become keenly aware of the lack of crowd support. Seems they forgot to take their Geritol or something. Yes, they applauded at the end of each piece, but for 5000 people it sounded like the gloved muffled applause at a tennis tournament. I feel like standing up and waving my arms to get the ladies support during the various moments that we forum types are used to. I feel bad for the group. Butterfly? No. Granuaile's dance? No. OK will you at least stoke the fires for Mo Ghile Mear? Milk toast! The crowd does join in when the ladies prompt them to do so but frankly the orange seems to have already been squeezed. Sorry folks, but I'm spolied by the smaller but more energetic crowds from the other stops on this tour. Dwight and I did put our hands over our heads and clap sometimes which maybe gave some other folks ideas and we did give some standing O's. Well, I hope Tucson is better. I'm the only forum member in Bakersfield in a couple of nights so I sure hope I don't have to do handstands to juice that crowd. OK, so crummy crowd, great concert by the group.

Chloe- You had such fun with the folks on stage and looked our way a few times. You've met Dwight a couple of times and he thinks the world of you. How could anyone not? Your voice gets fuller and more lovely with each concert stop.

Orlagh- You continue to be the epitome of Ireland along with friend harp. Lovely as always.

Alex- Some want you to be on the next DVD, myself included, if for no other reason than as reward for your wonderful work standing in for Lisa. That exposure would be a great gift to you. You can still sing the socks off anything!

Lynn- Thank you so much for the smiles and little moves. Meeting you twice plus on this tour was a delight, and you endear yourself to me each time I hear you. Dulaman is just marvelous and you have made it your own along with the others.

Mairead- You were fiddling yourself silly and the hair was flying like a blond tornado. You did all you could to spice up the crowd and each performance is a gem. Well, there is enough love in handful of forum folks to make up for the 5000. Sort of like Jesus with the loaves and fish  Cheesy. I still pray they will have you do your rendition of Last Rose of Summer on the DVD. It simply must be preserved.

Amy- You make my night every time. Your smiles and waves really do mean so much. Thank you for your friendship and your contribution to the best ensemble ever. Luv ya maple leaf!

Supporting cast- Great as always. I felt awful that Des didn't get what many of us expect and that is a round of applause from your guitar solo. I was stunned. Jules, nice job as always.

Well, we made our way back to the pub for a nightcap half hoping that Rachel, who I'd run into there earlier in the day, would have some of the folks there after the concert. They have sessions there Fridays and Sundays from 7-10. Well, no such luck even though they were very near. Ahhh, well, doesn't matter. Another great night from the best the world has to offer in music. One more show for me and then to wait like all the rest for August and the next creation from David's genius.           
Trouble
Bodhrán Player

Play with Fire.

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 08:53PM »

Great review Moscapoet! Sorry the crowd was half asleep. Sad  Oh well, each crowd is different and this one seemed to be really reserved.  At least the show was great!  Wink

Thanks Lindsey
cool2it
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 08:55PM »

Great review Scott!!! Sounds like a real dud of a crowd though.  Maybe they think they SHOULDN'T get into it!!  How much more fun they would have if they did!!   Maybe Bakersfield will be better.  I sure hope so for your and the girls sake.  I worry that my cuz's concert in Long Beach will be like that and she won't experience the true CW spirit.  Maybe we should suggest to CW Ltd they send about thirty of us to all the shows just to get the people UP!!!!   Probably won't go for it, huh!!  Good luck on the next show!!

Thanks for the terrific banner Rich!!  PLEASE, Let's all help in the fight against ALS
Moscapoet
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 09:02PM »

Thanks Cait! Thanks Gary! Hmmmm, Dear CW LTD., forum members at every concert right up front to help juice the crowd would seem in order.  Grin. Well, we showed them how it was done in Toledo thanks to Thomas, Mel, Sara, you, and all the rest of us. We just have to find ways to get forum members at each concert and up close. I will say though that afterwards the crowd was buzzing about how good the show was. Nearly everyone I heard had plenty of great comments especially about Mairead. I hope your cousin will get a full dose of what a CW concert truly is. I know I'll do what I can in BFL. Wait for the August concert though and maybe hundreds of energetic forum types! Good thing it's outdoors or it would blow the roof off! 
07-sara
Bodhrán Player

Smile, you never know who's watching.

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 09:04PM »

Great review Scott.  I like you're thinking Gary!  Smiley

Happy is what happens, when all your dreams come true!

Sara
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 09:35PM »

heat drains me a bit)

what heat? it was only 95.

Mos, you could have gone to Church. St Mary's Cathederal is across teh street from the Arizona Center.

Jim

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Dwight

I am Celtic Woman's favorite Dwight!

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 10:28AM »

They should all come back in about a month when its 118!   Cheesy

heat drains me a bit)

what heat? it was only 95.

Mos, you could have gone to Church. St Mary's Cathederal is across teh street from the Arizona Center.

Jim

I am Celtic Woman's favorite Dwight!
Pianoman14
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 10:35AM »

One more show for me and then to wait like all the rest for August and the next creation from David's genius.           

Is that the affirmed date for the new show? In August?
aislin
Administrator
Total Fanatic

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 10:54AM »

Is that the affirmed date for the new show? In August?

As Rich said here the new show will probably be taped in August.

And as I've said on another Phoenix thread, please refrain from commenting on the audience just because they didn't show what you consider the appropriate enthusiasm for the show. Not everyone everywhere is inclined towards ebullience.

aislin
Jeanine
Honorary Roadie

Christmas Symphony Tour was WONderful!!

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 07:17PM »

Thanks for the review! Smiley

"Come to Me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." - Jesus Christ
(Matthew 11:28)
Shywolf(Craig)
Total Fanatic

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 07:34PM »

Scott, where is the closet airport from Mosca, Colorado? And alot circle crops there.
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 08:08PM »

Not everyone everywhere is inclined towards ebullience

I thought that was a requirement in order to get in.  Grin

Jim

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Moscapoet
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2008, 12:26AM »

You're welcome Jeanine.

Craig, Alamosa has air service but I fly out of Albuquerque four hours south. I'm not wild about flying out of Denver and it is four hours away too.

Jim, it should be a requirement  Grin, but not everyone has it. 
albopooh

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 04:13AM »

Great Review! I'm glad you had a good time at the show!
Shywolf(Craig)
Total Fanatic

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2008, 11:07AM »

Scott, ok  that is drive to either one.  Shocked
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: